Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body/Paint protection tips needed for track.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:31 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Body/Paint protection tips needed for track.

Signed up for my first road course event Dec 1st at Road Atlanta. It's a Panoz Racing School program and I will be in group "C" which allows no passing until graduated to group "B". I'll be taking my bone stock '03 ZO6. This car is flawless at the moment and I want to keep it that way as much as possible. What products are available (and recommended by those of you with actual track experience) to keep my Z rock chip free?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Signed up for my first road course event Dec 1st at Road Atlanta. It's a Panoz Racing School program and I will be in group "C" which allows no passing until graduated to group "B". I'll be taking my bone stock '03 ZO6. This car is flawless at the moment and I want to keep it that way as much as possible. What products are available (and recommended by those of you with actual track experience) to keep my Z rock chip free?

Painter's tape......

Hammer
Old 10-25-2007, 11:48 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

flawless it will not stay on a road course unless you cover the whole car I have chips any where you can think of on the body of mine, even the trunk lid,
Old 10-26-2007, 01:16 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

You can use some of the Scotch green painters tape (P/N 233+). It is a little more rugged than the blue stuff since it used on cars where the paint is being wet sanded. You can get it at various auto finishers supply stores. I get mine at a place called Colours.

Use a good bra like the GM bra and mirror bras to protect the nose and mirrors from track (rubber) debris.

The tape works fine around the wheel wells, rocker panels, lower door panels. In addition I use it to seal off the open ends where the bra stops at the front wheel well opening. This keeps dirt from the wheel from being thrown behind the bra. I also use it to wrap around the edge of my mirror bras so the force of the air rushing by at 140+ doesn't get under them and tear them off.

If you don't get to close to cars in front of you the hood and roof should get by fine. Otherwise you will get some black rubber streaks on them.

Bill
Old 10-26-2007, 09:18 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I use painters tape and clear shelf paper from Walmart. As other's have pointed out, if you go to the track you'll get some marks. My MCM hood will probably have to be re-painted to eliminate the marks. Tape the car and go and enjoy.

Gene
Old 10-26-2007, 10:21 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Black Z like you. IMHO you can't beat the clear shelf paper from wal-mart for $5 a roll. I do the nose (the GM bra is a huge PIA to get on--if you have a good bra--use that instead), the front 1/2 of the hood, the headlights, the mirrors, the bottom of the door, the fenders, etc with about 1.5 rolls. It would be less than 1 roll if you have the bra.

I disagree with the notion that you can keep cleaner by staying away from people. As you get better, you will be following them awaiting a pass. Also, if someone, anyone in the last few days, goes off the track and gets pea gravel or whatever all over the track, then you will get pelted with this. This happened to me right after the guy went off so I went right thru the gravel at 90 mph--guess what--no chips--the shelf paper has holes but it absorbed enough energy that the paint did not chip.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:37 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I have a Black Z like you. IMHO you can't beat the clear shelf paper from wal-mart for $5 a roll. I do the nose (the GM bra is a huge PIA to get on--if you have a good bra--use that instead), the front 1/2 of the hood, the headlights, the mirrors, the bottom of the door, the fenders, etc with about 1.5 rolls. It would be less than 1 roll if you have the bra.

I disagree with the notion that you can keep cleaner by staying away from people. As you get better, you will be following them awaiting a pass. Also, if someone, anyone in the last few days, goes off the track and gets pea gravel or whatever all over the track, then you will get pelted with this. This happened to me right after the guy went off so I went right thru the gravel at 90 mph--guess what--no chips--the shelf paper has holes but it absorbed enough energy that the paint did not chip.
That's great advice. Do you happen to have any pictures of your car dressed up ready for the track? And where at Wally-World would I find this?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:16 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a bra from c5 creations. Its a stretchy nylon that goes on and off in seconds.

I use gaffers tape on the rocker panels and up the wheel wells.

You can find gaffers tape on the net, it comes in 4" wide rolls and different colors.

Your still gonna get scratches and chips on the hood, windshhield, headlights, fenders, doors.....

