Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

video camera & mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 AM
tccoupe
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default video camera & mount

I have an 08 coupe which i am going to use for HPDE events. I want to mount a video camera & have several questions.

1. Is the best way to mount the camera on a harness bar; are there other methods that are easier?

2 I have been looking for a camera to use and i have not been able to find one that has a 12v power hookup. has anybody found one.

Any ideas would be appreciated

thanks
Bruce

Last edited by tccoupe; 08-25-2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: mistakes
Old 08-25-2007, 09:29 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to www.chasecam.com for a full selection of racing options.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:43 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a Sony HandiCam on a I/O Port camera mount on the harness bar. I went with the Sony because it has a very good stabilizer built in so the picture is not shaky.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

You don't need a 12v source, use the battery that comes with the camera and recharge it at night or between runs.

Buy a universal wide angle lens at Best Buy or Circuit City and set the focus to infinity.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:55 AM
vincent ashton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard anything about the newer mini-dvd style recorders? I have been told that it would not work in a car because of too much vibration causing it to skip. Anyone heard that or tried it out?
Old 08-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by vincent ashton
Has anyone heard anything about the newer mini-dvd style recorders? I have been told that it would not work in a car because of too much vibration causing it to skip. Anyone heard that or tried it out?
Do you mean mini-dv or mini-dvd? I use a mini-dv camera that records to tape and haven't encountered any problems.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:14 AM
vincent ashton
Advanced

Its the ones that use the small dvd's.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:03 AM
spankythegator
Advanced

Do not use the DVD or Hard Drive(HDD) cameras....they do not work on the track. Mini DV is the best way to go and Sony is the brand I recommend as well. If you have the $$ HDR-HC7 is the latest and greatest and can record in both standard and Hi def but any Sony mini-dv will do. Remember optical stabilization is significantly better than digital stabilization. Use a wide angle to catch the in-car action or no wide angle to get a better view of the people you'll hopefully be passing on track. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

And remember to get a camera that will accept an auxillary microphone. The mic on the camera will pick up too much wind noise. You can put the auxillary anywhere you want, I run mine about 2 feet behind the hardbar in the Z.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:42 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I/O Port for camera mount. and Digital Video tape camera, Not a Hard drive camera. DVD-R do not recored fast enough for those high speed corners.

Put camera on INFINITY, not auto focus.

The mic on the camera just put a small piece of duct tape over and that cuts out the wind noise , but you will still hear eveything.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:10 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Mini DV seems to be the way to go. I have seen some of the dvd units pick up about 20 seconds before they shut down. I have a setup that was about $200 including the camera. I got a cheap samsung camera and it works great as long as the mount is secure.

I did make the mistake of making movies to fit youtube requirements. I was compressing files and it led to some skipping in the video. So now I make shorter videos without the compression and it's great video.

Here's a few video's I have done.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=86vetteracer

The quality is better but youtube does something to it and makes it more grainy.

Last edited by AUTO_X_AL; 08-27-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:38 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

I'm using a combo of things now:

1. In-car MiniDV (cheap JVC) mounted with an IOport on the harness bar
2. Bullet Camera (ebay special) mounted with chasecam mount in various areas. Bullet records to a Sandisk DVR.

Today was the first time I used the two, together, but it turns out I forgot to record them both on the same sets of runs (we did two sets of 5). Tomorrow at the track I will be able to record both. the idea is the bullet to record the view out the windshield, and the camcorder to record driver behavior. I have trackvision and a performancebox to overlay telemetry and Adobe Premiere 2 to customize as necessary.

The MiniDV, Bulletcam, DVR, and memory card was about $600 new. Everything was bought new and the Camcorder was bought new three years ago so you could go cheaper with a used. Trackvision was $125 but worth every penny after I got the Pbox.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Steve49841
Advanced

The way you drive you could us a polaroid. Hey "tccoupe" is my brother and I love busting his chops. The putz just HAD to go out and buy a new 08 Z51 to try to get around my 02 Z06 because his Camaro just wasn't up to the job. We are going to have fun at Nelson Ledges in Sept. You may not like what the camara is going to record bro.

Get notified of new replies

To video camera & mount

Quick Reply: video camera & mount