Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran the 2000 LS3 Corvette at Pocono North!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:08 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Ran the 2000 LS3 Corvette at Pocono North!

What a weekend and what a day yesterday was!

With the powertrain on the FRC done, the next step was suspension mods.

I was recommended by my future instructor who will be instructing me at VIR within the next few months (Chris Ingle) to take the car to PHOENIX PERFORMANCE in Pennsylvania. http://www.phoenixperformanceinc.com/race_shop.htm

They installed T1 bars and end links, set the ride height, gave her a track alignment and corner balanced her

Also installed was a hard bar and harness, which I couldn't use because I don't have the sport seats yet..

Curt, who's in charge of the shop and Brad the tech, spent ALL DAY getting my car PERFECT! They fixed a few other issues while I was there as well and I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to get the correct setup for road racing. Their customer service is OUTSTANDING!!

I also have to thank John Berget from JB Racing Tires. He got me a nice set of Toyo RA1 takeoff's for my car for $75 EACH!!

He's an incredibly nice guy to deal with and has take off's from $45-$75!

His contact info is:
John Berget
JB Racing Tires
4985 Highway 50
Delavan, WI 53115
Phone: 262-740-0180
Fax: 262-245-9413
email: jbracingtires@sbcglobalDOTnet (so the spam bots don't spam him to death)

Now on to the fun stuff!

Eric Von Ha was gracious enough to instruct me again, and without his help I would have done horribly. His patience and knowledge of road racing is extremely impressive!

Unfortunately, the video camera wasn't working that well so there's only 12 minutes of video, but it's good stuff.

Like running into a turbo Lexus (600rwhp) and wondering why I'm having a hard time reeling him in!

Or when I got black flagged for a pass to close to a turn (I still think it was fine)

This is a HUGE video, so it's best to do a "save as" to your computer first.

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/p...rth_9-9-07.wmv
Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you had fun! What org. ran the event? What times were people turning in the time trials.? I doubt the Lexus had 600 RWHP and if he did he sure wasn't using very much of it. Poor platform for a RR car. Can't wait to get there on 9-29 with PDA on the North Course for my first event of the year unfortunately. You hooked now! What counts is how much power you can put to the ground and how long can you use it.

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-10-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:30 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Glad you had fun! What org. ran the event? What times were people turning in the time trials.? I doubt the Lexus had 600 RWHP and if he did he sure wasn't using very much of it. Poor platform for a RR car. Can't wait to get there on 9-29 with PDA on the North Course for my first event of the year unfortunately. You hooked now! What counts is how much power you can put to the ground and how long can you use it.
It was an EMRA event.

The Lexus was afraid to hit it around the turns because the tiny import engine with the big turbo hits too hard and will smoke the tires when he finally gets into his 500rpm power band, which is bad going around a turn.

I ran a 104.34 my first time running Pocono North and my 2nd time ever road racing

I want to try Watkins or LimeRock next!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

My friend was going to go there with in a Camaro. The Glen and Lime Rock are not as freindly a track as Pocono. Pocono North has one area coming on to the straight where you can mess up your car the other tracks have many more places where if you spin you will hit something. Fun tracks just use you head as I am sure you will.

What other times were turned if you know thanks?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

My friend was going to go there with in a Camaro. The Glen and Lime Rock are not as freindly a track as Pocono. Pocono North has one area coming on to the straight where you can mess up your car the other tracks have many more places where if you spin you will hit something. Fun tracks just use you head as I am sure you will.

What other times were turned if you know thanks?
I think I saw your friend in the Camaro. Is it a gutted race car that he drives on the street? If so, I believe he was the quickest car there!

From what I remember, most cars where in the 1.04 - 1.09 which the trophy's going to the faster ones. I could be wrong though, they're were A LOT of cars racing.

They are going to post the results on their website in a week.

http://www.emraracing.org/

And yeah.. no walls, concrete, or even tires for me please!

Someone did hit the wall yesterday also, although not hard
Old 09-10-2007, 01:57 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi,

I was there also (Black C4 #13) I run in the NEI class. My Nitto R2s (from 2004) were done...still manage 5 laps in the mid 1.02s most were in the low 1.03s. Was able to finish 4th in class with the top guys running in the 1.01s.

I saw your car and it was real nice!!

Steve
Old 09-10-2007, 02:06 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
Hi,

I was there also (Black C4 #13) I run in the NEI class. My Nitto R2s (from 2004) were done...still manage 5 laps in the mid 1.02s most were in the low 1.03s. Was able to finish 4th in class with the top guys running in the 1.01s.

I saw your car and it was real nice!!

Steve
I remember your car, you were cookin!

I think I drove by you on route 80? Did you trailer your car home and drive somewhat aggresive with your corvette in tow?

Thanks for the compliments! I know there's a lot left in the car, the only thing to do now besides getting the harnesses installed is to mod the driver
Old 09-10-2007, 03:03 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at Pocono North about 2 weeks ago with CART, and was hoping to win the overall in the time trial with my new C6Z06 on Hoosier R6's.

I ran the same time trial back in 2005 with my C5Z06 and ran a low 59 on Kuhmo 710's on a stock motor/suspension taking the overall win. I returned in 2006 with cam, exhaust, suspension and phoenix prep, only to RUN OUT OF GAS waiting in line for the time trial (yes, I gave myself 10 lashings).

