Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monkey Business at Barber

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:55 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Monkey Business at Barber

It finally happened to me - I found myself completely out of tires, brakes, cars and time for the NASA-SE final event at Barber. With work commitments I was unable to order some needed parts and install the ones I have on either of the cars to get one ready for the Barber event. So I took the approach of my oldest son and went for the "arrive and drive" program. Josh and loaded up some clothes, chairs, helmets, communicators, and transponder in Berit's GTO and headed for the track. I must admit I like the process better. No cars to prep, no trailer to load, no diesel truck to tank up, and no tires/wheels/coolers to throw in the back of the truck. I did not even have to pull a trailer through Atlanta rush hour traffic on Friday evening. I could get use to this type of track event. I did have some severe restrictions placed on the use of the GTO at the track though. The recently negotiated position (indefinite hold) on the "competitive bone removal surgery" would be reinstated unilaterally if I took her GTO on the race track, again.

The paddocks at Barber are large and handled the Friday crowd with no issues - once they were able to clear out from the "temporary" holding pen. The multi-tier paddock and limited power hookups were a bit disruptive but very manageable overall. It was a lot less congested than Road Atlanta ever is. I found the Barber guys very helpful overall in getting settled in and sorted out. We managed to sign in, hook up with everybody and settle into the paddock before 10PM. Then it was quick trip over to the Treadwell Mansion for a short nights rest.

The abuse started early Saturday morning in the driver's meeting when the instructors for "bank robber getaway driving techniques" were named. All I can say is none of the techniques I taught were demonstrated. But I did have student critique comment that I did not show him how to "shake a tail" and make a clean getaway. The morning meeting are also getting direct and to the point. Now if we can just get all the drivers/instructors to actually attend the meetings. I had a full plate of students and check out rides for the weekend. I think I was in the passenger seat for 5 straight sessions. The Leman's style car changes are the exhausting part - but I need the aerobic exercise. I was in ZO6s to 350Zs to GT3s to Miatas with several others in between over the weekend. I had a blast on track with all them. I still did not get the opportunity to ride with Tom or Jayne at Barber. David re-learned, in the first session, that 911s on race tires respond quickly to lifting the throttle in a corner. The best part is Khoi caught it on video and we have it to show what David did to his wife's car. After that thrilling event he learned that relaxing the steering wheel a little bit when it was plowing badly was a much better option.

Jake and I did get some seat time in 911s, E30s, and a wicked ZO6 due to the goodness of friends hearts. I was offered drives I was not even able to accept due to other commitments. I was even able to rig up the transponder to use the cars in time trial. Now that is true friends with bad judgement. I did determine it is bad etiquette to turn a faster time in someone else's car, say by a little better then 1.5 seconds - in traffic, then they were able to do. It drives baseless accusations of cording tires, killing brakes or ABS computers. The car was fine when I parked it and he was in the car as I putted around the track trying to stay out of the fast cars way. I even sat and watched him as he pulled the wheels and bled the brakes after the session. I only did it out of my concern to make sure he was safe and did it correctly. But three drivers drove the same car, on the same track, on the same weekend and we know where the times fell - don't we?

The banquet was a lot of fun and I had no idea how many NASA classes there were until trophy time. The awards showed who had moves off the track as well as on the track. Jody and Fred are smoother on a dance floor then they are on the track - at least they can stay on the dance floor. What they do with their new monkeys is not my concern. It is a good thing family services, or the humane society, (depending on the results of the blood tests on the monkey in question) did not see what was done to the poor guy.

The track was full most sessions and only had a few incidents all weekend. There was a car to car in HPDE 2 though in the hairpin. Time Trail had no incidents all weekend, again. I was surprised when one car went from HPDE 1 to TT in one session. It was a beautiful car ('67 Mustang) and the driver did fine - but adding folks who are not competing into TT may get us in trouble if they do not understand all the rules in the group. Right after I signed my GT3 student off solo on Sunday he managed to spin and tap the wall on the pit straight. Despite rumors to the contrary it was not a practice "bootleggers turn" - those techniques are best practiced at other locations. There were lots of cool cars ripping up the track all weekend - the '64 Falcon and '05 GTO both looked really good out there.

After a full weekend Josh and I loaded up the chairs, my helmet and a few other items and departed the paddock. I could really, really get used to this arrive and drive program. It was an easy and uneventful 4 hour drive back home. I am still trying to find the time to fix one of the cars.

"the spin"
http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=4e596600.flv
Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
If that wasn't a brown moment I dont know what was.

Great story as always Jeff

Old 10-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great read...thanks for sharing!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:21 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great recap of the weekend
Old 10-17-2007, 07:16 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If that wasn't a brown moment I dont know what was.

