Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last track day of the year - FATT Nov 16

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default Last track day of the year for me - FATT Nov 16-Summit Pt

Friday at the Track - Summit Point Main, with BSR.
Booked it before hearing of the repaving on Summit Main.
Will be running gp 1. Time to get off the snide and see if I can get signed off for 2i. Anyone else scheduled?
DennyM

Last edited by MungoZ06; 11-01-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:50 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I'll see you there, Denny

Denny,

I have a chance to get signed off on Nov. 16 also. My instructor from October will be back and I will seek him out. I made a lot of progress before I even showed up and session #1 that Friday was really good. I have 4 out of 5 on all my ratings now. You'll need to instructors to give you all 5's to sign off. I still need to work on my heel/toe downshifting, it's a comfort thing, but when I did just one session with NASA the next day (SAT), I finally made them all, under pressure.

See you there. Are you 1A or 1B? Hopefully we will get a good variety of cars like October. There was a Viper, GT500, C6Z06, and Ford GT all in group 1. All but the GT in my group--it was a lot of fun--I did very well vs my previous performance. There were lots of BMW Z4's and Suburau STI's too--not much of a challenge for the C5Z.

See ya!

PS Don't forget to protect your car--they have a pea gravel trap at the track out of T3 now and if someone goes off it is all over the track.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Friday at the Track - Summit Point Main, with BSR.
Booked it before hearing of the repaving on Summit Main.
Will be running gp 1. Time to get off the snide and see if I can get signed off for 2i. Anyone else scheduled?
DennyM
Hey Denny & Andrew, I will be there (of course!!). It will be my 16th day at Summit this year. Andrew I know you and I met last time (I have the yellow C6 Z06). Denny, I look forward to meeting you. Not many of the usual group are showing up. Viper in group 2 will be back (unless his Ariel Atom has arrived!). Also the NASA BMW. Outside of that we will see.
Denny you will love the new track. It is really smooth and mostly faster.
Group 1A and 1B are the same. They only do this because they have so many signing up for these groups. When you get to group 2 they do not fill up so much so it is easier to get track days!
You can elect to be in either 1A or 1B when you register (provided they haven't filled up). You guys should pick one so you can run together. I always picked A because you get done 1/2 earlier. Also you can line your cars up on the grid ahead of time. That way you can start with a clean track and you can be running together.

Geoff
Old 11-01-2007, 05:26 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Geoff17
Hey Denny & Andrew, I will be there (of course!!). It will be my 16th day at Summit this year. ... Denny you will love the new track. It is really smooth and mostly faster.
Group 1A and 1B are the same. They only do this because they have so many signing up for these groups. When you get to group 2 they do not fill up so much so it is easier to get track days!
... Geoff
Yeah! A track junkie!
I'll look for you ...
I assume you're running Gp2 ... hell, you're prolly solo and ready for "Seat Time"
I'm planning on going out with my old GY F1 streets ... they should be just about gone and I can practice the proper "slip angle"
Old 11-01-2007, 07:43 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Yeah! A track junkie!
I'll look for you ...
I assume you're running Gp2 ... hell, you're prolly solo and ready for "Seat Time"
I'm planning on going out with my old GY F1 streets ... they should be just about gone and I can practice the proper "slip angle"
Wait--what happened to your Nitto's?? I am running my 2 year old 275-40-17 Nittos on back! How old are the F1's? You can borrow some tires from me if you need them!

Denny, Geoff, we can pit at the far end of the parking lot just as Geoff and I did before; it was a nice spot with shade. Be great to hang out with track junkies!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:49 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Andrew I know you and I met last time (I have the yellow C6 Z06). Denny, I look forward to meeting you.

You guys should pick one so you can run together. I always picked A because you get done 1/2 earlier. Also you can line your cars up on the grid ahead of time. That way you can start with a clean track and you can be running together.

Geoff
Geoff, you'll like Denny, he's a great guy.

With respect to the Grid--Ha, Ha! Yeah, that is just what I do! Line up behind the car that I want to run with, preferrably at the head of the pack so there is some open track for a while. I take still pictures too. I've done this several places and it's a blast. In October I almost had the Ferrari line up behind me, he moved up 3 or 4 cars and I never saw him during the session.

