Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tie down c5 on open trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:44 PM
jcmbird
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tie down c5 on open trailer

Just wondering what is the best way to tie down my 2004 vette. My friend says fronts under rail of trailer to [lower control arms] and cross rears [behind car] does that sound right? Do those ears work[into frame]? thanks
Old 09-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jcmbird
Just wondering what is the best way to tie down my 2004 vette. ....Do those ears work[into frame]? thanks
Yes!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:03 PM
jcmbird
Advanced

so front get axle straps[nothing to damage,brake line]?lower control arms.rear use t hooks crossed. can't see front t-hooks working up front. unless go more of angle, he is saying all most straight to front
Old 09-10-2007, 09:48 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The way most folks tie down their cars is using T hooks to the four slots in the frame. Here is the link to the hooks. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...=43572&R=43572 They fit in the slots just fine and there is no danger of bending any suspension part. These tie down slots are how the cars are shipped from the factory. Two just in fromt of rear wheels and two are located just in back of front wheels. I tie into the fronts straight and cross the rear straps side to side to prevent lateral movement.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 PM
roybfr
Intermediate

I have 4 t hooks, then use criss cross ratchet straps. The rears go to the rear hook latches on my trailer and the fronts to the front hook latches. Just got back from Road America and had not issues coming or going that way (800+ miles round trip), things stayed tight. Wish every car could use those hooks.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:50 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Might think about using T-Hooks in the frame, works for me. Got mine at Northern Frt.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

T-hooks in the frame holes here... use 5000lb rachet straps criss crossed front and rear. Car doesn't move. Always tow w/ the trans in neutral and parking brake on.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

T-hooks here also - wouldn't strap to the control arms because you will bend them. If nothing else, around the wheels.

I have four ratcheting tie-downs, but just have the front two at a fixed length, pull the car on a little farther than needed, hook them up, then roll back until they are taught...that way it's loaded the same each time.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:48 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not used the T-hooks as the set I got won't fit in the holes. I used 4 ratchet straps with axle straps. The fronts I go through the wheels and straight to the front tie down hooks (not criss-crossed), and the rears I go through the lower A-frames and criss-cross them. I've trailered the car all over, including from NJ to Watkins Glen and back, and never had a problem.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I have been using T hooks for 10 years now. I have the rear T hooks fastened to chains which are hooked to the trailer through a D Ring. When I pull up on the trailer I stop at a point where I can fasten the rear T hooks and then drive forward until the chains pull tight. Then I insert the front T hooks and pull the car tight against the chains using the ratchet straps attached to the front T hooks. I have a central point on the trailer tongue where I fasten the ratchet straps (I have a little door through the trailer debris guard that lets me pass the straps through to the tongue). Fastened this way the car stays in place and I have towed cars (97 now 03) quite a few thousand miles this way.

This method allows for quick trailer loading, gets the car located in the right place each time, and cuts down on the work involved in getting the car fastened down.

Bill
Old 09-11-2007, 08:54 PM
rbeckham
Burning Brakes

T-hooks are absolutely the only way you want to fasten your C4 to C6 car to straps and/or chains to tie it down to a trailer. This what the tie-down points on your car were designed for.

Freefall & Bill each suggest a different way of doing this, but the point is that you need to find a means of putting the car on the trailer consistently so you can be confident that the weight is distributed correctly F/R.

After getting it right to your satisfaction by whatever means (at the least by eyeing it or much better by weighing the trailer tongue while the car is loaded), you should make either the front or the rear straps or chains a fixed length so that you can roll the car forward or back against the fixed-length straps/chains to position it consistently on the trailer. You will use the other (rear or front) straps to tighten the car up on the trailer once it is located by the others.

This has always worked for me.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:40 PM
jcmbird
Advanced

thanks everyone have to get t-hooks, then work it out from there, hauling with f350 dump v10 not really worried about tongue weight.just want to keep it on the trailer. but thanks alot for opinions .anyone going to be at mid-ohio sept 29-30 with arpca see you there.whats a good lap time for stock z06?[better pads and tires].
Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put a magic marker on my trailer so I locate it easy. Then I put a block of wood so I can feel it. I also put a magic marker on the straps and marked them front and rear. Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:53 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Question, Are these slots refereed to, the same slots that we use to insert the hockey pucks for jacking?

If so I was thinking. I have to trailer my c-5 in three days not enough to get some hooks from one of the on line vendors. But I wonder if I could make something up like the bolts used on the hockey puck? Any thoughts.

Jay B
Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybar
Question, Are these slots refereed to, the same slots that we use to insert the hockey pucks for jacking?

If so I was thinking. I have to trailer my c-5 in three days not enough to get some hooks from one of the on line vendors. But I wonder if I could make something up like the bolts used on the hockey puck? Any thoughts.

Jay B

same slots

do you want to risk losing your car or injuring someone for the sake of buying 4 T-hooks. Local towing supply has them or do second day air from a supplier. I can't think of wanythng you could make for even remotely near the price of the hooks even if you had a machine shop. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_43572_43572

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-17-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To tie down c5 on open trailer

Quick Reply: tie down c5 on open trailer