Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought from VIR this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:17 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Thought from VIR this weekend!

What a great weekend for tracking. Finally got all the stuff on my car to where I felt comfortable enough to push it hard. I drove the crap out of it this weekend and it did great. I could have pushed it harder, so I am eager to get back to improve. Questions:

1) Just curious what speeds I should be doing at the end of the front straight, thru the esses, and up the back straght?

2) What turns should my tires be squealing?

3) Should I be downshifting to 2nd at Oak Tree or staying in 3rd? It seemed like it took the sc too long to get wound up, or would I lose more by doing the extra shift?

4) What is the trick to getting thru 5(?) and 6 to get a good run towards the esses?

5) Are the experienced people really doing 130 thru the esses?

6) My instructor had me drive with TC off - right or wrong?

Thoughts:

1) Upgraded brake fluid makes a big difference.

2) The blue Viper was really fast

3) Car never got above 214 deg after any session - probably need to drive it harder. Was expecting more with sc.

4) I was physically tired after 4 sessions, especially my left arm. I guess I need to pull more(?) with right hand. Instructor stayed on me about not letting my left hand go past 12 o'clock.

5) I thought because I had done 4 track days, incl 1 at VIR, I didn't need and instructor, but I was glad I was given one. Bob Hill was my instructor. I hope he gets paid somehow. Only once did he try to jump out. Apparently, if you don't start thru the esses right, you cannot make it up thru the next ones HA!HA!

6) Pretty much open track all day. Never seemed crowded.

Any input would be appreciated. Can't wait to go again!

BTW - I could not find any CF people. I asked everyone I talked to.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:00 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I was in the yellow C6Z06 in the instructor group, George was in the white group. We weren't hard to find. To speeds on the back straight were down due to the wind. I was just cracking 161-162, where-as I was hitting over 165 last time I was at VIR.

You don't have enough events for your questions to be especially usefull, and it's different for every car/driver. You should have 20-30 track days before running solo in most groups. Just keep cranking out the laps and you'll answer your own questions
Old 10-25-2007, 12:08 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this helps.

What a great weekend for tracking. Finally got all the stuff on my car to where I felt comfortable enough to push it hard. I drove the crap out of it this weekend and it did great. I could have pushed it harder, so I am eager to get back to improve. Questions:

1) Just curious what speeds I should be doing at the end of the front straight, thru the esses, and up the back straght?

Generally top out of 4th gear (straights). If you have torque, run 5th space permitting.

Most of them, expecially > 45*.

3) Should I be downshifting to 2nd at Oak Tree or staying in 3rd? It seemed like it took the sc too long to get wound up, or would I lose more by doing the extra shift?

Stay in 3rd. Shifting wastes too much time. See youtube.com search "viper VIR" for a good smooth run, most do it that way. But use 2nd sometimes if you like.

4) What is the trick to getting thru 5(?) and 6 to get a good run towards the esses?

Slide through. Takes practice.

Sure. Somewhat unnerving. But you slow down as you go through them. Careful with the front if it leaves the ground.

I think you mean AH. It's good for getting to know the track at first.

Thoughts:

1) Upgraded brake fluid makes a big difference.

Um hmm.

2) The blue Viper was really fast

Nice car, good driver. He was in another group.

3) Car never got above 214 deg after any session - probably need to drive it harder. Was expecting more with sc.

Sounds right.

4) I was physically tired after 4 sessions, especially my left arm. I guess I need to pull more(?) with right hand. Instructor stayed on me about not letting my left hand go past 12 o'clock.

5) I thought because I had done 4 track days, incl 1 at VIR, I didn't need and instructor, but I was glad I was given one. Bob Hill was my instructor. I hope he gets paid somehow. Only once did he try to jump out. Apparently, if you don't start thru the esses right, you cannot make it up thru the next ones HA!HA!

Every instructor has a different edge to present.

6) Pretty much open track all day. Never seemed crowded.

Unfortunately it was an undersold event, due to the NASCAR weekend. Did make for good running.

Any input would be appreciated. Can't wait to go again!

Wish I knew. I parked way over in the condos and would be glad to talk anytime, just come over next time.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:47 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

For now just enjoy and have fun. Lots of seat time and then more seat time.

Your speed is what you are comfortable with.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,730 Likes on 783 Posts

I was driving the red c5 Z06 in White Group, not sure if we spoke or not - what were you driving?

