Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Restricted Pushrods - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:47 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Installing Restricted Pushrods - Advice Please

Wanting to install my restricted pushrods. LS1 engine in the car. Manual says I need to find top dead center on #1 on compression stroke. Not sure the best/easiest way to find TDC on compression w/o the timing chain/sprockets visible. Any ideas? Is there a "trick" to do it another way?

TIA.

Rick
Old 09-06-2007, 04:56 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

if they are the correct length, you can just tighten them down. However, you should torque them when the lifter is off of the lobe.

Here is what you do.

When the exhaust rocker FIRST STARTS TO MOVE, torque down the intake rocker. Then bump the engine, and when the exhaust opens and closes, then the intake opens and JUST CLOSES, torque the exhaust rocker.

Again, the idea is to torque the rockers with only bolt stretch effecting the torque, not valve train drag.

You need a remote start switch to bump the starter to do this.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:29 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

David,
Correct me if I'm wrong but, if you pull the fuse and or relay for the fuel pump you should be able to use the key to bump the engine over, you just have to tap the key.
Also I didn't think that the rocker arm bolts streached, if you put a little of the ARP bolt grease on the bolts that should keep them from binding.
I also would put a little engine assembly pre-lube on each end of the pushrods for a little extra protection when you first fire up the car.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:34 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

you can bump the starter, but it's quicker to do it under the hood.

Your also right, the rocker bolts aren't torque-to-yeild, but my point was that you don't want the camshaft load on the springs effecting the actual torque reading. You want them all to be unloaded when you torque them. I personally lube the entire valvetrain as you suggest, AND I use loctite on my rocker arm bolts, but that's just my paranoi.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing Restricted Pushrods - Advice Please

Quick Reply: Installing Restricted Pushrods - Advice Please