Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holding the Runoffs at Indy - send this letter!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:39 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holding the Runoffs at Indy - send this letter!!

Here's my letter. If you're an SCCA member and you like it and the idea, please send it to: president@scca.com and the board of directors bod@scca.com Pass it on to your friends and other members...and we'll see how it goes.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I, ____________________________ strongly endorse holding the 2009 SCCA National Championships (Runoffs) at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. While I applaud the work and diligence of the Heartland Park Staff, the track configuration and stature is simply not acceptable for a race of this magnitude.

Indianapolis has many strong assets perfect for the SCCA Runoffs. First, it is one of the oldest and most historic sites in the country and would provide a great deal of prestige to the SCCA. It would be a huge incentive both for the racers and for prospective members, knowing they’ll have a chance to win a National Title at the Brickyard. That alone would greatly increase membership and participation.

Second, it is a neutral site which should not benefit any one particular region. No one would be allowed to test or race on the track during the year. It is a Runoffs only track and configuration.

Third, the road race configuration will not favor one brand of car over another. While there is a long straight, the back side of the course is extremely twisty and requires a car with great handling and brakes. The surface and curbing is obviously FIA certified, which was yet another irritant at the most recent event at HPT.

Fourth, the facilities at Indianapolis are first class with plenty of space, garages, etc. for every type of racer and budget.

Fifth, the location is very good. Although not centered in the states like HPT, it is west and south of the former Runoffs site (Mid Ohio) which would certainly benefit the majority of the SCCA members. The weather should also be very good at that location and time of year.

Sixth, the Speedway has no major events during the last part of September and first part of October and could host the event.

The Speedway’s event coordinator is Libby Neidlinger. She said that they obviously have not done anything like this in the past; however they do rent the track out to certain clubs (Mustang, etc.) so they can take one slow lap around the oval. So there is a precedent set for renting the track. She said she needed a written request to begin the process - sent to:

Libby Neidlinger
Indianapolis Motor Speedway
4790 West 16th St.
Indianapolis, IN 46222

In summary, Indianapolis Motor Speedway is clearly one of the biggest names in racing and would provide the SCCA with a world class facility to hold their National Championship Races. It would give the SCCA yet another added boost over NASA and provide its members with the best possible place to decide the national champions.

Signed __________________________________

SCCA # _________________________________

Last edited by wtknght1; 10-25-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Cost is outragous to rent Indy....Good luck on getting them to do this....

Why not Mid-Ohio again or other tracks? There are some awesome tracks out there besides Indy...You are paying for the name..

Adam
Old 10-25-2007, 11:45 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

You don't know that. And since Tony George either is or was an SCCA member, he might give them a break. You don't know until you try. All I know is that Topeka ain't cuttin' it! Mid Ohio was OK, but Indy would be awesome.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here is what I do know...

To do 1 (single) 35mph parade lap around the track it is $1K. That is expensive. I have worked enough with Indy to know they it is extremly expensive. SCCA may have an in at Indy, we know the VP, and that hardly helped any....

Good luck with this, and although I have never been to SCCA runoffs, I think Indy may not be the right choice...

Adam
Old 10-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

It's be interesting to see how that'd play with Tony G. I think it'd be a fantastic venue for the Runoffs.

Good Luck!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:23 PM
mpowers
Advanced

How about a move back to Road Atlanta?

btw my uncle is paralized from the waist down and they could not get him on the tour bus for the track ride. So we took his caddy for no additional cost.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

That must have been part of the grounds tour...
Old 10-29-2007, 05:39 PM
bcstonic
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The guys on the west coast will not like the tow. That is a problem with the east coast tracks. But running at Indy might bring their support.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the idea of the Runoffs on neutral ground (and premier neutral ground at that) but it's going to come down to money. How much TG wants to tie up his facility for 2 weeks (testing, practice, qualifing, races) and how much SCCA has thrown at HPT. The Solo nats are in Kansas, The SCCA home office is in Kansas, The Runoffs are in Kansas. This is an unwinable pizzin contest (not that I don't think it's a great idea, it is. I just don't ever see it happening). /:\
Old 10-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The Moto GP motorcycle race is currently on Sept 14 2008 at IMS

You would have to make sure that it didn't conflict with that.

More importantly, Tony doesn't rent out the track for small change.

I sincerely doubt that SCCA could afford it.

That said IMS is a fantastic venue, but since it is basically a big time money making operation, they very likely would not cut SCCA a deal that would even be in the realm of possibility. IMS staff for any event numbers in the many hundreds, and they simply aren't geared to do it any other way. They are there to put on a show and sell tickets, and face it, without big names there isn't going to be much of a gate for IMS to make money on. They don't need the money, and to them, letting a bunch of amateur racers on the "hollowed ground" would, in their mind just cheepen the place.

