Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wtf is wrong with the ABS on the C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:50 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wtf is wrong with the ABS on the C6

I have had my car for a month now. I have raced it at least once each weekend. As the harder I push the car, I have noticed the ABS seems to be a weak spot on the car. Whenever it engages, the car doesn't seem to slow down at all. The pedal and ABS just seem to pulsate and the car makes no effort what so ever to slow down. I usually have to pump it again to slow the car. I am just curious to see if others are having the same problem. Maybe I am in the ice mode? I don't know, I hate the ABS, TC and AH on the car.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:11 AM
SteveC6R
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem with mine. Ice mode usually is a big thing when your going backwards. When you first bought it did you break in the car properly?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:13 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tmak26b
I have had my car for a month now. I have raced it at least once each weekend. As the harder I push the car, I have noticed the ABS seems to be a weak spot on the car. Whenever it engages, the car doesn't seem to slow down at all. The pedal and ABS just seem to pulsate and the car makes no effort what so ever to slow down. I usually have to pump it again to slow the car. I am just curious to see if others are having the same problem. Maybe I am in the ice mode? I don't know, I hate the ABS, TC and AH on the car.
i think your rotors are glazed! get new rotors or turn those and put new pads on and break them in properly G/L
Old 10-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

What do you mean you have to pump it again? Describe what you are doing.

Bill
Old 10-27-2007, 06:15 AM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

It's not a problem with the rotors. The car stops okay when the ABS isn't on. It's just when the ABS engages, the car just won't freaking slow down and stop. I dont know if the ABS is in ice mode, causing it to just pulse and not do what it is suppose to. It's actually quite annoying.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You mention you are taking the car to the track frequently, are doing a full flush of the brake fluid BEFORE AND AFTER EACH TRACK EVENT?

When the ABS comes on, and the car is not stopping there is not enough friction between the brake pad and brake fluid. This is a sign of boiled the current brake fluid and glazed or overheated the brake pads.

Ok if the car stops fine when ABS does not come on a few things need to be done:

1. fresh DOT 4 brake fluid - Full brake fluid flush, not just the calipers.
2. New brake pads - stock are fine for street use - but not the track. C5Z06 brake pads are OK for occasional track events
3. clean the surface of the rotors with spry brake cleaner.

Good Luck

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-27-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

It sounds like he is definately getting into the ice mode.

Ice mode is energized when the RATE of deceleration of one or more wheels exceeds a preset value. That is, one wheel or more stops so quickly that the computer says "aha!!" the only way this can happen is if the tires are on ice, and therefore I am going to limt deceleration to an appropriate value...

Bill, when this happens, you have to get out of the brakes and essentially reset the computer. A quick lift and then you can brake hard again.

There are a numbr of things that can cause this.

The most common one is if you have a wheel very lightly loaded when you hit the brakes hard. If you have a wheel in the air, it stops so fast that the computer thinks you are on ice.

You may have some anomoly in the braking system that is causing one wheel to "grab". Typically glazing isn't the problem since that keeps the rotors from grabbing, but if three rotors were glazed and one wasn't, the "good" rotor could grab harder and invoke the ice mode.

Finally, maybe it's you.. Try not to "hammer" the brakes so hard at braking onset. Too much braking too fast upsets the car anyway, so brake a bit sooner and smoother. I know it doesn't sound as fast but it really is faster.

Last edited by Solofast; 10-27-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:49 AM
racer02
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure sounds like an electronic issue (ABS related) rather than anything with the pads, rotors, fluid, etc.

My guess is that you are triggering the "ice mode" which in my experience feels just like ABS malfunction....just alot of shuddering and not much stopping. It seems to be triggered at one turn at one of my local tracks. Seems to happen most often when I run in comp mode, and in this particular turn it happens when I jump straight from having the active handling engaged (hard on the gas right hand sweeper) to a quick but firm braking zone. In this case if I am not ultra smooth it will go into this "ice mode" and it feels like the pedal is very high and firm (already pumped up) but I don't get braking worth a crap. In my experience you have to get off the brakes and back on them to get normal braking again.

Maybe something to do with hitting the brakes when the computer is already using them (i.e. active handling is cycling the rear brakes to control wheelspin?) Maybe some turns or situations trick the computer into thinking something wierd is going on and triggers this "ice mode" crap in an attempt to out-think you?

I have a feeling that my overagressiveness (hey, its fun!) in this turn is a likely cause, but I would also say that this "ice mode" crap is definitely not a desired feature and can be downright scary.

