Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wear rates of different Carbotech Compounds...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:53 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wear rates of different Carbotech Compounds...

I recently used a set of XP12's on my car for the first time this year. I previously used everything from XP8 through XP10's, but this was my first time using the XP12's. I used Wilwood H's for the past 2 years previsouly. Besides working very well and taking HARD abuse at the track and never overheating, I noticed the XP12's seem to last pretty well. Besides the obvious advantage of the higher torque compounds in performance, is there any wear advantage to using them vs lower torque compounds? Is it just me or do they seem to last longer than say an XP8 used under the same conditions? It seems the lower pads have a more difficult time handling the heat and subsequently wear out faster?

The reason I ask is that the XP12/16's are more expensive than the 8/10's, BUT if they seem to last longer under hard track conditions, you may get your money's worth by simply buying the more expensive pad, than wearing through say an XP8 at a faster rate? Has anyone noticed this as well or maybe it was just a coincidence and the tracks/style I drove those days?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:02 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Old 10-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

My XP12 were done after 1 weekend... maybe the C6Z caliper padletts last longer.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:18 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
My XP12 were done after 1 weekend... maybe the C6Z caliper padletts last longer.
Let me clarify, 3 events + 3 days for me. I was suprised specifically because the C6Z is know to wear them faster. I also notice that some of the paddlets wear out much faster than the other paddlets. For example the leading edge paddlets on the inside seem to wear out the fastest. Since both front and rear paddlets are all the same, I can actually take the rear paddlets and echange them for the front paddlets and get another day or so out of the pad, by transferring them around.

But again, does anyone notice the more race oriented compounds seem to last longer? Or maybe it's just a coincidence?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
No they don't last longer. I ran a couple of sets of XP12s last year (the only high-temp pads available for C6Z at that time) and both sets sucked. They shuddered. Carbotech said I didn't bed them right, although I followed their instructions to the letter. They also only lasted two days at Pocono.

My second set also shuddered and lasted 3 HPDE days.

Now I am back to Hawk DTC70s. Ran them for 3 days without trouble. Great bite and smooth as silk. I was able to brake late once more without worrying about the $%^&* brakes.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:24 PM
rickeolis
Instructor

I see it just the opposite: For the last 2 years, I've been running a highly modded WRX on the road courses and have been running Carbotech XP12's for some time.
Just because it was suggested, I tried a set of DTC 60's which grabbed ok, but didn't last as long. The bad part was that the Hawks ate the finish off my wheels and the acidic brake dust got all over my car. The ceramic-based Panthers didn't cause me that issue before.

-Rick-
Old 10-25-2007, 07:15 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

xp12's do not last nearly as long as PF01's, but they are gentler on rotors.
as far as dust, black car with black wheels
Old 10-25-2007, 07:33 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rickeolis
I see it just the opposite: For the last 2 years, I've been running a highly modded WRX on the road courses and have been running Carbotech XP12's for some time.
Just because it was suggested, I tried a set of DTC 60's which grabbed ok, but didn't last as long. The bad part was that the Hawks ate the finish off my wheels and the acidic brake dust got all over my car. The ceramic-based Panthers didn't cause me that issue before.

-Rick-
What's the weight of a WRX? I would think it would be a lot less than a C4 which is a heavy car. This should not be a comparision.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:35 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the blur
xp12's do not last nearly as long as PF01's, but they are gentler on rotors.
as far as dust, black car with black wheels
You ROCK, Black car and Black wheels. CT sucks. PFC rules. Simple as that. Why don't people get IT?

If you care about dust, you should be in the waxer forum.....
Old 10-25-2007, 08:36 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
You ROCK, Black car and Black wheels. CT sucks. PFC rules. Simple as that. Why don't people get IT?

If you care about dust, you should be in the waxer forum.....
PFC makes good pads. I have used PFC01 pads in the C5Z with great success. They don't yet make C6Z padlets.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

The XP8 is doing OK as a street pad and a track pad.

WRX weight is showing 3263 for an '05. Which is pretty close to a C4. The C5 is 3246. My '88 is listed 3330. I have lightened mine some from that. The Z06 is showing lighter.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/imprez...tml#dimensions

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/spec...2000specs.html

It's very easy to find this data with a quick Google search. The action center should just be bookmarked.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:19 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought a used set of xp12s to try at VIR this past weekend. They were right at 1/4" when I put them on. I used them for 4 sessions, incorrectly for most of the first 2 (riding them too long), them correctly for the last 2 (harder for shorter periods). When I took them off, they were still about 1/4". I would have driven my car a little harder if I new they would lasted this long. Going to get a new set for next time. But damn, do they dust!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
PFC makes good pads. I have used PFC01 pads in the C5Z with great success. They don't yet make C6Z padlets.

Frank Gonzalez
Correct! So C6Z guys are limited to Carbotech, Hawk or RB at this point. The RB's simply wear TOO fast even though they are the cheapest, the Hawk's probably work the best, but the dust is corrosive and like concrete when it gets wet, so that leaves Carbotech.