I'd love to see it, but I would put really long odds on it happening...

Better to look for a more attainable track

Last edited by Solofast; 10-29-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:06 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds good Chris! You never know unless you try.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Solofast
Better to look for a more attainable track
They did that...it's called HPT...and nobody likes it. That kind of thinking is what got the SCCA in the position they are in now.

The powers that be (older SCCA members) must think younger and out of the box to attract new members, who are looking at NASA more and more.

Right now, the thing NASA doesn't have is TV coverage. How long before they do? Getting Indy or some big-name track would be another feather in SCCA's cap and bring back some folks they've lost over the past few years. You can't just do things because "It's always been done that way." You have to think new, fresh and what the people want.

Finally, from what I understand Tony G. was a former open wheel racer in the SCCA years and years ago. He might be willing to help out his former organization. You never know what you can do until you put your will behind it. And, the president of SCCA, Jim Julow (sp?) apparently has a meeting with IMS in January. If he gets it done, the runoffs will have 1000 cars show up instead of the dwindling numbers they are now experiencing. If NASA gets Indy, the SCCA will fall...Period.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Steve49841
Advanced

Why do you seem to have a problem with NASA? Isn't there enough room for both?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:26 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I don't have a problem with NASA...never said I did. I think NASA has been good for racing in general - gives options and fresh ideas. I don't want to see either group go away. I want to see both groups increase. Although I've never raced a NASA event, I like the SCCA's approach a bit more - supposedly equal cars...letting the drivers decide it.

I think somebody once said, NASA is for cars, while SCCA is for drivers. From what I've seen and heard, I think that's probably pretty close - something for everybody and every taste!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Wasn't Carl Hass chairman of the board of directors of the SCCA for years and years? Seems he'd be the man to go talk to T George.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:38 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I'll pass this thread on to a few people and see if they can produce a number.

Like solofast said, I think it's a long shot.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
They did that...it's called HPT...and nobody likes it.
No disagreement here, HPT isn't near the venue that Mid was or, for that matter Road Atlanta was either. Those were excellent tracks and HPT isn't even in the same league with them (and I have driven all three).

There has been a small explosion in tracks lately, but not sure that many of them are all that interesting from a driver point of view. To my mind tracks like Road Atlanta, Mid RA and others that are in a natural setting and have a lot of character, difficult corners and elevation changes, are better places to have an SCCA National championship event. As you have most ably noted, HPT isn't one of those tracks.

I think IMS would be great, but even it doesn't have the elevation changes and the general interest of a track like Mid, I was just thinking that there could be better places than IMS from a drivers standpoint.

Also would the SCCA be in trouble with HPT if they yank the Runoffs? Part of the deal was to provide a pad for the Solo II nationals ( which HPT did, even though it is a marginal site). AT NO CHARGE TO SCCA.]

So if SCCA moved the Runoffs to anyplace else would they have an event site for the Solo Nationals??? (As with anything else, politics get into the mix here too, not that the Road Racers should have to suffer for the Solo guy, they shouldn't)

Would also point out that HPT has made several improvements this year for the Runoffs to make the track better (Note also that I didn't say it was good, only less bad) and they appear to be trying, so I do give them credit for that, I do doubt that it will ever be a "Runoff quality" track

I am no fan of HPT for either event. Just trying to point out that it gets complicated.

If Tony were so inclined to be charitable, hey maybe it could happen. I just wouldn't make book on it...

Get notified of new replies

To Holding the Runoffs at Indy - send this letter!!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:07 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

The Runoffs contract was for 3 years. 2008 will mark the 3d year. You could still have the Solo nats wherever you wanted. It would have no affect on the runoffs. They could still do the Solos at HPT.

For the Runoffs though, you need a big stage - Indy has a great stage and a decent track. RA, Mid, Road America, VIR have awesome tracks and a fair stage. HPT has neither. It's time to move on.

This should not be complicated. Rent a great track; invite the best racers in the country; ask Speedchannel to cover it; watch the fireworks.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Someone just needs to build an awesome track dead smack in the middle of the country and make a killing.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:43 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Someone just needs to build an awesome track dead smack in the middle of the country and make a killing.
Hallett in Tulsa is pretty much in the middle, but not as nice a the others. Though I still enjoy that track IMO.

Quine

Quick Reply: Holding the Runoffs at Indy - send this letter!!