Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump Stops?? Gone!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:06 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Bump Stops?? Gone!!

I have some Bilstein Sports that must be 3 years or 70K miles old with many track days.

Today while prepping the car for next weekend at WSIR I found that there were big broken and or missing rubber chunks under the plastic sleeve. There was a big washer loose and sitting on top of of one of the shocks. So I assume the thick rubber washer sits between the top of the shock body and this washer.

Is this the "bump stop" ????

Can I race with shocks in this condition ??? (they seem to work fine)

Is this normal for them to be destroyed like this ?????

DH
Old 08-26-2007, 06:34 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes mine were broken also.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by John Shiels
yes mine were broken also.
John

I'm glad we both have broken rubber chunks in our shock sleeves

SO.....is it okay to run like this????? Please advise !!!!!!

DH
Old 08-26-2007, 05:48 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

They are a wear item, if you have blasted them out it means that a) you were bottoming out alot, and b) they were too soft. I do not know if the ends of the Bilsteins are removable so that they can be replaced but we have 3 different hardness and different lengths for the Penskes we sell. If you do not replace them and continue to pound them, the shocks and other suspension parts can/will be damaged.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ghoffman
They are a wear item, if you have blasted them out it means that a) you were bottoming out alot, and b) they were too soft. I do not know if the ends of the Bilsteins are removable so that they can be replaced but we have 3 different hardness and different lengths for the Penskes we sell. If you do not replace them and continue to pound them, the shocks and other suspension parts can/will be damaged.
Even if they cannot be slipped over the end ........ it seems that they could be cut in one place and then squeezed onto the shaft. I wonder if these are easily obtained??

I don't know how long Bilsteins should last but I think I'm gonna get a new set soon....
Old 08-26-2007, 09:15 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Get them rebuilt and revalved by Bilstien and it will handle better and not bottom out.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Get them rebuilt and revalved by Bilstien and it will handle better and not bottom out.
My car is also my DD so I can't have it down for as long as it would take for the turn around. Maybe I can just buy a revalved/rebuilt set from them. I take it from your comments that they can be made to work better than the off the shelf sets?????

DH
Old 08-27-2007, 07:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
My car is also my DD so I can't have it down for as long as it would take for the turn around. Maybe I can just buy a revalved/rebuilt set from them. I take it from your comments that they can be made to work better than the off the shelf sets?????

DH
Yes they do work better. If I was in your situation I would buy a used set of stockers real cheap and they send yours out. Usually takes about 7-10 days depending on work load they have. Do you have your stockers?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Yes they do work better. If I was in your situation I would buy a used set of stockers real cheap and they send yours out. Usually takes about 7-10 days depending on work load they have. Do you have your stockers?
No my stockers were the fancy magnetic ride option, $1000 each shocks !!!!!!!!!!

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Bump Stops?? Gone!!

Quick Reply: Bump Stops?? Gone!!