Ohh, and wait till you see this shiny grime you have to polish off the rear of your car. Not to mention all the marbles that will get picked up in every nook and cranny of your car as well as the melted, hardened shards of rubber that get fused to the inside of your wheels.

Heck, I think I am gonna just stop trying to protect the nose and rockers.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:27 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
That's great advice. Do you happen to have any pictures of your car dressed up ready for the track? And where at Wally-World would I find this?
I have a few pictures I could email. I have a picture of a Viper in front of me in the pit lane getting ready to go out on track too... and a Ferrari behind!

The contact paper is in the arts/crafts section of Wal-Mart.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:23 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use racers tape and then use 3M General Purpose Cleaner to remove any residue when I'm done. It also works great to clean up any rubber, bugs or road tar that I pick up over the weekend. I usually follow that up with some (wax) cleaner and a coat of wax.

I like the GM C5 bra for the C5 Z06. I have the intake holes cut out, but unless you have the Vararam or any other intake that utilizes the intake holes, you don't need to do anything to the clear plastic over the intake holes. The C5 bra is much easier to install because you don't have to deal with those little clips around the intake. I also purchased a set of mirror covers that match the bra.

The high impact areas are the nose of the car, including part way up the hood, the mirrors, the first inch or so of the roof, the areas directly behind the wheels, the lower rocker all the way down the side and the area around the rear brake ducts. I'd tape all those areas if you want to keep your car pristine.

Any of the suggestions written here are good though. Just go with whatever you feel comfortable with.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:36 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a substance you can paint on the car with a small roller, it dries to a clea bra (very close) and you peel it off when done. I cant remember the name, but this stuff protects like tape, but doesnt look as hideous.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:02 PM
RossJackM
Instructor

[QUOTE=sperkins;1562467229]Signed up for my first road course event Dec 1st at Road Atlanta. It's a Panoz Racing School program and I will be in group "C" which allows no passing until graduated to group "B". I'll be taking my bone stock '03 ZO6. This car is flawless at the moment and I want to keep it that way as much as possible. What products are available (and recommended by those of you with actual track experience) to keep my Z rock chip free?

By rossjackm at 2007-10-27
This is a picture at CMP,Carolinas Motorsport Park,Kershaw, SC, with Carpet protector film from Lowes, same stuff used by realtors to protect rugs and carpet in new homes. ~$4/roll. Next to me is a Z06 with the above mentioned Bra. Takes your pick!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:01 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Found the name, it's called max guard.

Going on wet

Dry:

Peeling off:

After:

Old 10-27-2007, 09:34 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Thanks a lot guys. Tons of great information here. I'm sure I'll have lots of other questions very soon. Hope to see some of you at the track.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:16 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a web site for this?

Anyone else use this? How does it do when wet or damp?

Nice product.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Found the name, it's called max guard.

Going on wet

Dry:

Peeling off:

After:

Old 10-28-2007, 05:47 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

There is no website, I got it from discovery parts. They dont even have it on their website. I bought quite a bit because some of the Porsche guys wanted some, and they always sell out almost immediately. They only get 12 or so bottles at a time.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Hazman
Racer

Can you post up a scan of the label for this product? Or would you be willing to part with a bottle for a price??

Last edited by Hazman; 10-28-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Body/Paint protection tips needed for track.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:50 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You can use plastic carpet protection tape. I don't know the proper name, but it comes in a wide clear roll and is used to protect carpet from foot traffic and debris when doing work inside a home. The one at home depot is the only one I have used that peels off easily and leaves no residue. The one at OSH can leave residue. I used it on race cars for reasons other than protecting paint, but it will do the job much the same as shelf paper and wraps around curves decently.

-V
Old 10-28-2007, 11:44 PM
GoTreo
Pro

Originally Posted by sothpaw2

UNless I put it on wrong, shelf paper from Walmart comes off at 160+ mph as pictured at one of my sessions at Road America this year.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Would that clear roll on stuff work for the windshield? It also takes a beating and it is forever!

Quick Reply: Body/Paint protection tips needed for track.