Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni 3013 1023/24 - anyone using?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Koni 3013 1023/24 - anyone using?

These are the "upside down" shocks where the shock body attaches to the car & just the rod goes to the LCA.

I have been using for about 6 months & had to return 2 shocks because the front (lower) rubber bushing works it's way out of the metal circle.

Anyone one else using these/any problems?

Single adj.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:29 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have too few miles on the ones on my car to tell you. All I can tell you is I don't like the bump valving much at all, and the rebound adjustment is too wide since it's near useless until you put 3-4 sweeps in to the shock...
Old 10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Talk with Raftracer, I know that he is big on the Koni's.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:18 PM
SteveC6R
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had them that long but I will keep an eye on what your observations/troubles have been.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:19 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by SteveC6R
I haven't had them that long but I will keep an eye on what your observations/troubles have been.

Check the lower front bushings often.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 PM
loco engineer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just installed mine and haven't messed with them at all yet. The compession does seem to be a lot stiffer. I want them for adjustable autox shocks. Bill
Old 10-31-2007, 02:56 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I am not that pleased with how the adjustment is made. They don't even give you a tool. I made my own adjusting "pins" out of a steel punch & a couple of allen wrenches, grind down the ends to fit the adjuster hole.

I faced the adjust spot front on the fronts & back on the rears so (with a long arm) you can reach in and "swipe" the adjuster. For the front I usually drive up on a piece of wood so it's easier to get under (lowered car).
Old 10-31-2007, 07:09 PM
SteveC6R
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The adjutment procedure is a major PIA! And I will agree that for the money you pay for them, they should have included some kind of tool for adjusting them.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:22 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Very interesting...I have the older 3013 (non inverted) and the compression is less than the stock 01Z shocks they replaced so ride quality actually improved. I am surprised they raised this on the revision, I would not want it.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72
Very interesting...I have the older 3013 (non inverted) and the compression is less than the stock 01Z shocks they replaced so ride quality actually improved. I am surprised they raised this on the revision, I would not want it.

With full soft setting all around (using my butt o meter) the ride is comparable to the 04 oem shocks I took off. When you crank to full stiff they are pretty rock hard.

I am not disappointed with the shock, so far as control, just the quality problem I am having (bushing movement) & difficult to adjust.

On my c4 I had QA1 shocks & they were quite easy to adjust (twist ****) & worked pretty well soft to stiff.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by froggy47
With full soft setting all around (using my butt o meter) the ride is comparable to the 04 oem shocks I took off. When you crank to full stiff they are pretty rock hard.
These shocks are single-adjustable for rebound; "rock hard" is a weird way to think of that. :-) I was disappointed in the change I felt from the C6 Z51 shocks (~12Kmi) to the Koni 3013Sports... ultimate grip did not feel much better on track, and as I mentioned the minimum rebound adjustment seems to be in the 3-4 sweep range...

A very different description can be found in drbenne's thread about the LEMD/HardbarUSA rebuild of his Penske 7500 shocks!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I'm still getting used to mine - I have maybe 3 autocrosses on them now. The bump does seem a little stiffer than the '02 stockers I took off. As far as rebound, I have mine set at 4-sweeps front and 2 rear, and that seems like an okay place to start. I don't know that the shocks can or will give you any more absolute cornering grip, but the response when changing direction is dramatically improved.

I haven't adjusted them since I put them on, but I'm confident it will be a pain in the *** when I do.

PS: Since I put them on, I seem to be fighting a throttle-on push that I didn't have before. This should mean I need a little more rebound in the front, right?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:25 AM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by froggy47
You are only adjusting rebound with that, not compression (bump). The bump in the older 3013 was less than the 01-03 shocks, not sure how it compares to the 04 shocks.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZedOtSix
I'm still getting used to mine - I have maybe 3 autocrosses on them now. The bump does seem a little stiffer than the '02 stockers I took off. As far as rebound, I have mine set at 4-sweeps front and 2 rear, and that seems like an okay place to start. I don't know that the shocks can or will give you any more absolute cornering grip, but the response when changing direction is dramatically improved.
With 2 sweeps in the rear cresting the hill at T9 at Thunderhill was scary. Not as scary as trying to run 2 sweeps in the front! But still scary. Braking was the worst. The car felt like it was standing on its nose and the rear became somewhat unsettled.

Good shocks with good valving should definitely help you achieve better overall grip! Nobody would bother upgrading to the mega-buck shocks if all you needed was a rebound adjuster to help control transistions.

I haven't adjusted them since I put them on, but I'm confident it will be a pain in the *** when I do.
The rears aren't bad. I faced the adjusters towards the rear and just lay down behind/under the car with a small allan wrench. The front is a PITA, though, as I have 18x11s and pretty much have to pull the wheel to reach the adjusters.

PS: Since I put them on, I seem to be fighting a throttle-on push that I didn't have before. This should mean I need a little more rebound in the front, right?
That would make the most sense to me; try to keep some weight on the front wheels a little longer. Too much rebound, though, and you'll end up lightening the front end as you try to pick up the wheels. You'll just have to play with it and see.

Did you adjust ride-height/corner weights after putting on the KONIs? I found my ride-height increase measurably and it wasn't consistent front-to-rear so it changed the rake of the car... and that could also explain you're new push.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:06 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by gkmccready
These shocks are single-adjustable for rebound; "rock hard" is a weird way to think of that. :-) I was disappointed in the change I felt from the C6 Z51 shocks (~12Kmi) to the Koni 3013Sports... ultimate grip did not feel much better on track, and as I mentioned the minimum rebound adjustment seems to be in the 3-4 sweep range...

A very different description can be found in drbenne's thread about the LEMD/HardbarUSA rebuild of his Penske 7500 shocks!
They compress & sort of stay there, hence they feel "hard". Not a technical dissertation.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:15 AM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Koni Sport fronts bushing slip out

Yes I had the same problem, worked with Koni NA, no solution, so went with Bilstein Sport for now. See my posts.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Dave OH32
Instructor

I had the bushings on both fronts slip out at the SCCA Southeast Divisional Championship Finale event this weekend... Pretty damn annoying....Contacted my friend at Koni... we'll see what happens...

Get notified of new replies

To Koni 3013 1023/24 - anyone using?

Quick Reply: Koni 3013 1023/24 - anyone using?