Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muscle cars 'down under'

Old 09-02-2007, 04:10 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Default Muscle cars 'down under'

From another forum:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella
My eldest son took me to the Musclecar Masters at Eastern Creek Raceway today - although he did insist that he would have to drive me there and back too - in the M5.

Here's some of the older racing cars that were in action or in the car parks. I'll put some more up later. Nothing later than the late 80's really, and going back to the late 40's, but mainly 70's stuff.

Some American iron, with a local Holden in yellow:

All local cars. An XW GTHO Falcon 351ci in front, a GM Monaro 350ci and then a GM Torana GTR XU1 - a mere 202ci six, triple Strombergs - and a race winner.

Same trio - close racing, lap after lap

Another Munro with a GM Commodore behind (developed from the German Opel in the late 70's and beyond) The orange car is the later incarnation of the Torana - which sported a 308ci V8

This is in the Kiwi Musclecar race - about 20 Kiwis brought their cars across the ditch for the race. A 39 Chev and a Torana GTR XU1

We had a few of these running around some years back. The XJS Jaguar V12.

and these - the Six Series BMW - I think they were 633's

One of the old codgers might correct me here - but that looks like an FC Holden on the right - late 50's and a late 70's Torana on the left.

more to come .......
Originally Posted by The Bigfella
OK - this is one of the first cars manufactured in Oz, a GM Holden FX (originally called a 48/215) - built here from 1948 and obviously heavily Chev based.

One of the last of our real musclecars - before the media published headlines about 170mph killer cars, etc, and killed them off. This is an XY Falcon GT - known for the Shaker scoop in the bonnet. The hottest of these were GTHOs (HO for Handling Option) Still with drum rear brakes IIRC.

Lots of American iron in the car park

Not sure what the thing on the left is - is that some mid 80's Mustang? The others are an E30 Bimmer and GM Commodore. There were lots of Ford Sierras, Nissan Skylines, etc in this race too - even one of the Volvos that used to win races for a while.

Ahhh - some earlier ones. Chevy Nova?, Ford Galaxy and Customline (well, half of one), Mini Cooper S - which was more than competitive with the big cars

Can't do that to a nice old Customline eh? Dad had the ute (pickup) version when I was a young'un. The other car is a GM Holden EH

Just for John B - a Mk2 Jag - sounded meaty.

and - some nostalgia - some VK Brock Commodores. My brother had one of the blue ones - which we blew up when a valve spring failed after about 5 minutes sitting on 220kph. Three conrods, five pistons .... etc. Fixed under warranty.

... time to watch the Moto GP now. Go Casey Stoner!

http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=69409
Old 09-02-2007, 06:06 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Some might fine looking Iron there.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:43 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would have loved to see those races- Great vintage iron - not a single Vette though ------
Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

1st pic has a Vette

Get notified of new replies

To Muscle cars 'down under'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Muscle cars 'down under'