Great story as always Jeff

That definitely wasn't a Code Brown. The Code Brown happened when my '06 GTO student was passed by a '60 Falcon stroker/sleeper w/Corvette suspension and rollbar. It was SMOKIN'.....
Old 10-17-2007, 07:59 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
That definitely wasn't a Code Brown. The Code Brown happened when my '06 GTO student was passed by a '60 Falcon stroker/sleeper w/Corvette suspension and rollbar. It was SMOKIN'.....
And he had advance auto brake pads with his drilled C4 Corvette rotors...

That car was extremely well set up - as was his buddies 67 Mustang
Old 10-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Hazman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jeff good to see all of Team England at Barber even if you were sans track cars.

I cannot get this silly grin off my face yet after my first track weekend with the '04 Z06. I should have listened to Jayne and switched from the Mustang sooner. I would never have believed that a showroom stock car could perform like that! Thanks for the check ride and pointers.

I am headed to Houston MSR in a few weeks and I am really looking forward to some more seat time in the Z06. I am not looking forward to the ___ I will get from all my Ford buddies when I pull up in my Chebbie pickup with both Z06s on the trailer!!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Good to meet you Rick. Too bad Jeff corded my front tire so I couldn't run with your Corvette caravan a little more than I did. It was a hoot.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazman
I am not looking forward to the ___ I will get from all my Ford buddies when I pull up in my Chebbie pickup with both Z06s on the trailer!!

Ha Ha Rick, yet another convert from the SVT cobra club! I remember attending the first SVT event at CMP with my 01 z06 and all of the trash talk with the Mustang guys!

Tim
Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jeff good to see all of Team England at Barber even if you were sans track cars.

I cannot get this silly grin off my face yet after my first track weekend with the '04 Z06. I should have listened to Jayne and switched from the Mustang sooner. I would never have believed that a showroom stock car could perform like that! Thanks for the check ride and pointers.

I am headed to Houston MSR in a few weeks and I am really looking forward to some more seat time in the Z06. I am not looking forward to the ___ I will get from all my Ford buddies when I pull up in my Chebbie pickup with both Z06s on the trailer!!
Yes Rick you should have listen to Jayne earlier. I know the grin you are talking about the change from Mustang to a ZO6 well the grin says it all. I know a lot of the people you met at Barber, Patches and I wish we were there. They are a great group of people including team England. Do not worry about your old mustang buddies some day they will see the light or should I say the dark-side. Hope to see you and Jayne and some of the NASA-SE events.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:44 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timz06
I remember attending the first SVT event at CMP with my 01 z06 and all of the trash talk with the Mustang guys! Tim
I was at that a event but I was driving a '01 F150 Lightning. Mustang people did not think much of my truck.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:25 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Good to meet you Rick. Too bad Jeff corded my front tire so I couldn't run with your Corvette caravan a little more than I did. It was a hoot.

Dude, I am not sure you could catch a carvan with all new tires - you need some more tutoring ....
Old 10-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by varkwso
Dude, I am not sure you could catch a carvan with all new tires - you need some more tutoring ....
1.5 seconds behind the TT Co-Director/TTA SE Champ ain't so bad in my opinion. Equivalent times at Roebling. Faster times at Road Atlanta (camcorder timing).

Let's see, more tuturing in 1) pirouettes 2) armco avoidance (now this one ain't bad) 3) semi-evading police on getaway runs? ...decisions, decisions

Last edited by Z06cool; 10-19-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Yea Rick, I remember at CMP when Jayne had just gotten that Z06 and you were in the Mustang 'vert. I figured it was just a matter of time until you were wearing the bowtie.

Welcome to the fast side!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Hazman
Racer

Originally Posted by Falcon
Yea Rick, I remember at CMP when Jayne had just gotten that Z06 and you were in the Mustang 'vert. I figured it was just a matter of time until you were wearing the bowtie.

Welcome to the fast side!
Yes Darth Falcon I have now experienced the darkside of the force and I LIKE IT!!! My track grin is almost as bad as it was after my very first track event. I still have that vert and it is a fun car but the Z06 is in a different league. The thing I like most about it was coming home, cleaning the car up and thnking there is nothing I would change about the car.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:31 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Yes Darth Falcon I have now experienced the darkside of the force and I LIKE IT!!! My track grin is almost as bad as it was after my very first track event. I still have that vert and it is a fun car but the Z06 is in a different league. The thing I like most about it was coming home, cleaning the car up and thnking there is nothing I would change about the car.
It was nice to see you and your wife at Barbers. Hope to see you at our PDX December 1 at Barbers. I will be event chair and chief instructor and our last PDX was great fun. David Leonard.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:19 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Jeff you are the man!! Goes to track w/o a car and still has an awesome time. Be carefull; all the talk of easy prep, no trailer, staying in clean bed, lower cost could start a comfort trend that ends up with you sitting at home watching Speed channel with cold beer while Josh and Jake take your cars to the track!

