Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Brake Pad Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Track Brake Pad Change

For the first time I had to change brake pads at the track. My question is how do you properly bed them at the track. At home I follow the StopTech procedure (although I am paranoid ever time I do it-my car is loud & I picture myself explaining to the local gendarme-sorry sir but I was just bedding in my race pads, I am sure you understand!?!?!).

Thanks, Geoff
Old 08-24-2007, 09:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can bed thenm at some tracks if they have room like VIR or find a decent road that is empty. You only need to do 65-70 to bed pads and season the rotors.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
You can bed thenm at some tracks if they have room like VIR or find a decent road that is empty. You only need to do 65-70 to bed pads and season the rotors.
John, thanks for the response but can you give me a little more detail. Yesterday, my experience was as follows. I changed the pads and then hit the track. Did the first lap at warm up speed, hit the main straight (Summit Point Main) at 130 (being cautious) and braked about the 3.5 mark (again cautious) and it felt like total brake fade, but because of my cautiousness, no issue, next lap, same spot about 50% better braking, 3rd lap back to normal.

My question is, is this a good break in (or is that brake in??) or should I do something different?

Thanks, Geoff
Old 08-25-2007, 09:56 PM
anotherone
Pro

same issues ; recently got a whopper of a ticket- PARANOIA reigns!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:01 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

just go out and drag them around the paddock as good as you can. It will not be as good as going out on the highway and doing the 20 stops, but it will work. If it is rear pads, you can jack the car up and use the engine and brakes together to heat them up. Just remember to shut down the AH/TC.

I've had to do emergency brake swaps just before a race, and even dragging the brakes hard for 1/2 a warm up lap (with the other 1/2 to cool down) can get enough mechanical wear on the pads to get a good mating surface between the pads and rotors. Again, not ideal, for it's fine.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Track time is expensive but since I can't bed pads on the street, I force myself to take the first session in my spring test day to bed in 3 sets of pads.
Walking into the trailer and seeing 3 sets of pads ready to go is a very comfortable feeling.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What pads do you run? I just did 10-20 stops from 65-70 at VIR and it was enough to thurn the rotors blue a Stoptech recommends. I have never had a big issue running Wilwood pads new at the track. I use some sense the first few laps.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:22 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I still drive the car to the track I just swap the pads in at home and drive the 140mi or whatever to the track with them. Never had an issue.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
What pads do you run? I just did 10-20 stops from 65-70 at VIR and it was enough to thurn the rotors blue a Stoptech recommends. I have never had a big issue running Wilwood pads new at the track. I use some sense the first few laps.
I run Hawk DTC 70's in front (60's in the rear).

Good advice guys I appreciate it.

Geoff

Get notified of new replies

To Track Brake Pad Change

Quick Reply: Track Brake Pad Change