17 times is awesome--was that all on the Main track? What other groups do you run with, any of the BMW or Ferrari clubs or what not?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Geoff, you'll like Denny, he's a great guy.

With respect to the Grid--Ha, Ha! Yeah, that is just what I do! Line up behind the car that I want to run with, preferrably at the head of the pack so there is some open track for a while. I take still pictures too. I've done this several places and it's a blast. In October I almost had the Ferrari line up behind me, he moved up 3 or 4 cars and I never saw him during the session.

17 times is awesome--was that all on the Main track? What other groups do you run with, any of the BMW or Ferrari clubs or what not?
You and Mungo should hook up together. My experience is that the Corvettes typically run the fastest on this track. It wil be much more rewarding being with an equal capable car Vs the slower Marques that you can run into.

All days this year at Summit have been on the main track. Outside of this year I have 2 track days. The first was April last year on Shenandoah. I Immediately became hooked and couldn't get another track day until November (because the Novice groups fill up so quickly). In November I did the main track and said goodbye to Shenandoah. This year I ran 4 days at VIR and the rest at Summit. I have run with 2 Porsche clubs, 1 Ferrari club and 1 Corvette club. The Corvette club was the fastest but they have all been great.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah! A track junkie!
I'll look for you ...
I am a junkie and I was hooked on my first experience. After the 11/16 FATT I will have a total of 22 track days, 18 at Summit. I need to get to other tracks. That will be my goal next year.

When you are ready you will find "Seat Time" is much better than FATT. You get 6 sessions Vs 4 sessions and mostly faster cars and better drivers.

I ran on the C6 Z06 stock runflats and they were very good tires. The took awhile to warm up (2-3 laps depending on temp) but I was really impressed. I ran low 1:24 times with them on the main circuit. Then I went to the Hoosiers. My times were only 1 second faster (yes that was my fault) but there was no drama. Now my times are much better with the R6's and I am sure I have several more seconds to shave off.

Anyway, keep tracking, Summit is a great (& under rated) venue. I look forward to meeting you.

Geoff
Old 11-01-2007, 10:03 PM
sidewys
Advanced

Going.

Will be instructing, but I can sneak out in other run groups if I have time, and a passenger (hint,hint)

Geoff is right, the new pavement is awesome, Vettes love it!

Looking forward to seeing you again Geoff and everyone else too.

Randy
Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sidewys
Going.

Will be instructing, but I can sneak out in other run groups if I have time, and a passenger (hint,hint)

Randy
This will be a special treat with you there Randy. Thanks again for the help you provided me with my brake issue last time we met.

Are you bringing your Ford GT buddy? That car is awesome.

It would be great if you have a chance to come join my run group, I would love to track with you. I know, as an instructor your time is limited but I sure would enjoy it. Your triple black Z is scary just looking at it. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

See you on the 16th.

Geoff
Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Going.

Randy
OH, so you were the guy in October with the Black Z? Wow I love that car in Black. I got a real good shot of it--I'm going to use it for wall paper on my work PC.

Hey, if you need a passenger, I'm game.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:13 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

You and Mungo should hook up together. My experience is that the Corvettes typically run the fastest on this track. It wil be much more rewarding being with an equal capable car Vs the slower Marques that you can run into.

Geoff,

You are so right--I had by far the most fun with the Viper. Put a lot of pressure on me--I need to handle it better so everthing is second nature. The BMW's, GT500, etc were not learning experiences except to follow your own line + not tailgate.

I won't be able to keep up with Denny just yet unless those street tires are pretty bad. But as with the Viper, it will be fun to try.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:51 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

I'm envious. Summit Point is a great track. Was debating on signing up for the 11/16 (it can get pretty cold up in the "mountains" by then), then my wife made the decision for me. She needs a ride to the airport, so it will be next spring before I headed down again.

Haven't been there since they resurfaced. I heard some comments how they were going to "save" the concrete patches, have they? I don't see how they could repave and not go over it.

I have been only 3 times at the main track, but I really liked it. It is a "mini" Watkins Glenn!

Visited the Jefferson circuit for many years, but the main track is really outstanding. Never did Shenandoah, but somehow didn't have a great desire to try it (too many concrete walls).

I was told group 1a is primarily for first timers and 1b is for drivers with a little more track time with faster cars. Sometimes it can get "busy" with slower drivers, but you'll learn much faster when you go slower. Once you learn the line, the speed comes on its own. Make sure you take advantage of the skid pad (if it's available).