BTW, this happed in my 02' Z06 and has happened in my 07' Z51.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:09 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Ice mode? that sounds dangerous if you track a C6
Old 10-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Ice mode? that sounds dangerous if you track a C6
This problem has been around since the early ABS in the C4. At one memorable Pro Solo in Cincinnati in about 89, EVERY Corvette almost hit a curb at one point because we were slamming on the brakes with the car in the air. The quick fix was to defuse the problem (literally) by replacing the good fuse in the ABS with one that had been blown (by shorting it across the battery terminals) That way we couldn't be accused of disabling it, "the fuse musta just blown?"

Anyway it takes bit of presence of mind to get off the brakes when danger is looming so that you can get back into them and stop the car.

I would have liked it better if the "Ice Mode" was turned off when the car was in competition mode or when the active handling system was disabled. But the lawers know best, they aren't going to disable it even if it makes no sense to have it on the track. Since the computer KNOWS how cold it is outside, you would think that they could disable it if the OAT was above 40 degrees or something like that...

Anyway there isn't much you can do about it, so you gotta live with it.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Solofast
This problem has been around since the early ABS in the C4.
Really. The only time I experience something like what the OP stated was when I boiled ATE Super Blue fluid and was using Hawk HP Plus brake pads. Just too hard and late braking for an under performance brake or wrong brake pad choice for the 135 mph to 50 mph stops.

Not that attempting to keep up with a GT3 with a very experienced driver had anything to do with it
Old 10-27-2007, 11:32 AM
anotherone
Pro

since im from fl it took me a few seconds to figure out what the hell does i c e stand for. Too funny! Good info tho and thanks.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:26 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Do you run with the AH and TC off? The car will brake better with them off. First time I was at the track with my C6 I forgot to turn them off on one of my sessions and damn near went off on roller coaster because the car wouldn't stop.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pull the fuse to the abs and see if the car brakes well. That would isolate the abs system. I would flush the fluid as a start in any case, and check out obivous parts like pads, calipers, rotors etc.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Timz06
Pull the fuse to the abs and see if the car brakes well. That would isolate the abs system. I would flush the fluid as a start in any case, and check out obivous parts like pads, calipers, rotors etc.
I tried that on a later (94) C4 and ended up pulling three different fuses and the ABS STILL WORKED!!! This was at a event where we were running on the back roads of a fairgrounds and one corner had some gravel on it and I kept getting ice mode there. Was never able to disable the abs.... I pulled the abs fuse in the passenger door fuse box, the ABS fuse under the hood near the battery, one other I forget where. I was between runs looking at the owners manual and yanking anything that looked like an ABS fuse trying to depower the thing and the abs still kept workin! Finally just gave up and drove the car....

I am a bit surprised GM hasn't gotten sued over the ice mode, because really, in my mind it is dangerous..
Old 10-27-2007, 03:20 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Do you have different wheels for street and track?

If so, are your track wheels different sizes from your street wheels?

If your track tires are on something like 18 inch wheels on the back with a smaller diameter tire, your ABS may be a little confused because of a difference in rotational speeds from what it senses with the OE street setup.

As far as AH and TC, you can turn that completely off, so it shouldn't be a bother to you at all.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-27-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:29 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had my car for a month now. I have raced it at least once each weekend.
What track do you go to every weekend to race?

Get notified of new replies

To Wtf is wrong with the ABS on the C6

Old 10-27-2007, 04:19 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Do you have different wheels for street and track?

If so, are your track wheels different sizes from your street wheels?

If your track tires are on something like 18 inch wheels on the back with a smaller diameter tire, your ABS may be a little confused because of a difference in rotational speeds from what it senses with the OE street setup.
As far as AH and TC, you can turn that completely off, so it shouldn't be a bother to you at all.

Bob
Sorry to disagree, but ABS does not care what size the tires are (how many revolutions per mile). AH and TC on the other hand, DO CARE.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
I am a bit surprised GM hasn't gotten sued over the ice mode, because really, in my mind it is dangerous..
I am not sure it is that prevalent. Where applicable I always make maximum use of the ABS when running an autocross. I have never experienced the so called ice mode and I have autocrossed an 86, followed by a 97 and then an 03 Z many times over the last 16 years.

Bill
Old 10-27-2007, 04:50 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

There is only one bump in one corner that upsets my ABS on my C4. This is out of 10 different tracks that I've run. Just one location.
The bump must be where I apply the brakes, and 1 wheel must get light, and I can feel the ABS virbrating the brake pedal.

The answer is to simply lift off the brake pedal for a split second when you feel that ABS problem, and then re-apply.

It's not a fluid issue, and not a pad issue. Just lift and reapply by squeezing the pedal, not jabbing the brakes.

as far as flushing fluid before and after every event..... that is a bit on the obsessive side

Quick Reply: Wtf is wrong with the ABS on the C6