Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Track Daze: 30/31 Aug @ VIR Full HPDE**

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Default **Track Daze: 30/31 Aug @ VIR Full HPDE**

Writing from VIR - track conditions are excellent with several Corvettes in attendance in all run groups. Lots of Porsches here!! Weather is hot - but not too bad. Saw a new Ford GT 40 (Red) this morning - real nice, but appeared to experience a mechanical issue after passing me at Oak Tree - turned out to be braking problems.

Only one major incident yesterday - a Cobra (replica) flipped at the end of the backstraight coming into the left hander, but she walked away with no injuries. I met Khoi (Z06cool) and his black Z06 - we're running together in the Black/Advanced Group having a great time. Looking forward to hearing from other members participating in this event.

Track Daze (www.trackdaze.com) run a very safe and professional event! Lots of track time ( 4 x 30 minute sessions per day)

More later.....

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 08-31-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give us a full report when you can. I was registered and had to cancel for work??

Be safe,

Geoff
Old 08-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Great to meet you Mike and your lovely wife. Decided it was just too much hard work trying to keep up with you...I'm here to have fun You are fast through those esses even with new RA-1s on Guess that's what separates the men from the boys Today is turning out quite well. Yesterday, the track was pretty slick -- some other Vette Veterans also agreed to this. I was having a whole slew of issues -- ABS, oil out the breather, O2 codes not to mention only 3 hours of sleep after after in Danville around 1am.

Amazing how some rest can help out. 2 more days with MazdaDrivers after this
Old 08-31-2007, 04:29 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06cool
.....what separates the men from the boys Today is turning out quite well. Yesterday, the track was pretty slick -- some other Vette Veterans also agreed to this. I was having a whole slew of issues -- ABS, oil out the breather, O2 codes not to mention only 3 hours of sleep after after in Danville around 1am.

Amazing how some rest can help out. 2 more days with MazdaDrivers after this

Now you know what the judge said about the boys....

Geez - I am sorry to hear about your problems. I picked up my fresh motor today - will start to install it this weekend. I am sure I will need more parts then I have on hand...

I am having ABS issues on the ZO6 I think - I can think of no other way to flatspot the tire I did at Rd ATL without some sort of failure in the ABS. But I had no codes . At CMP when I had ABS issues it popped up on the DIC...

Glad you are having fun!

jeff
Old 08-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Just completed the two days of VIR full course! Black/Advanced Group ran very well - good situational awareness, early point-by's and great cooperation when passing or being passed "off line" in all areas around the track. The event organizers also provided free lunch tickets for each day and a free long sleeve "Track Daze" t-shirt.

Great meeting you Khoi and running with you over the past two days - made the sessions a lot more fun. There was a 3rd C5 Z06 (Black) in our group - didn't get a chance to meet the driver. There were several new C6 Z06 vettes in Intermediate and three CTS-Vs (all in the same family).

Now its time for 2 more days of VIR full course with Mazda Drivers. The weather is expected to be a little cooler, less humid with a breeze - should be much better conditions. A lot of Corvette Forum members here for the weekend event. I'll post a couple videos later this weekend.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by varkwso
Now you know what the judge said about the boys....

Geez - I am sorry to hear about your problems. I picked up my fresh motor today - will start to install it this weekend. I am sure I will need more parts then I have on hand...

I am having ABS issues on the ZO6 I think - I can think of no other way to flatspot the tire I did at Rd ATL without some sort of failure in the ABS. But I had no codes . At CMP when I had ABS issues it popped up on the DIC...

Glad you are having fun!

jeff
Wahoo!! Hope you much success in getting that new baby in.