See you guys in the spring, I'll be the one pointing you by from my slow C4 (I'm in group 2).

Word of caution: your tires will not grip as well in the cold, but your motor will gain plenty of power. More power, less traction - be careful out there.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:45 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Wait--what happened to your Nitto's?? I am running my 2 year old 275-40-17 Nittos on back! How old are the F1's? You can borrow some tires from me if you need them!
Thanks for the offer ... that's generous of you. Nitto's are ok ... After driving to VIR and back, I drove to Watkins Glen in Aug and ran on them there, then did two days of time trials (28 runs) on Jefferson Circuit at Circuit in Sept.
F1's will be OK ... my objective is to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the instructor that I can meet the criteria for sign-off and move up to 2. I can do that on street tires (as Pete says ... cold day and tires and good power ... watch it ... I watched a Z06 pitch into the trees off the end of the lower straight on Jefferson Nov '05 so I've seen that "up close")
Denny, Geoff, we can pit at the far end of the parking lot just as Geoff and I did before; it was a nice spot with shade. Be great to hang out with track junkies!
Yeah ... I'll be looking for shade in Nov! ... ... like ... avoid it!
I'll look for your cars when I get there ... by "far end" do you mean toward the bridge entrance and away from Classroom/Tech shed area?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:21 PM
sidewys
Advanced

OH, so you were the guy in October with the Black Z? Wow I love that car in Black. I got a real good shot of it--I'm going to use it for wall paper on my work PC.

Hey, if you need a passenger, I'm game.
Thanks for the compliment, now if I could just keep it clean.......

Geoff- Unfortunately the GT will not be running this time, another buddy of mine is bringing his VW R32, a fun little car. Did you get a chance to run to test out our theory yet? As far as getting out in your run group I will definitely try. Heck, with the amount of time you have on SP this year I may be following you around!

Sothpaw- it would be great if you could send me the picture; PM me with a link to the picture or I can PM you my email what ever works.
You are welcome to a ride if you can track me down, BSR keeps us pretty busy.

Pumped,

Randy
Old 11-02-2007, 06:02 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

I can do that on street tires (as Pete says ... cold day and tires and good power ... watch it ... I watched a Z06 pitch into the trees off the end of the lower straight on Jefferson Nov '05 so I've seen that "up close")

Yeah ... I'll be looking for shade in Nov! ... ... like ... avoid it!
I'll look for your cars when I get there ... by "far end" do you mean toward the bridge entrance and away from Classroom/Tech shed area?
I'm with you on the tires issue. I know nothing will stick unless it's at least 60 F. I just might try comp. mode once as a precaution. Like you, I will be looking to get 4 sessions of consistency with good heel toe down shifts in the braking zones leading to T1, T5, and T10. All while paying just a bit more attention to flags and traffic behind and in front.

Look at the bright side of cold air--it was 62 in Oct. and my oil temp didn't go over 245 F. Not bad considering I have NO coolers or anything and headers which probably heat it up more. By 'far end' I mean near the tech shed--when you come in over the bridge drive on the main lot all the way back just past the tech shed.

Incidently, do you have any picture for installing the rear brake pads like you had for the front ones? Those were nice instructions you sent me earlier this year.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:07 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Thanks for the compliment, now if I could just keep it clean.......

Sothpaw- it would be great if you could send me the picture; PM me with a link to the picture or I can PM you my email what ever works.
You are welcome to a ride if you can track me down, BSR keeps us pretty busy.

Pumped,

Randy
Randy,

Send me your email and I'll send you the shots. I have some of the Ford GT & the Ferrari and quite a few of the Viper. Honestly, your Z looks better (read: NASTIER) then the Viper. I like the old ACR Vipers better than these new ones.

Get notified of new replies

To Last track day of the year - FATT Nov 16

Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 PM
fmrfast
Racer

Is that going to be on the Main track?

I can use some practice Friday before the races Sat & Sunday
Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fmrfast
Is that going to be on the Main track?

I can use some practice Friday before the races Sat & Sunday
Yes--get on the wait list and you might get in.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm signed up and will be in Group2i

Haven't been on Summit main in over 3 years and fully expect to be LOST!!!
Mike

Quick Reply: Last track day of the year - FATT Nov 16