Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR Grand

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:40 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default VIR Grand

Has anyone here ever run VIR Grand in a bone stock C5 or C6? Just wondering what kind of lap times are possible since there seems to be a rather large discrepency between what Car & Driver reports versus what is actually possible. I've been there for the Full course but not Grand. I know some of you have run it but not many of you have run it bone stock. Lap times? Top speed on the front straight?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Top speed on the front straight will be the same on Grande, Full or North course. SO in a vette, 130 to ( depending on nads) 140 for stock C5 or C6. Normally in the low 130s as most ppl do not have the nads for taking Hog Pen the last two corner combination before the front straight, at the proper speeds to get more. I think my best there was 144 into the braking zone at #4 - used Good Year G19s so braking was exceptional.

Grande course is the Great equalizer of cars. There are so many turns on the Patriot course, part of South course and North course - inside the Full course, that smaller HP cars can catch vettes very easily.

Car & Driver made a mistake by using Grande course instead of Full course.

Just over 3:00 min with no traffic would be a good Grande course time with very good driver

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-30-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Car & Driver made a mistake by using Grande course instead of Full course.

Just over 3:00 min with no traffic would be a good Grande course time with very good driver
Is that with YOUR C5? That's a far cry from stock. Yes, I realize that the straight will be the same. I was running over 140 with my bone stock C5 on average Joe streets at the NCM event. Firestone wide ovals on my stock thin spokes. I just thought it was peculiar that the C&D report on the C6Z was a top speed of 140 on that same straight, yet they turned a 2:58 lap. My first time out student was getting 150+ As you point out, the key is a good speed through those last 2 turns. A real one-two punch. One of my favorite spots. So this begs to be answered as to whether or not these C&D guys can drive or not. I'd love to hear more from others but I don't guess there are many amateurs that get the opportunity to drive the Grand on stock rubber.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

PPl could hit 150+ on the front straight, but most ppl dont. They know when to slow down to take a fast T1-2 combination. I have seen lots of ppl Hit high front straight speeds, only to crawl though T1-2 and 3 to under the bridge.

Oh my best on Grande is under 3:00 - 2:56.67 no traffic and flying over curbing
But Rob you know, that on occasion, I do like to fly over curbing. It was just that ONE time, Honestly, that it didnt work out.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-30-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 PM
jlucas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Webster can drive. Remember their speeds will be GPS actual (from their RaceLogic PerformanceBox) not speedo indicated.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:43 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
But Rob you know, that on occasion, I do like to fly over curbing. It was just that ONE time, Honestly, that it didnt work out.
Yes, you've earned your wings.

Get notified of new replies

To VIR Grand

Quick Reply: VIR Grand