Originally Posted by waddisme
This depends on your corner exit speeds, which in turn depends on your skill and comfort level. In my C5 I usually run about 145 at the end of the back straight, similar for the front straight.

In general, it is not that they should squeal, or should not squeal.......if they squeal, you are close to the adhesion limit. Take care at this point, and think back to determine if you made a mistake, such as overcooking the corner.

For now, keep it in third and concentrate on the line. There is a lot happening here, and the extra shift is one more variable that will make life difficult until you are comfortable with the proper lines.

That said, I shift to second sometimes, especially if I am setting up a pass. It involves heel-toe to maintain smoothness, and you risk breaking the rear end loose if done improperly.

Late apex 4, track left approaching 5, maintain speed through 5, track left, approaching 5a I relax the throttle slightly to rotate the car, then back on the gas through 5a, 6 and 6a are a straight line.

Some may be. I enter at 120, no brakes, throttle neutral, first turn brushes off some speed, 107-109 at turn 8, exit at 110 plus. Dont try this for a good while, until you have many more track days. If you're running 80-85 mph in the esses, that is fine. Learn the line slowly. You absolutely do not want to go off track here.

For a beginner, IMO it is not a bad thing to have it on, but you need to realize when it is saving you and work on these areas. Learn to drive without the active handling message ever coming on, and you're making progress. Eventually you'll want to turn it off, when it begins to interfere with your driving.

Next time, monitor your oil temperature instead of your coolant temp. Coolant temp rarely rises much, but oil temp climbs rapidly.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:45 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP, at the risk of being repetitive, I will offer one bit of advice because I believe it's important. You do not need to have any focus whatever on speed or lap times at this point. In fact, if you know how fast you're driving through the esses, you may not be focusing enough on more important things. And as for the esses specifically, I would recommend that you brake a bit just before the initial turn in at about the point of the north course turnoff, assuming you have built a lot of speed through that short straight. The car will be much more stable if you remain steady-to-increasing throttle all the way into your short braking zone before T10. Each car is bit different, but if you enter at a speed that requires any throttle lift, you are playing with fire. And lastly, don't let driving solo be a priority for a long while. Even when placed in a solo group, try to arrange some instructor time for at least part of the event.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:33 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies. I think I get too much caught up in speed. After watching the video, I can hear the instructor better and review where I was messing up and what he is trying to tell me.

I will work on the lines more and not worry about speed so much.

Redls6 - I think you were across from me, but you were either driving or not at your car when I went by. Did you have the racing seat belts? I meant to ask you about them.

elh0102 - a good point with the instructor thing; I will seek them

kelp - thanks for the tips; I will save them and use them. I will definitely hunt you out next time.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:32 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Redls6 - I think you were across from me, but you were either driving or not at your car when I went by. Did you have the racing seat belts? I meant to ask you about them.
Yes, it's a Teamtech harness + Sparco Pro 2000 seat. Def. worth the money!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:36 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I think we might have spoken. Were you running in the Green group? I was in the green group in my Cadillac STS-V.

If I remember correctly you were running an in-car video setup. Did you post that video anywhere? I don't think we came across each other on the track much, but it would be cool to see video from the same run.

Ron
Old 10-29-2007, 11:32 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I actually got some good video, just none of you. I will edit a couple of laps and post. I will pm you when done. Hope to see you out there again.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:26 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I actually got some good video, just none of you. I will edit a couple of laps and post. I will pm you when done. Hope to see you out there again.
Thanks!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:41 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69_BigBlock
I was in the green group in my Cadillac STS-V.
I noticed you're from my neck of the woods.....I've seen a car that looks very similar to your '69 on Cary Parkway a few times. My wife noticed your STS at the track, very nice car also! Hope to see you guys out there again sometime.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by RedLS6
I noticed you're from my neck of the woods.....I've seen a car that looks very similar to your '69 on Cary Parkway a few times.
That could definitely have been me. I haven't seen another blue C3 convertible around town. It's a great cruising car, but after going up to VIR I'm starting to think I'd rather get a C5 so I'd have a real track car.

Originally Posted by RedLS6
My wife noticed your STS at the track, very nice car also!
What can I say, chicks dig the Cadi

Get notified of new replies

To Thought from VIR this weekend!

Quick Reply: Thought from VIR this weekend!