Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler

Old 08-25-2007, 01:12 AM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Oil cooler

Does anybody have an Oil Cooler on a C6, not in the radiator? If so do you have pics and info?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:11 AM
02impactblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a guy on here who put the c6z06 stand alone oil cooler on his c6z51. He said it comes from gm with the lines and cooler ready to attach. Sounded like a very easy install. The only mod was to the shroud but you could buy the z06 shroud and it will bolt right in. I think he said it was 600 for everything. I'm debating to do this or add the dewitts drop in radiator w/eoc
Old 08-26-2007, 12:25 AM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Default Thanks

for the info.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:33 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottJ03
Does anybody have an Oil Cooler on a C6, not in the radiator? If so do you have pics and info?
Get a Dewitts radiator with the oil cooler in the radiator. I have one in my C6. I ran at Road Atlanta with 140 F track temp. Oil temp no higher then 260F.
I see that the factory C6-R race car has the Dewitts radiator.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:38 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a dewitts with a build in oil cooler. I have a SC on my car, but on track had coolant temps near 250. I replaced set up with a Ron Davis (no built in cooler) and a separate oil cooler.

My coolant temps have never gone over 220 on track since. Makes a huge difference.

I also carefully shrouded the radiator to force more air thru.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:41 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by snitz
I had a dewitts with a build in oil cooler. I have a SC on my car, but on track had coolant temps near 250. I replaced set up with a Ron Davis (no built in cooler) and a separate oil cooler.

My coolant temps have never gone over 220 on track since. Makes a huge difference.

I also carefully shrouded the radiator to force more air thru.
With my DeWitts CT stays at 180 to 200. I have a 160 F thermostat.
What is your oil temp then and now?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Then: street coolant temp around 190-200. Road racing 250-254. After about 10-15 minutes the car would enter the danger zone (+250) and I would need to pull off and let the car cool down. Very bad for the engine.

Now: street 180-190, Road racing 215-220. Now I can run for as long as I can stand it, at safe cool temps.

Before, as the car overheated, the OEM computer pulled timing out to protect the engine. I lost a ton of hp. Now, the car runs cool, the computer doesn't pull timing, the car remains F-ing fast with no loss of accel.

Huge improvement.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:11 AM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Default Did you use

Then: street coolant temp around 190-200. Road racing 250-254. After about 10-15 minutes the car would enter the danger zone (+250) and I would need to pull off and let the car cool down. Very bad for the engine.

Now: street 180-190, Road racing 215-220. Now I can run for as long as I can stand it, at safe cool temps.

Before, as the car overheated, the OEM computer pulled timing out to protect the engine. I lost a ton of hp. Now, the car runs cool, the computer doesn't pull timing, the car remains F-ing fast with no loss of accel.

Huge improvement.
the Z06 Oil Cooler or what?
Thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 06:16 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Huge improvement.
I would say that your vented hood helped big time. Were you at Road Atlanta last month with NASA? I seen a cool looking SCed C5 with a CF hood like yours there with the hood up in the pits.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 AM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry that wasn't me at Road Atlanta, although wish I had made it. I really love the hood I got from ACP. Ironically, I didn't get much benefit from it till I added the oil cooler and sealed the shroud of my procharger set up better to improve air flow to the radiator.

Note: I installed a B&M oil cooler. Fluidyne also makes good ones also.

The idea with the oil cooler is to install such that it has access to fresh air, but does not block flow to radiator or intercoolers. There are larger oil coolers available, but this one gets the job done. To go larger, my case would have created blockage issues. The Tigershark front on the car, provides good venting to radiator, intercoolers and oil cooler. Note that the SC intake hoses under the car, block much of the air flow that would normally feed the radiator from underneath.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:42 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry that wasn't me at Road Atlanta, although wish I had made it. I really love the hood I got from ACP. Ironically, I didn't get much benefit from it till I added the oil cooler and sealed the shroud of my procharger set up better to improve air flow to the radiator.

Note: I installed a B&M oil cooler. Fluidyne also makes good ones also.

The idea with the oil cooler is to install such that it has access to fresh air, but does not block flow to radiator or intercoolers. There are larger oil coolers available, but this one gets the job done. To go larger, my case would have created blockage issues. The Tigershark front on the car, provides good venting to radiator, intercoolers and oil cooler. Note that the SC intake hoses under the car, block much of the air flow that would normally feed the radiator from underneath.

Wow the front grill area is full. Nice installation.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:20 AM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Default Nice set up

That's cool
Looks like fun to drive
I need to see if I can do it with C6
Thanks for the feedback
Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ScottJ03
That's cool
Looks like fun to drive
I need to see if I can do it with C6
Thanks for the feedback
I checked your profile and I take it you don't have a SC, ergo not intercoolers to worry about that could block air flow to radiator.

Installing a separate oil cooler should be a snap considering the excellent venting of your C6 front bumper for the radiator. I had to install the TigerShark front end to get an equivalent set up.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil cooler

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil cooler