Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCM Putnam Park Follow Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default NCM Putnam Park Follow Up

I was quite surprised that nobody posted anything from the NCM Putnam Park Event last Wednesday.

Roc, Adam, Ken J and company did a great job running another 5 star event. The weather was good and luckily the rain held off til the last hour.

There were a lot of Green students which is always great to see. My student made his virgin voyage Wednesday and was already asking me about more events and track car prepping!

The first instructor session was cold and foggy. I was running slicks and couldn't find any grip. I don't think I saw 100mph until the 3rd lap. I noticed how everybody was driving sow until I saw a blue streak go by... ...yup....it was Danny! (raftracer) I guess he didn't get the weather report.

Adam Boca never saw the black flag because AU N EGL Tom couldn't make this trip! However, Adam couldn't go without incident as his shifter came loose forcing him to a '4 wheels off' bringing out the Yellow!

The GM team attended again, and as always were quite supportive.

Did anybody else attend? Did anybody snap any pics/video?

Mike
Old 10-22-2007, 05:34 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it started out a bit damp with poor visibility when the sun was in your face and fog, but it turned out to be a great day by the time the second sessions started. I had two students in spite of one of the original guys that didn't show up. My students were very cool and fun to hang with. It was perfect weather until it started to sprinkle on the last session. A lot of people bailed at that time.

Once the track was wet, I decided I'd take my car out anyway with one of my students. I was almost the only car out there and I had a blast. I deliberately tried everything I would never dare at full speed. I had the rear hanging out and spinning on most turns. It was a riot. And I didn't have to worry about anyone else like Short-Throw or Raftracer flying up behind me while doing it.

I was too busy all day to take any pictures so I have little or nothing to offer there. But it's a fun safe track that was run without a hitch all day by Roc and Adam. Another great NCM event.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Glad it went well. This is the first NCM HPDE that I have missed. I was at Barber with NASA the weekend prior and could not make the trip or justify the tow for a one day thing.

Off again Adam? you're suppose to stay ON the asphalt. Come to VIR and we can work on that. The tent will be up and ready for you.

Bob
Old 10-22-2007, 08:02 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never saw 100 MPH because my HUD gave up the ghost. However, the track was fun to learn and both my students had a great time.

Turn 4 was a blast if you did it right, increasing radius with the pedal to the metal (ahem... balsa wood) and using every inch of track width. YESSS...

Took me a while to run T6 wide open in the C6Z, but it can be done and is FAST. If you do this, you'd better have the brakes ready for T7.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

sounds like ANOTHER quality event by NCM and company Sure wish I could've been there - did ANY female drivers show up??
Old 10-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ERND IT
sounds like ANOTHER quality event by NCM and company Sure wish I could've been there - did ANY female drivers show up??
There were at least two female drivers that I saw.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

That first session was certainly interesting. Kumho 710's w/ too many cycles, cool temperatures and clean track made me very cautious. Sort of like when later in the day, Popp ran me down in a tricked out yellow beast..(spooky fast). I generally hustle to stay in front of a car, but with Popp, I tend to hustle to get out of the way.

It was nice to meet Rob, Randy and Frank and to see friends I had not seen in a while.

I hope all had a good time at the Z06 fest this weekend. I missed it this time but maybe next year.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by southern_son
Popp ran me down in a tricked out yellow beast..(spooky fast). I generally hustle to stay in front of a car, but with Popp, I tend to hustle to get out of the way.
Did it look like this?

I let Danny take my car for a few laps after lunch. The car had some engine management issues and was only running 65% throttle. It was Danny's first time driving a sequential and he stepped up and drove it like we all know he can. It's had a new program loaded since, and is running much better now. The sequential is shifting much smoother. Danny ran 1:10s for a few laps with me as passenger.

Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 09:55 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Did it look like this?

Mike
That was it! Very fine track monster you have, Mike! Man, you could sure hear that sequintential on the straight. That exhaust must really be fastened well!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:48 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Cheers to everyone for another Great event. Glad ppl had such a good time.

Roc and a few others gave me an update.

Sorry I could not make this event do to a major project that I am under taking.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:38 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default OK ... got to get around more!

We need to put our forum names on our cars ... so we know who's who ... Mike ... missed meeting you again (except when giving you point-by's in the blue group :o ) ... NOW I can account for that "misfiring" popping sound as you went by ...
I did say hello to Frank ... he had Mike, one of our guys, as a student.
And I gave due props to Danny ...
Donna ... yeah ... Some in Porsches - Sarah D, in an immaculate GT3, was my solo check-out instructor ... and I took a ride with her too
Leslie M was in blue group with me ... She, Adam, and I were the only C5's in the group!
I started to figure out the track rhythm the third session ... and beginning to work on putting a complete lap together ...
I bailed on the last session ... we thought about it ... as the weather teased us with alternating showers and clearing skies and about a 260 mile drive to BG for the Z06 Fest ... and opted out.

Roc mentioned Sat the possibility of a two-day event next year ... and asked the Z06 Fest Banquet crowd to think about a weekend event ... better shot at getting instructors. Mebbe so ... but I don't like the idea of going to the Fest W-F and then traveling to Putnam for weekend ... then home ... rather have the event Tues-Wed (kinda like the VIR event ...
Many of you are instructors ... what do you think?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:33 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

That was it! Very fine track monster you have, Mike! Man, you could sure hear that sequintential on the straight. That exhaust must really be fastened well!
Hey Arte, Mike asked me if i saw him pass by on the track. I said yes, about 3 or 4 times, on the same session.

