Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weigh Stations??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Default Weigh Stations??

I'm leaving tomorrow with a trailer behind my Tundra to trailer home my Z06 from the museum. I'm new to towing, so be nice.

QUESTION: Do I have to stop at the weigh stations? Loaded vs. Unloaded vs. Stop at all???
Old 10-23-2007, 02:40 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

in NC, this is what I've been told. If you run a commercial tag on your truck, then you must get a CDL and follow all commercial laws, including weigh stations. If you run a "car" tag, then you don't have to do anything.

If you are running an open trailer behind a normal suv, you shouldn't need to stop. If you are pulling a trailer with fancy graphics all over it, then you might want to go through the stations. Every state is different, and the DMV officers have the power to make life miserable if you get on their bad side.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
in NC, this is what I've been told. If you run a commercial tag on your truck, then you must get a CDL and follow all commercial laws, including weigh stations. If you run a "car" tag, then you don't have to do anything.

If you are running an open trailer behind a normal suv, you shouldn't need to stop. If you are pulling a trailer with fancy graphics all over it, then you might want to go through the stations. Every state is different, and the DMV officers have the power to make life miserable if you get on their bad side.
Thanks. I'm towing with a 2007 Tundra with a basic open car hauler, no graphics and a regular license plate.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:58 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

You will be fine. No need to stop with your rig.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:08 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

with Ed, no need to stop. If you start buying bigger stuff you may want to get a CDL.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

I didn't stop at a single one on the way up (unloaded). I saw other car haulers blow by too. I'm still debating whether to stop when I'm on the way home (loaded).
Old 10-24-2007, 10:01 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Datawiz
I didn't stop at a single one on the way up (unloaded). I saw other car haulers blow by too. I'm still debating whether to stop when I'm on the way home (loaded).
many years ago I stoped..........they had a good laugh!
told me it was for 30,000 and up, may be times have changed but probably not.
It won't hurt and you'll have a story like mine.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

No need to stop; you are a non-commercial driver operating you privately owned consumer pickup truck and towing a privately owned or rented trailer with your own vehicle on the trailer.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:40 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

No need to stop, I towed my first car across state lines earlier this year and had the same concern, with that set up you're fine!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to stop. I've towed enclosed trailers for many years thru many states and neven stoped at a station.
If we tow the 24 foot trailer (covered with racing graphics) with the motorhome, its 61 feet length and still don't stop.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:54 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I'm leaving tomorrow with a trailer behind my Tundra to trailer home my Z06 from the museum. I'm new to towing, so be nice.

QUESTION: Do I have to stop at the weigh stations? Loaded vs. Unloaded vs. Stop at all???
In your case,
depends on if you eat a steak first, that will determine "loaded" vs "unloaded"
Old 10-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Craig no need to stop... but your a pansy for not driving your new car back. I had no clue you were getting a Z. Details? Did you sell the C6?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

In the scca forums, you hear about racers getting harassed because they win money at races, and they must declare it as a business towing across state lines. Some non-sense like that.

me, I've been towing an open trailer for years, and got stopped for speeding, cell phone usage, and moving violations. Never any thing about CDL.

However, I recently started carrying 10 gallons of fuel on my open deck, so I've been covering it up with a blanket so it is out of site. I know there are some issues with carrying fuel, or even carrying a full tank of fuel in the race car. Eventually I'm sure an over zeolous cop will bother me. But I'm not too worried about it.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by the blur
I know there are some issues with carrying fuel, or even carrying a full tank of fuel in the race car. Eventually I'm sure an over zeolous cop will bother me.
I always carry an empty can with me and fill it near the event. And when the event is over I always empty any remainder into the car before I leave. It just seems safer to me.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:40 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have DOT numbers on my dooley so I am toast. If you have a private vehicle you can carry drums of gas. Under DOT with numbers you are limited to a small amount. If you are towing for a business which a race team would be considered if you take in money you would need a physical crossing state lines also. I don't a physical if I am using my truck for pleasure.

Last edited by John Shiels; 10-25-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

You do not have to stop unless it is posted for "dealer tags, tow-bars" or other such nonsense. I am a truck driver and am forced to go through the Chicken coops. Its what they're called in CB lingo. If you have a regular pick up or SUV with a regular car trailer just go by. You really don't need the aggrivation of the scales. You really do not need to stop. They won't chase you down. Its like driving a uhaul. THere is only one state that requires them to enter. Have fun.

Bob
Old 10-26-2007, 07:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
You do not have to stop unless it is posted for "dealer tags, tow-bars" or other such nonsense. I am a truck driver and am forced to go through the Chicken coops. Its what they're called in CB lingo. If you have a regular pick up or SUV with a regular car trailer just go by. You really don't need the aggrivation of the scales. You really do not need to stop. They won't chase you down. Its like driving a uhaul. THere is only one state that requires them to enter. Have fun.

Bob
Want state is that?

Get notified of new replies

To Weigh Stations??

Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Want state is that?
I knew somebody would ask that. I have been wracking my brain trying to remember which state I see the sign in all the time. I am thinking its NM or AZ. I am in NM atm and will double check if I can.

Bob
Old 10-26-2007, 09:47 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

I knew somebody would ask that. I have been wracking my brain trying to remember which state I see the sign in all the time. I am thinking its NM or AZ. I am in NM atm and will double check if I can.

Bob
Bob, are you going to Spring MTN (NCM)?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:36 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob

New Mexico! Just passed thru on the way back from Laguna. All trucks and trailers is what I read.

Aaron Quine

Quick Reply: Weigh Stations??