I found the XP12's to work fine (at least for HPDE), and for the cost of the C6Z rotors, I am going to aviod the 16's or DTC-70's as they will only give me a tenth here or there, and that is not worth eating through rotors twice as fast.

If PFC comes out with some paddlets, I'd like to try them, but from prior experience in my C5, they made the rotors crack that much faster, so again at least for me and HPDE, I am looking for more economical compromise.

One day when I sell this thing and maybe get a Lotus Elise, I will never worry about braking issues again. It shouldn't take much to stop a 1950lb car!

Last edited by 95jersey; 10-26-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 95jersey
One day when I sell this thing and maybe get a Lotus Elise, I will never worry about braking issues again. It shouldn't take much to stop a 1950lb car!
OK, but driving the Elise you will be looking at a lot of Vette rear ends!!!

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-26-2007, 10:30 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the XP12/10 setup on my C5Z. I have two days at CMP and 3 days at Roebling. I pull them off yesterday to replace my bushing and I still have enough pad to start next season with, rotor do not have any heat cracks yet either.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:58 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
OK, but driving the Elise you will be looking at a lot of Vette rear ends!!!

Frank Gonzalez
I would miss the raw power of a vette, but after driving an Elise, I was AMAZED at how well the car handled and how fun it was. My concern with the Z has become overall expense of running the car and top speeds. We just don't realize how fast these things are anymore, after slowly moving up from stock C4's, to my modded C5Z, then this 493rwhp monster, we are just simply FLYING out there. How much is too much for a street car?

I had the opportunity to test drive a Sector 111 Supercharged Elise and it was a BLAST. It had 265hp (vs stock 190), BUT only weight 1950lbs (that is 1200lb less than our cars), and had adjustable ohlins coil overs and only cost $35k (used). It blew my mind. It was C5Z fast in a strait line, but vastly superior under braking and corners. While the C6Z is still faster, I would bet I could get faster lap times than even a well prepared C5 in this thing.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:07 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Carbotech offers one piece brake pads for the C6 Z06.

I've been using them since March of this year. We still have some issues, but all in all I am continuing to use the Carbotech pads. They don't fade... and for the most part (some shudder), IMO they are smoother feeling than the Wilwood "H" pads I used on the C-5 Z06's.

Fronts: P/N CT1185-S-XP12

rears : P/N CT1185R-SXP10

I got 4 days @ VIR, 2 days with NCM followed by 2 days with Chin. I drove up & back from Atlanta and when we took the pads off... they were almost down to the rivets.

I only got 2 days with another set of front pads @ Barber, rears lasted ~ twice as long.

Brake shudder seems to vary from set to set. The shudder range has been from "very mild" to... Whoa @ Road Atlanta, forcing early braking going into turn 10 A.

Get notified of new replies

To Wear rates of different Carbotech Compounds...

Old 10-26-2007, 11:13 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
:

I got 4 days @ VIR, 2 days with NCM followed by 2 days with Chin. I drove up & back from Atlanta and when we took the pads off... they were almost down to the rivets.

If I read this correctly, you got a totally of 8 days out of 1 set of brake pads?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:46 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Well, mine is a C5Z, but log my opinion in the doesn't last nearly long enough bin. I've run XP10s as well as Wilwood Js, and never noticed the rapid wear I had on my XP12s. They survived only 2 weekends + 2 sessions** on the third and were down to the backing plate. For over $200 per front set, I need more than that.

I'm paying even closer attention now, but from what I'm noticing, these Wilwood Js seem to have just as much bite and performance, but don't wear nearly as fast. If that means more frequent rotor replacements...hey, I'd rather go half as long w/ a $50 set of front rotors and twice as long w/ a set of $200 front pads than the other way around!

Fred

** = 1 weekend at Road Atlanta...as I was learning the course and not going very fast; 1 at Barber; 2 add'l sessions at Road Atlanta
Old 10-26-2007, 11:50 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fhturner
Well, mine is a C5Z, but log my opinion in the doesn't last nearly long enough bin. I've run XP10s as well as Wilwood Js, and never noticed the rapid wear I had on my XP12s. They survived only 2 weekends + 2 sessions** on the third and were down to the backing plate. For over $200 per front set, I need more than that.

I'm paying even closer attention now, but from what I'm noticing, these Wilwood Js seem to have just as much bite and performance, but don't wear nearly as fast. If that means more frequent rotor replacements...hey, I'd rather go half as long w/ a $50 set of front rotors and twice as long w/ a set of $200 front pads than the other way around!

Fred

** = 1 weekend at Road Atlanta...as I was learning the course and not going very fast; 1 at Barber; 2 add'l sessions at Road Atlanta

For a C5 you are DEAD ON! I would rather replace 10 rotors than 1 set of pads, but the C6Z is a different animal. Rotors are $130ea. If I could get 4 days or 2 weekend out of a set of paddlets, I'd JUMP for joy! One of the reasons I am getting fustrated with this thing.

Quick Reply: Wear rates of different Carbotech Compounds...