I think my student thought I was just sandbagging.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

We will slowly tune that popping out of the shifting. When I first heard it I thought it was mechanical and something broke. Once I found out it was pressure related I banged that shifter away so many times it actually cost me time on my laps!

The car is still being set up and I look forward to hooking up with you guys again soon!

I plan to haul it down to Spring Mountain for the November NCM event!

Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
We need to put our forum names on our cars ... so we know who's who ... Mike ... missed meeting you again

Denny,

I'm sure we'll hook up again at one of these events and we can shake hands!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robvuk
Hey Arte, Mike asked me if i saw him pass by on the track. I said yes, about 3 or 4 times, on the same session.

I think my student thought I was just sandbagging.

Rob,

That's how I felt the first session with my slicks and the cold/fog.

I'm glad the sun came out, then it was a different story!

Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Cheers to everyone for another Great event. Glad ppl had such a good time.

Roc and a few others gave me an update.

Sorry I could not make this event do to a major project that I am under taking.
We missed you...

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-23-2007, 10:08 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Putnam NCM event was

Early conditions for the 1st instructor run group were a little slick and visibility was not the greatest. Air quality was really good though and cars were making BIG power...that coupled with low grip made things really exciting. My car had 1 year old heat-cycled to death Hoosier "R"'s on it, to say the least my car was exciting....especially on the corner exits .One of my students had been watching me since I had no passenger seat, and when I came back in he was concerned that almost lost it on the exit of 8....I told him that I meant to do that, and that I must have almost lost it on every lap then at the same location. My helmet was all smiles inside . I had a great time with both of my students , they were very attentive and responded and implemented well. Really a personal "high" for me to watch the lightbulbs go "on", and for the students to get in a groove and click-off some really nice laps, damn near brings a tear to my eye......

Short-throw had bestowed the greatest honor upon me, by allowing me to take a spin in his masterpiece. I cautiously accepted because I was concerned of the cars expense and I have never driven a car with a sequential gear-box. I rode with him for one session and observed how the car behaved , and what specific nuances were required with the gearbox. Mike did a very good job of driving the car, and the car didn't seem to do anything strange even though it is an absolute beast. We passed known good cars and drivers like they were painted on a post. The car seemed to have phenominal grip....The Pirelli slicks "rock" once they come up to temp. I enjoyed the ride ......alot. Mike pulled into the pits and the butterflies started getting anxious in my stomach ( and I dont excite to easily). Mike also seemed to be somewhat concerned and reiterated what a beast the car is/can be. I understand "beast", but his car seemed rather well mannered.....Mike needs to go for a ride in my rocket on old tires Mike and I strapped in and I was reasonably comfortable with his seating position. His arms must be slightly longer as I had to streatch for the top of the wheel ( I am not thinking his throw is so short). I fired up the nuclear bananna and Mike gave me the thumbs up to go. On the first lap I took it pretty easy and familiarized myself with the iddy-biddy clutch assy and gearbox. It wasn't as hard to grasp as I had expected, but I still did not use the gearbox as aggressively as Mike....He accused my of shifting his car like a teenage girl , but I was OK with that as I didn't want to wear out my welcome or make Mike regretful of allowing me to drive his baby. I came out of 10 on the second lap and it was hammer down. Each manipulation of his gearshift emitted a large bang in the exhaust and another gear engaged.....No-lift shift is bitchn' , even though I still lifted. The first time into 1, I attempted to heal-n-toe the sequential gearbox for some reason and zanged the motor a little hard....his clutch must weigh nothing. I didn't do that again, I try to learn from my mistakes. The gearing in the transmission is sooo close that you get to use that wonderful thing all the time. I got into a rythm quickly and started to become much more sequential fluent. I ran the car to where both Mike and I were comfortable which was approx 85-90%. The car is an absolute ROCKET, even with the throttle only opening 65%. It would have been more exciting @ 100%, but I was completely satisfied. Closing speed on other cars was huge and despite the lack of power assist on the brakes, a firm stab of the brakes would plant the nose hard and provide incredible braking (thank god). I probably ran 8-10 laps or so , wailing on Mikes toy, having the time of my life. I gave Mike the from the drivers seat and ran a cool-off lap before I pulled into the pits. Driving Mike's hot-rod was some of the best fun in a car I've had all year. It defineatly was a kind gesture on his part and a great opportunity for me to sample some fine craftsmanship. I really appreciate the opportunity Mike , thanks !!!! I won't soon forget those 10 laps.

Mike and I returned to paddock , got out of the car and talked for a few minutes, before I realized I needed to rush to the pits for one of my students ( sorry Bill ). Very soon thereafter the skies opened up and it rained, which was OK since everyone had already enjoyed alot of dry track.

A good time was had by all, and can't wait to run the next NCM HPDE

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 10-24-2007 at 09:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To NCM Putnam Park Follow Up

Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, Tom.......we really missed your presence and enthusiasm.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:18 AM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Way, way RaftRacer and ShortThrow
Mike
Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Yeah, Tom.......we really missed your presence and enthusiasm.
Danny, great write up! My experience just as a passenger confirms most of your observations.

It's guys like Mike and the GM attendance that make the NCM events as good as they are.

Quick Reply: NCM Putnam Park Follow Up