Get notified of new replies

To Monkey Business at Barber

Old 10-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Barber was definately a BLAST!!!

We left out from the Richmond area at about 1400 (2:00 pm)on thursday and headed for Alabama. We hooked up with Mark Babbitt in NC and convoyed in the proper direction.

After spending a night in SC we headed out to finish this trip to fun and frivolity. All was going well until we hit Atlanta. As soon as we past the I-285 loop KABLAM! I had a trailer tire go. Oh well, good thing I got the spare tire option with this brand new trailer. WTF? Spare is flat! Good thing we have a number of compressors here. Hmmm, spare is not taking air. WTF? The valve stem on the brand new spare is bad! After taking Nancy's car and blasting to a tire shop to get the spare fixed we finally get it mounted and life was back to good.

Was a nice trip to Baber. We get there to find out that we will not be let into the paddock until 1900 local time! Dam you IRL!!! the "holding area" (read big dirt lot on the property) was quite full by the time we were let in. Fortunately we were able to get teched and registered while we waited. The museum at Barber is a must see. More motorcycles than anything but still interesting. The museum also holds a fantastic view of the backstretch.

After getting to go in and paddock and getting set up we settled in for a good night's sleep. The paddock at Barber is tiered and paved. It is really very nice. The workers at the track follow the rules to the letter. Do nont let your trailer hang over the line!!! They are still quite friendly and helpful.

Saturday morning came with a horrendous pounding on the camper door. GET UP & MAKE ME COFFEE!!! It was Mark. So started the day.

After coffee and a bite of breakfast off to the all hands meeting we went. There was Jake England my instructor in HPDE2 for this event. He looked somewhat awake which was a good thing. When all was said and done he solo'd me and said I was ready for HPDE3. Boy, did I fool him!

The track:

Think CMP with hills. If you don't like technical turns, elevation changes or technical turns with elevation changes stay away. I liked it. Jake knows his way around it well. He also knows where it is scary to do what your not suppose to do. "I was spinning here" he says. I will be going back to this track. I found myself lost a few times on the first day. the track folds back on itself 3 times. It definately takes some getting used to to figure out where you are on the track. There were a few spins (some right in front of me) and a little carnage.

Jeff, you re right about how many classes there are in NASA. the banquet was ok. Except for sitting on the floor (due to inadequate amount of tables and chairs) for dinner and awards it was fun. I have a few pics.

Sunday started out cool and sunny. Remember guys, your tires are cold and so is the track. HPDE2 went out first. It never fails. We had the guy in the Lola 7 wannabe spin in the tower turn on the first lap. Cold tires and cold track...remember? I took it extremely easy that first run. Gave many point by's. Jake said I know you can outrun that Mustang. Which I did later in the day. I also got a point by from ROAR Racing RX8. Rob was driving! (I am supposed to include that he was breaking in a new engine and not exceeding 5000 rpm but I think I will omit that) He also gave me a point by on the way out the gate. He was in his big hauler and I was in the motorhome. 2 point by's from Rob. WOOHOO!!!! That was worth the price of the event in itself.

All in all, it was a great event. Nancy learned a lot. She is no longer an agricultural virgin. Mark made her rather ill giving her a ride in the ZR1. She still had a great time.

The trip home was uneventful which is the best kind. It was great running with a new group and meeting new friends. Seeing the "old" ones is always a pleasure.

The one thing I am still trying to figure out is why Jody, after making such a beautiful pass going into turn 1 tried to make his car into a John Deere and cut the grass in the tower turn. Geeze, you had the pole and were running 3rd overall in the Thunder race. We're gonna start calling your car the weedeater.

Some pics

Another Bad Falcon

Monkey Spanker In Charge

Quite a wide variety of vehichles

Carnage fron HPDE 2

You wanna spank him too?

My instructor and his proud Papa...anybody have a dollar?

traveling in style

Bob
Old 10-21-2007, 09:18 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
It was nice to see you and your wife at Barbers. Hope to see you at our PDX December 1 at Barbers. I will be event chair and chief instructor and our last PDX was great fun. David Leonard.
Where are the details on the PDX?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:20 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by V8 Juice
.... you sitting at home watching Speed channel with cold beer while Josh and Jake take your cars to the track!

As long as I fund the effort I think they would go for that option!

Quick Reply: Monkey Business at Barber