Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Customer Service from Tire Rack and Kumho

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Default Great Customer Service from Tire Rack and Kumho

At my last autocross of the season one of my Kumho 710s lost a piece of its tread rubber. I had purchased a set of 4 of these tires from Tire Rack the last week of August and they had been through a number of autocrosses plus 4 track days at Watkins Glen. I sent this picture to Nellie at Tire Rack and she advised me to return the tire for inspection. I did that last week and was notified today they have credited my account with a full refund for the tire, heat cycling and shipping.

Bill
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are tops on my list for customer service. I've never had a tire problem, but ordering from them is nothing short of stellar.
You always know what your order status is, and if there is a problem, they have always contacted me quickly. The problem has always been me fat-fingering my credit card number or some bone-head problem like that. They contacted me and fixed the issue, to make sure the order went out the same day.

Last month I ordered some new Pilot sports to be drop-shipped to a local dealer. I placed the order at 3pm and the dealer called me the next morning to tell me it was in. HTH can they do that?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I had a problem with tires purchased from Tire Rack. They were outstanding in their customer service.

I had purchased my second set of Pirelli Scorpions ( 31/10.5-15 ) for my '90 Suburban. I had them drop shipped to Kurt at Phoenix in Palm,PA ( he's a recommended installer for Tire Rack )

He put them on and they took over a half pound of weight each to balance. He even Road Force balanced them to no avail.

He called Tire Rack and they agreed to send another set of tires to him. ( He had already road force balanced them and gave them the "out of balance weight" for all four tires and the serial numbers off the tires. )

Two days later, my next set of new Pirellis were there. It looked like they had mounted the tires to check them out ( goop on the beads ) They did "allow" me to drive those two days on the tires as that was my work vehicle.

They also reimbursed Kurt for his time and sent him "recall tags" for return shipping.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2007, 09:01 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Good for you, Bill...

I had a similar problem w/ my 710s (although not quite as severe as yours) & called Tire Rack. They asked if I used the tires for racing (DUH); I said, of course.

Basically, they told me I was SOL... I then told the gal maybe I should call Kuhmo & she said they'd refer me back to them & I'd get the same answer.

I've purchased many tires over the years from them--I wasn't happy...
Old 10-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
Good for you, Bill...

I had a similar problem w/ my 710s (although not quite as severe as yours) & called Tire Rack. They asked if I used the tires for racing (DUH); I said, of course.

Basically, they told me I was SOL... I then told the gal maybe I should call Kuhmo & she said they'd refer me back to them & I'd get the same answer.

I've purchased many tires over the years from them--I wasn't happy...
There are some things they do not cover on Competition tires such as the tread splice separating (which is a much less severe form of what I had happen, you can see the normal separation that occurs in the picture). I talked to Nellie about the problem and e-mailed her a picture and she said send it back for inspection. I had to pay the return shipping but all in all I did get some use out of the tire. They did ask for a statement from me that detailed how many miles were on the tire and where it was mounted on the car. I gave them dates of events, miles per event and location on the car.

Bill
Old 10-31-2007, 01:31 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have had nothing but GREAT results with TR over the past 20 years of autocrossing. Have bought literally EVERY tire and wheel set from them since then - and that's a LOT of booties.

However, Kumho had a Big-Time problem with tread separation on a large number of V710's. They really should have no alternative but to be so 'cooperative' because of that dubious history.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:49 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kuhmo and the Tire Rack did me no good. Set of Kuhmos with hundreds of tiny razor blade type slits on the side wall. Told no refund race tire. I told them I just wanted to know what was wrong with them not looking for credit. Shipped them back them a tire then Kuhmo and Tire Rack blamed each other for losing it. I told them I had three more but they didn't want any. Gave me credit for one tire I returned. Later I found out it was side wall failure. Nice after doing 165 at Pocono No more Kuhmo for me.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

My experience with the Tire Rack is not much different than with any other place I do business with.

I jam buttloads & buttloads of money at them and I get stuff delivered on my front porch. Kind like the pizza man.

It's good to hear, though, they didn't desert you when there was a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Great Customer Service from Tire Rack and Kumho

Quick Reply: Great Customer Service from Tire Rack and Kumho