Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok... so new car tracks hours not miles, when to change oil? Switch to synthetics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Ok... so new car tracks hours not miles, when to change oil? Switch to synthetics?

Panoz track car gets the oil changed monthly w/ castrol regular 10w30. I'm wondering how I should go about changing the oil being that the car will be tracked 5-10x a year.

Also... I was considering a full trans/dif/motor swap to sythetics. In my Z06 I change the oil ever 3-4 HPDEs and the trans/diff annually.

Opinions?

Swapping to synthetics is ok right? If I remember it's an old wives tale that everything will start to leak etc. I think mobil 1's website addressees this but of course they're trying to sell oil.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Panoz track car gets the oil changed monthly w/ castrol regular 10w30. I'm wondering how I should go about changing the oil being that the car will be tracked 5-10x a year.

Also... I was considering a full trans/dif/motor swap to sythetics. In my Z06 I change the oil ever 3-4 HPDEs and the trans/diff annually.

Opinions?

Swapping to synthetics is ok right? If I remember it's an old wives tale that everything will start to leak etc. I think mobil 1's website addressees this but of course they're trying to sell oil.
I put Mobil1 in my auto tranny ....... tranny died soon after.

I put Mobil1 into my diff.......diff side plate started leaking soon after.

DH
Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

test it why guess? My testing tells me 2500 track miles before changing on my car with my temps. Also it will depend how much you add between changes.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Gatorac
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never believed that was possible. It doesn't make sense. Hogwash. nfw Then I had a 92 5.0. I put synthetic in it. The rear seal started to leak. I replaced the seal. The new one leaked. I had about given up trying to fix it when I remembered the 'ol tale. I put dino oil back in and in a couple of weeks, the leak stopped. I'm now a believer.

My GTRA currently has a small rear seal leak. I suspect that Panoz was running synthetic in it. By the looks of the oil there's no way they changed it monthly. I'm going to give it a couple of changes with dino oil and see how the leak is before I replace the seal.

The trans will need GM or Penzoil Syncromesh fluid. Penzoil makes Syncromesh for GM so buy the Pennzoil and save $6 a quart. You'll need 2.75 qts.

If I were me, I'd keep about the same schedule you had on the Vette. Change the oil after 6 months or 3 track events. Change the tranny and diff once a year.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I put M1 ATF in my trans and M1 Gear Oil in the diff. Change every 4 events. No problems, no leaks.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Gatorac
I never believed that was possible. It doesn't make sense. Hogwash. nfw Then I had a 92 5.0. I put synthetic in it. The rear seal started to leak. I replaced the seal. The new one leaked. I had about given up trying to fix it when I remembered the 'ol tale. I put dino oil back in and in a couple of weeks, the leak stopped. I'm now a believer.

My GTRA currently has a small rear seal leak. I suspect that Panoz was running synthetic in it. By the looks of the oil there's no way they changed it monthly. I'm going to give it a couple of changes with dino oil and see how the leak is before I replace the seal.

The trans will need GM or Penzoil Syncromesh fluid. Penzoil makes Syncromesh for GM so buy the Pennzoil and save $6 a quart. You'll need 2.75 qts.

If I were me, I'd keep about the same schedule you had on the Vette. Change the oil after 6 months or 3 track events. Change the tranny and diff once a year.
Hmmm... rear main seeping? Time for a 331 Hayes told us the cars got monthly oil changes w/ castrol 10w30 dino oil... castrol was a sponsor of the school.

Does the trans and diff have drain/fill plugs like the Corvettes? Or do you hae to remove the diff cover to drain, then fill in the top?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

One obvious difference that you seem to have overlooked. You are now running FORD CRAP so you shouldn't expect it to perform like a Chevy!
Sorry man, I just had to say it
Anthony
Old 11-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Gatorac
Pro

Does the trans and diff have drain/fill plugs like the Corvettes? Or do you hae to remove the diff cover to drain, then fill in the top?
Trans has plugs similar to the Vette. The diff is even easier. There's a drain plug on the bottom. There's a hole in the side to check the fluid level and there's a plug in the top to fill. There's enough room to just dump the fluid into the top fill hole.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Excellent... do you fill the trans the same way... pump it in until it just overflows?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Gatorac
Pro

^ Excellent... do you fill the trans the same way... pump it in until it just overflows?
Yup
Old 11-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Great... thanks for the info... what trans/dif fluids are you running? The car should be delivered mid next week so I can look it over.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:15 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Science made the oil so use science to test the oil for 25 bucks.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok... so new car tracks hours not miles, when to change oil? Switch to synthetics?

Quick Reply: Ok... so new car tracks hours not miles, when to change oil? Switch to synthetics?