Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost Power steering assist in the C4.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Lost Power steering assist in the C4.....

The problem is back!

After some trouble free months I have again a very big leak in the connection between the PS Pump and PS pressure hose. I imagine that the problem must be the same, a broken O ring and a fissure in the metal part of the hose.

I changed to a Turn One PS Pump which has worked great in the last Track days. But the hose that was replaced at the same time and is made by Edelmann I believe has failed prematurely.

Please suggest a more reliable Pressure hose and who sells them.

By the way it is a 94 Vette and it does have a power steering cooler.
I heard about DR hose but have not found one.

Thanks for the advise.
Roberto

By the way I need to fix this urgently because I have an event coming real soon!
Old 10-20-2007, 04:34 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I believe DRM has the hose in question. I need to obtain one myself.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:38 AM
RickF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Doug Rippie hose. I remember it was extremely difficult to find it on their website and now I can't find it at all.
Contact them at dougrippie.com. If they have stopped selling it, pm me and I can provide more details.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:52 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RickF
I have the Doug Rippie hose. I remember it was extremely difficult to find it on their website and now I can't find it at all.
Contact them at dougrippie.com. If they have stopped selling it, pm me and I can provide more details.
I think it's off the website. Just call Randy. Hopefully they still have them.

It's $99 and is absoulutely necessary if you track a C4...
Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Thank you guys.
I contacted Randy and he told me that they still have them, so I will try to purchase one and install it for no more steering related problems.
( I hope!)
Old 10-22-2007, 01:36 PM
VegaVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought some Earl's fittings and teflon hose and made my own after the second time my '92's OE-style hose put me back on the trailer. I just added an adel clamp to brace it against the idler pulley bracket.

Chuck
Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM
RickF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kinkajou
Thank you guys.
I contacted Randy and he told me that they still have them, so I will try to purchase one and install it for no more steering related problems.
( I hope!)
To save you some time...
My hose did not come with install instructions. It will not work routing the same as the OEM hose. It has to be mounted through the opening through the serpentine belt. I was a little uncomfortable with this but mine has worked fine that way for a year.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

My 96 GS popped it's first hose at Grattan during it's 4th season. The tube clamp tying the tube to the A/C bracket fatigued and broke allowing the tube to fail at the pump. Two more popped hoses and I switched to the DRM hose which was routed thru the serpentine belt. The LT4 hose is different than the LT1 and is stronger because it is clamped. You cannot buy a new clamp anywwhere that I could find.

The DRM hose held and then I broke two steel lines on the rack. 5 total failures in one season. I sold the car to someone who doesn't track the car...

Looking back on it, I'm pretty sure this was all caused by a suction leak at high RPM which causes cavitation in the pump and shock waves that break the weakest link. If you break another try a vacuum check on PS system.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:25 AM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

Another suggestion - check your motor mounts. I broke several hoses on my 96 LT4 before figuring out the left mount was broken, allowing the motor to torque up out of the frame enough to stress/crack the hose (where it runs below the crossmember).
Old 10-23-2007, 11:25 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

9000 track miles on my LT4, never broke a PS hose. although with all the hub-bub around here, I put on the DRM hose 3000 track miles ago.
and a turn 1 pump too. seems pretty bullet proof.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

I didn't route mine through the belt. Not sure what you guys mean by this...

It is a PITA to install it (very limited space in there). It's easier with the PS pump off, which only entails removing the belt and 4 bolts.

I can take a picture of my routing if you have issues.

I'd check the other things as suggested (motor mounts), but still put on the new hose, it's about the same price as the stock replacement, so why not?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by larryfs
9000 track miles on my LT4, never broke a PS hose. although with all the hub-bub around here, I put on the DRM hose 3000 track miles ago.
and a turn 1 pump too. seems pretty bullet proof.
You can fry a wheel bearing in 100 miles, but never hurt a PS hose? You must have the most abnormal C4 on the planet

Are you running R tires? I assume the increased grip is what does the job on the factory PS system.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:41 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

My DRM hose is just behind the belt. maybe a 1/2" at the most. It's a tight fit. I don't see how you can run it through the belt without removing the hose for every belt change ????

and I run Kumho VR's, Hooisers A6's, which I attribute to my bearing problems. Actually Timken is the bearing problem. Since I stay away from autozone /Timken, my bearings have been lasting longer.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Have any of you moved the reservior?

I'm sick of mine vomitting all over my engine.

I pop the hood after a run and it looks like I'm on fire!
Old 10-23-2007, 02:40 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Have any of you moved the reservior?

I'm sick of mine vomitting all over my engine.

I pop the hood after a run and it looks like I'm on fire!
I have not. I've never had that problem. However, I run 275's in front so perhaps the steering is less taxed.

My buddy does on his F-body, it's actually caught on fire at the track...

That was funny. For us, anyway...not for him.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by larryfs
My DRM hose is just behind the belt. maybe a 1/2" at the most. It's a tight fit. I don't see how you can run it through the belt without removing the hose for every belt change ????

and I run Kumho VR's, Hooisers A6's, which I attribute to my bearing problems. Actually Timken is the bearing problem. Since I stay away from autozone /Timken, my bearings have been lasting longer.
Larry, I am about to buy a DRM hose but have not seen one. Is this hose similar to the OEM one? The OEM hose is made out of bent steel tubing at the ends and rubber hose at the center.
That way the steel tubing is bent in a special way to avoid making contact with pulleys and the serpentine belt.

Is the DRM hose a direct fit or is a hose that needs special modifications and get aditional clamps to keep it in place.

Thanks
Roberto

Some pictures of the OEM hose.

Last edited by Kinkajou; 10-23-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:45 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

The DRM hose is a flexible braided steel line. You can bend it to fit how you want it based on engine space.

The hose has threaded ends which screw into the factory locations on the pump and on the rack. No special equipment needed to install, although I think I had to use a ratcheting box-end wrench which you may not have.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost Power steering assist in the C4.....

Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

So it is safe to say that it looks like the braided stainless steel lines used for brakes, right?

If so, how did you manage to keep the hose in place, after all the hose will try to straighten itself when the pressure builds up.

I am really confused on this
Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry guys that I didn't see this sooner. I looked around for a picture of the setup but could find one. We have been making this line for over 15 years, way before digital cameras.

The -6 TFE hose holds it's postion very well. You shouldn't need anything more then a zip-tie or two.

Randy
PS If anyone has a picture, I would owe them one
Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

no zip ties necessary. it just kinda hangs out in position.

If you caught me last week when my A/C compressor was out, I would have snapped a picture or two...

Quick Reply: Lost Power steering assist in the C4.....