It seems the more we "play" with our toys the more work it causes us. I guess if you like to tinker and keep busy then that's fine. Running now 3 days out of 4 continuous track days, I'm beat down. The cold I developed isn't helping either.... Don't know how you do it. Oh, yeah....you have (or is it had) crew to help. Constantly trying to keep on top of things so that you're running good and moreover safe. I think every C5 out here has cracked a rotor (or two) over these days. I thought you said VIR wasn't so bad on brakes Cracked mine again. Yeah, maybe I'm a wussy and drag my brakes or maybe we're just running hard So the last one only lasted 6 track days. Gave my rear rotors to AlohaC5, had a request for my fronts. Felt bad about not beeing able to help but now that I cracked mine I think I did the right thing. I would say rotors here could sell as good as the cool suits at RA in the 106* heat.

One thing I've found out recently is that I've been spoiled with the passing anywhere with a point-by. When I can't run that way, I miss it. Just isn't as fun passing in the straights anymore....

See you at Roebling....

Last edited by Z06cool; 09-01-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Gave my rear rotors to AlohaC5, had a request for my fronts. Felt bad about not beeing able to help but now that I cracked mine I think I did the right thing. I would say rotors here could sell as good as the cool suits at RA in the 106* heat. One thing I've found out recently is that I've been spoiled with the passing anywhere with a point-by. When I can't run that way, I miss it. Just isn't as fun passing in the straights anymore....
Z06cool and Cobra4B saved my weekend with Mazda Drivers!! I brought extra everything except for my set of used/backup rotors that I forgot and left on my workbench in my garage I installed a new set of Raybestos Drill/Slotted rotors earlier this week that were sitting in my garage for over 2 years because they're not ideal for HPDEs. Well...I figured if I could get at least four days out of them and toss them out - great. No deal. I had a front and a rear rotor crack through the metal by the end of the 2nd day. I'll post pics later. Thanks guys! The Track Daze event definitely spoiled me too. Getting to pass ANYWHERE on the track on or off line with a point-by was awesome.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:52 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Wahoo!! Hope you much success in getting that new baby in.

It seems the more we "play" with our toys the more work it causes us. I guess if you like to tinker and keep busy then that's fine. Running now 3 days out of 4 continuous track days, I'm beat down. The cold I developed isn't helping either.... Don't know how you do it. Oh, yeah....you have (or is it had) crew to help. Constantly trying to keep on top of things so that you're running good and moreover safe. I think every C5 out here has cracked a rotor (or two) over these days. I thought you said VIR wasn't so bad on brakes Cracked mine again. Yeah, maybe I'm a wussy and drag my brakes or maybe we're just running hard So the last one only lasted 6 track days. Gave my rear rotors to AlohaC5, had a request for my fronts. Felt bad about not beeing able to help but now that I cracked mine I think I did the right thing. I would say rotors here could sell as good as the cool suits at RA in the 106* heat.

One thing I've found out recently is that I've been spoiled with the passing anywhere with a point-by. When I can't run that way, I miss it. Just isn't as fun passing in the straights anymore....

See you at Roebling....
If you have the same "cold" I came down with starting Friday a week ago - my condolences - I would not wish that one on anybody - I am still recovering...

Having a pit crew is vital for (and to prep for) a 4 day event I think...other wise you get wore out. Jake is now working on the arrive and drive program. He shows up at the track to drive and then goes back to school. If I am lucky he will help me load up.

VIR is not hard on brakes, relatively, if you had done 4 days at Sebring, Road Atlanta or CMP they would be toasted long before. I cracked a left front at RD ATL on the 7th day (3.5 at VIR, 2 at CMP and 1.5 at Rd ATL) - it happens.

I just laid in a supply of fresh rotors - they go quick at the track. I have 5 used rear rotors for "crack replacements" but all my fronts are usually consumed pretty severe spider cracks by the time I take them off.

Glad to see you are used to getting passed everywhere . Keep an eye on those flags at Roebling...

AlohaC5 - ZO6cool and Cobra4B are really good guys
Old 09-03-2007, 02:06 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Great weekend... broken rotors are to be expected. Mine had 2 previous weekends on them and I almost made it! Cracked my RF on the first straight of the 3rd session today.

