Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fantastic Penske shock Rebuild experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:50 PM
drbenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fantastic Penske shock Rebuild experience

Just wanted to share my experience from my first race since having my Penske 7500 rebound adjustable shocks rebuilt by Leading Edge Motorsports and Hardbar. I bought the shocks in 2004 for T1 racing as this was the shock that was legal with stock sized shock body. Since I had changed the stock Z06 suspension to T1 at the same time, I really didn't have any idea what role the shocks themselves had in the overall suspension change.

I will not go into the changes they made to the shocks , but I can tell you that the car was a completely different animal. There was a tremendous improvement in grip under throttle from the apex of the corner to exit. Before, i really had to be cautious with getting on the throttle as the transition from balanced to power oversteer was very sudden. Also, the car seemed to not get nearly as unsettled going over bumps which made my braking much more reproducible and allowed a lot more speed through the esses at Buttonwillow. I had to go up a full gear to avoid hitting the 3rd gear rev limiter half way throught the esses. Also, for those of us on a budget, my tire wear was unbelievable. I used the same set of Hooser tires all weekend and they still look great. Before, I would be lucky if my fronts would last a day without having some asymmetric wear, which often lead me to discard them.

So, if any of you are planning to buy shocks or have yours rebuilt, you might want to talk to LEMD/Harbar before you make your decision. I thought about just buying some new double or triple adjustable shocks from penske or Moton, but they are a lot of money for those of us who are in racing for a hobby and on a budget. Aside from the money, my concern also was that I wouldn't be able to set them up correctly. I don't have a lot of extra time for testing days and I wanted something that would be good right out of the box.

I don't mean to be a flag waver for these guys, but I had the best weekend since I bought the car and even set the T1 lap record. It was the first time that the car drove with a degree of predictability that I felt comfortable to push the car near its limits.

Roy
Old 10-29-2007, 11:25 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks Roy. I am a budget racer too.

How bout it Gary, have ya got anything for us C2 racers?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks Doc, we are very happy that it is such a success. It is a very different philosophy, you had massive, (ridiculous) rebound with almost no compression damping. This makes that wheels pound down and not react over bumps nor respond to transitions. We feel that the tires will work better if they are in contact with the track !
As far as C2 setups, we can do a steel bodied Penske for about $200 a corner and it goes up from there to a non-adjustable aluminum bodied 7500 series like Roy’s for about $400 each then to the very sophisticated new 8300 series doubles with the remote reservoirs for $815 each . Unfortunately I don't have the '66 around anymore but if I had a front and rear off of your car we could do it. BTW, we dyno each and every shock and provide the dyno charts to the customer.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 AM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary has always done a great job with the shocks for me. With a fast turn around as well.
Gary,
I will be getting a set of C3 shocks to you in the next few weeks I would like to do a set of singles for Daves 70.

Get notified of new replies

To Fantastic Penske shock Rebuild experience

Quick Reply: Fantastic Penske shock Rebuild experience