Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Villeneuve To Race NASCAR in 2008

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:40 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Villeneuve To Race NASCAR in 2008

The latest to make the jump

Originally Posted by loiq
JV set to join JPM in NASCAR in '08
Monday, 27, August, 2007, 13:05

Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve is set to join fellow Formula 1 exile Juan Pablo Montoya in NASCAR’s premier tier, the Nextel Cup in 2008.

The 1997 title winner last week confirmed his first step in the primarily oval-based stock car series when he announced he was to a test a Bill Davis Racing Toyota Tundra truck at Chicagoland, a car from the third level of the championship.

Team boss Davis has since announced that the Canadian will be one of his squad’s drivers in the top level of NASCAR next year.

To get him up to speed, following his first test the 36-year-old will compete in seven NASCAR truck races this season, with his debut in Las Vegas on September 22, with a view to a possible Nextel Cup debut before the end of the year.

"He'll be testing the next two, three weeks and his first truck race will be at Las Vegas in about three or four weeks," Davis told Autosport magazine’s website.

"Then he runs seven truck races, and one ARCA race at Talladega for sure.

“He'll do quite a bit of Car of Tomorrow testing and we might possibly run a [Nextel] Cup race, but that just remains to be seen."

Since splitting with BMW Sauber following the German Grand Prix last year, Villeneuve has largely taken time out to spend with his family and also competed in the 2007 Le Mans 24 Hours with the factory Peugeot team.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:17 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

This ought to turn up the rhetoric in the paddock. Between Jac, JPM and Tony Stewart there should be a good choir voicing critiques (mostly warranted, I think) of how NASCAR runs the "races".

So I guess we can expect to see Ralf Schumacher over here in about a year, eh? I can just see JPM calling up. "Come on over. You can actually roll your car here and keep driving! No more hydraulics failures, suspension failures or first corner melees. You can even scrape the entire side of your car off on somebody else and still finish the race."
Old 08-28-2007, 10:22 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Bring'em On!

I think this will be great for NASCAR as a whole, many redneck fans will of course disagree

Right now, and for the forseeable future, NASCAR has the best worldwide exposure to the casual race fan, potential sponsers, and media coverage. Makes sense for these guys to come on over. I would like to see them required to compete in more "Busch", or "Truck" series races before stepping up to the TOP TIER series. I'd like to see this for all drivers wanting to jump to NEXTAL CUP, not just the open wheel guys.

There are a few current NASCAR drivers that should really consider retirement, that would make room for more newcomers and more fans as well.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Jac will need to change his tune - if he hasn't already. NASCAR is far more fan friendly than F1. JAC would hardly give intervieiws during his F1 years.

Ralf S. contacted Toro Rosso about a drive next year - according to Gerhard Berger (Team Principle).http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/...ed-toro-rosso/
NASCAR maybe?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:20 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be more fun with JV in the series. I just wish that they ran more than two road courses a season.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:25 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I just wish that they ran more than two road courses a season.

Plus they should have at least one in the Chase. I used to hate NASCAR but they've managed to suck me in. It's cool being able to watch racing in HD on a 50" plasma. We need Speed HD
Old 08-29-2007, 09:29 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98

Plus they should have at least one in the Chase. I used to hate NASCAR but they've managed to suck me in. It's cool being able to watch racing in HD on a 50" plasma. We need Speed HD
Speed needs to pick it up.

Get notified of new replies

To Villeneuve To Race NASCAR in 2008

Quick Reply: Villeneuve To Race NASCAR in 2008