Oh well... good times.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:38 AM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Nice putting names with faces this weekend. Had a good time.............tired as hell
Old 09-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by DoingOK
Nice putting names with faces this weekend. Had a good time.............tired as hell
Old 09-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by varkwso
Glad to see you are used to getting passed everywhere .
Probably not as used to it as some people are at off-roading T5 at Roebling....

To be honest, I did my share of passing and getting passed in the turns. Either is still more interesting than the straights. Having a GT3 Cup car pass at T4 at VIR was fun. Still not sure I'd give a point-by on the climbing esses nonetheless take a pass there but I've heared stories of way more advanced folks doing so....

Last edited by Z06cool; 09-03-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:54 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeremy and Eric from Track Daze did a great job on this event. I hope folks appreciate their effort and the SMALL run groups. That's why we all got 2 hours of on-track time instead of talk about lots of track time like other organizations.

Well run, safe and organized. They also have the day after Audi.

We too stayed for Mazda and there were 56 in the instructor group!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbl
Jeremy and Eric from Track Daze did a great job on this event. I hope folks appreciate their effort and the SMALL run groups. That's why we all got 2 hours of on-track time instead of talk about lots of track time like other organizations.

Well run, safe and organized. They also have the day after Audi.

We too stayed for Mazda and there were 56 in the instructor group!!!
They are appreciated. I think AlohaC5 and I both agree we'd be back again with TrackDaze...
Old 09-03-2007, 03:15 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Probably not as used to it as some people are at off-roading T5 at Roebling....

There are those that have , those that will and those who lack the intestinal fortitude to see what the car can do in the corner...
Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 AM
prochargedz
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

great event i have never seen so many saran wrapped zo6 and c6s in my life i was there with my civic si b/c my vette overheats all the the time. only able to muster 118-120 on the back straight. i am sure you guys were seeing 150. i hope to see you guys at mazda at shendoah in oct. i will be bring my rx7 if it is out of the shop. kevn
Old 09-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by prochargedz
great event i have never seen so many saran wrapped zo6 and c6s in my life i was there with my civic si b/c my vette overheats all the the time. only able to muster 118-120 on the back straight. i am sure you guys were seeing 150. i hope to see you guys at mazda at shendoah in oct. i will be bring my rx7 if it is out of the shop. kevn
You haven't seen my black vette. It's now grey with all kinds of dust and soot and still that way sitting in the garage. I should clean it but it's just not getting done --- maybe tonight.

On the last session of the last day of TrackDaze with only 6 cars on track, I got er up to 157mph before I held on and prayed for brakes to keep working...

Get notified of new replies

To **Track Daze: 30/31 Aug @ VIR Full HPDE**

Old 09-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

They are appreciated. I think AlohaC5 and I both agree we'd be back again with TrackDaze...
I plan to register for all future TrackDaze events. The ability to pass anywhere on the track on and off line makes the event even more fun! I'm moving up to Hoosiers R6s on CCW C14 Corsairs the next time I'm there. No more "dancing" with street tires at speed up the esses and through the corners.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
I'm moving up to Hoosiers R6s on CCW C14 Corsairs the next time I'm there. No more "dancing" with street tires at speed up the esses and through the corners.
There goes any chance I had at keeping up with you... Maybe if you come down to Road Atlanta

Remember when I said the car didn't "feel right"? Had more body roll than usual. When I got home and crawled under the trailer to look, the front left swaybar had come loose off the endlink... Guess in the hectic activities and working on other things I didn't get to inspect that -- I do remember checking the rears.

See you next time...
Old 09-16-2007, 05:59 PM
briankeithsmith
Cruising

I was at the TrackDaze event several weeks ago as well with my Red 911 turbo (#931, flames out exhaust).

Had a blast. Trackdaze puts on a great show! Like was said here, we got our 2 hours a day, I ended up with 287 miles for the weekend.

Great stuff.

Anybody got any video???

Brian

Quick Reply: **Track Daze: 30/31 Aug @ VIR Full HPDE**