I returned this year with the new Z on hoosiers wanting to take the title (I figured my last C5 alone with an additional 70hp and new BBK and suspension were good for an additional half a second or so over my stock time). 10 minutes out into the first practice session and I am easily crushing everything in sight (I am thinking, this event is mine)! Then after about 20 minutes, my car starts handling akward and the all the dummy lights come on (service ABS, trac system, active handl) and my car start locking up brakes left and right. The rear lock up every other turn for 20 feet, then also under trailbraking. I figure I'd wait and see if it was just a computer glitch and try and ride it out, but throttle back to 7/10th's for saftey.

Then it happened!!! A turn I normally take at 95+ (going in the infield from the bowl), I took at 80mph with some light trail braking. The left rear completely locks up and now I am turned in a 90 degree angle doing 70mph sideways for easily 30-40 feet. I am a passenger holding on while my 4 times used in great condition $1400 Hoosier R6's go up in total NASCAR style smoke. It was the first time I hear Hoosiers howl in pain!!!

I got in the pits trying to see if any of the tires were salvageable and each one was flatspotted right down to the cords. There must have been another 7/32nd's of tread left easily on the rest of the tire. So my day was DONE, for a second year in a row.

I had the right car, excellent knoweledge of the track, good skill and and another DNF. I was happy the car did get damaged and was MORE happy I did not get damaged, but the win and the track record will again remain out of my reach. I can now understand the fustration when guys like Lou show up at a race with the right package, good driver, at your home track and either some guy bumps you off or your motor blows. I was pissed not to mention the cost of the event, gas and a set of Hoosier's for a C6Z06, but that is how it goes sometimes. I will try again next year before I get rid of the car and I will win that title and beat that track record before I get rid of this C6Z06 that breaks down every 3 events
Old 09-10-2007, 04:19 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MyFirstCorvette
I remember your car, you were cookin!

I think I drove by you on route 80? Did you trailer your car home and drive somewhat aggresive with your corvette in tow?

Thanks for the compliments! I know there's a lot left in the car, the only thing to do now besides getting the harnesses installed is to mod the driver
That was not me as I drove to the track (with the Nittos on) and luckly drove home safely. Had a great time!!

Steve
Old 09-10-2007, 04:22 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

95Jersey,

Sorry about your day...sounds like your not happy with the new Z. As you know it could of been a lot worse!

Steve
Old 09-10-2007, 04:54 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

That was not me as I drove to the track (with the Nittos on) and luckly drove home safely. Had a great time!!

Steve
That's even more impressive that you drove!

I had a blast as well.. I can't wait to get some more seat time!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:48 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Running any more this year Matt? Sorry about your car problems. What was the problem exactly that caused all you woes?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:48 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I will be there too John, Ill make sure I come over and say hi.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Running any more this year Matt? Sorry about your car problems. What was the problem exactly that caused all you woes?
It was a short in the wire to the rear ABS sensor. The dealer told me the short caused a loss of communication with the ABS system, which in this scenario, automatically disables all of the traction control systems (active handling, ABS, traction control) and will light up the dash board. It does this so you know these systems are not working and not protecting the car. I never realized how much we use ABS and how non-instrusive it's functionality really is...once it was disabled, the rear's were locking up all over the place. I really wonder if the problem wasn't caused when they took the rear apart to get to the tranny to fix 3rd gear that I blew it at Pocono. I will never know. I checked every nut and bolt and looked everything over before and after the spin and I couldn't find an issue.

You know me, I can't stop. I already have a set of new tires and are booked for the Glen next week. This will probably be my last event of the year.

The new Z is a great car, but it's almost too fast for it's own good. With just a tune, the torque and power are just SO massive that you just find yourself doing CRAZY fast speeds everywhere in every gear.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PA Z06
I will be there too John, Ill make sure I come over and say hi.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

going with PDA Matt?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

going with PDA Matt?
Yes, I am going both days (Mon & Tues)

Get notified of new replies

To Ran the 2000 LS3 Corvette at Pocono North!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:32 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,083 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Yes, I am going both days (Mon & Tues)

Have a good time Matt.

The rest of the gang will be there, I'll be in Vegas racing the Silver State Classic in my vert, should be a good time. First time for me in this event, but it's a standing mile race, then 90 mile open highway race from Ely to Vegas.

Hopefully we'll catch up later in the season, I'm putting together a new car so I'm not sure when I'll be out again.

Dave, looks like your hooked for sure!! btw, I didn't see a single point by....
Old 09-11-2007, 12:48 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MyFirstCorvette
That's even more impressive that you drove!

I had a blast as well.. I can't wait to get some more seat time!

With more seat time you will fly! Are you doing anymore events this year with EMRA?

Steve
Old 09-11-2007, 02:00 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

With more seat time you will fly! Are you doing anymore events this year with EMRA?

Steve
I might! I have to check the schedule but I can really only go on weekends (can't take anymore time off from work) so that limits it somewhat.

I'm thinking about Watkins Glen in a month or so!

Doug: The red mustang pointed me by!

Quick Reply: Ran the 2000 LS3 Corvette at Pocono North!