Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snatch Block for Car trailer??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default ****** Block for Car trailer??

How do you mount the pulley for the winch when you use this set-up. I have a 2000lb winch on the trailer and I am not sure how to set it up for the car. Car trailer has never been used for a car yet so this is the reason for the question??
Old 07-30-2007, 10:04 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mount the ****** block- they usually have a hook on one end- to the car being winched onto the trailer. Run the cable from the winch through the ****** block and back to the winch, giving you a double cable. This effectively doubles the capacity of the winch. Be sure you have a ****** block rated for the proper weight.
FYI-my winch is only rated for 2000# (Harbor Freight special) and I have never needed the ****** block I bought to get a car up on the trailer.
FYI2-Always be careful when winching anythiing. Cables snap and will snake through the air with unbelievable power and speed. They can cut you in two before you could possibly react. Hide behind something any time you are using a winch.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
Mount the ****** block- they usually have a hook on one end- to the car being winched onto the trailer. Run the cable from the winch through the ****** block and back to the winch, giving you a double cable. This effectively doubles the capacity of the winch. Be sure you have a ****** block rated for the proper weight.
FYI-my winch is only rated for 2000# (Harbor Freight special) and I have never needed the ****** block I bought to get a car up on the trailer.
FYI2-Always be careful when winching anythiing. Cables snap and will snake through the air with unbelievable power and speed. They can cut you in two before you could possibly react. Hide behind something any time you are using a winch.
good advice. Look on some web sites like Ramesy and they will show how to use it.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:19 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
FYI2- They can cut you in two before you could possibly react.

I was watching the Myth Busters on Discovery Channel one day and they were trying to cut a pig in half with the snap cable. No go. It will not cut you in half. Not saying it would not hurt like Hell or might kill you if it broke your neck. Still standing somewhere safe it always a good idea.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2300lb winch pulls the car up the ramps without any blocks. Try it in a direct pull first, it should work fine.

For those of you using winches, I went to one of the synthetic winch ropes that the 4 wheeler crowd is going to, and it is much nicer to handle (no kinks, cut wires etc), and spools much better.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beerkat
I was watching the Myth Busters on Discovery Channel one day and they were trying to cut a pig in half with the snap cable. No go. It will not cut you in half. Not saying it would not hurt like Hell or might kill you if it broke your neck. Still standing somewhere safe it always a good idea.

I saw that same episode. They really wanted to cut that pig.

Since you aren't picking the car up, I would think 2,000# is plenty to pull the car up on the trailer.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:41 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beerkat
They are hard on pig carcassas on that show.

I'm about to buy a winch. What's this synthetic rope dealio?

Get notified of new replies

To Snatch Block for Car trailer??

Quick Reply: Snatch Block for Car trailer??