Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tech for HP/TQ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:26 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Anyone tech for HP/TQ?

I never have asked too much, you get an idea seeing the car, hearing, etc.

Well yesterday was another thing to add to the list.

A buddy of mine met a guy at a cruise weekend and told him we were going to Grattan. He originally was going to bring out a Vector W8 but instead brought out a AC Cobra replica.

Decent looking car, he drives it daily so it looked like a DD. I asked him a few questions and he came for only a half day. My buddy, who also instructs took him out in his turbo Miata and then in the guys Cobra.

Slow laps only, familiarize, etc.

The car was loud, not insanely loud but it has straight pipes on it what did you expect. Guy was in his mid 60's I'd guess.

Never gave it a second thought.

Guy goes out solo and loops it in a corner, onto the grass, hood flies off...no damage at all amazingly and the driver was fine.

He was not driving poorly and was not hot ******* it, if anything he was taking it very easy.

Apparently the car had a bored and stroked 460, 508CI, 670hp, and these tiny little 255 series replica tires on the back, tires + HP didn't mix too well. Gave it a little goose and thats all it took.

If you heard the car, saw the car, etc, you'd think it was just another base 302.

I've never really inquired about HP to drive skill levels. Obviously someone shows up for their first time in a LS7 Z06 you put them with someone.

So, do you guys tech for HP? I know we will from now on.

Quick Reply: Anyone tech for HP/TQ?