Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track costs Nor. Calif.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:48 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Track costs Nor. Calif.

Well, I'm betting that our tracks cost somewhat more than
other areas but I could be off base. Nor. Calif. Racing,
NCRC recently provided a list of costs that are incurred at
Nor Calif tracks:
http://www.ncracing.org/cost.html
I'm guessing that this includes Thunderhill, Laguna Seca,
Buttonwillow and Reno-Fernley. Sears Point / Infineon has
not been on the NCRC event list for a couple years like
SpeedVentures they didn't go back when the fees went up
a couple years ago. LS is probably at the high end and
R-F might be at the low end but I'm guessing that the
SCCA tracks are lots less than LS. Interesting data.
Randy

Last edited by StArrow68; 09-12-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

California Speedway is vastly more expensive per day than any of the track listed at your link. Furthermore, at Cal Speedway if you want lights at night it is an additional fixed fee of $50,000 over normal track fees. That is why none of the clubs are running night events there....

Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. I'm always looking for cheap track days with maximum track time. I know the big promoters that organize lots of track days are usually more than the little guys. I'm guessing that paying their own staff(even if it's only 2-3 people) is going to add to the amounts listed.

Based on the numbers listed I did a few breakdowns:

8,500 divided by 50 cars, $170
8,500 divided by 75 cars, $113.3 - Cheapest track cost with usual participation.
12,300 divided by 50 cars, $246
12,300 divided by 75 cars, $164 - This would be the average track cost with the average participation.
16,100 divided by 50 cars, $322 - This would be a premium catered track day with max track time.
16,100 divided by 75 cars, $214

I'm sure there are some administrative/business costs (besides paying staff) that aren't listed. I bet that no shows or not filling the groups causes financial problems for the promoters. I think this is the reason a lot of small time guys promote track days once or twice and then bail out. You probably don't have to end the day too many times with a bill for $1-2,000 before you figure out it's getting expensive to get your friends out to the track. Of course the opposite is true too, charge $250 and get 75 participants while paying for a $10,000 track and you end up with $8,750 in your pocket. With any business their are risks and rewards.

This company does motorcycle trackdays and is probably the most successful promoter in N.CA. Check their site under the events tab and you can see the prices for the different tracks with different levels of services. They also offer new rider school which is required to race in the AFM(local motorcycle road racing organization). You can surf around on the site to see everything offered by a pretty well run organization. Compare what they do with other track day organizers.

http://www.keigwin.com/

Anyway, it is interesting to consider the costs of going to the track, all the costs. And we didn't even go into hotel, gas, tires, etc....

You want to play, you have to pay. It's all about fun and money. Everyone should be educated(or at least aware) about the money side of things.

Dog

Get notified of new replies

To Track costs Nor. Calif.

Quick Reply: Track costs Nor. Calif.