Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GRM C5 Swaybar test

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
jpasterjak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GRM C5 Swaybar test

Hi everyone...

I'm in the process of setting up a C5 anti-roll bar comparo for an upcoming issue of Grassroots Motorsports magazine. I know a lot of the manufacturers frequent this forum so I though I'd put out a heads up and see who might be interested in participating from a product standpoint.

Basically, what we'd like to do is install and compare the popular swaybar setups, both as a set, and also in a front-only SCCA Solo2-legal situation. Lap times will be generated at our Ocala test track. Usually these tests are "single blind" meaning that there will be at least one driver who does not know what components are on the car. Usually the other driver is doing the wrenching as well, so it's hard to keep everyone in the dark.

The point of the comparison is not to crown a "winner" (although lap times will be published), but to educate folks as to what's out there and what their options are when it comes to swaybars, what sort of job they face installing and tuning, and what kind of change they can expect from behind the wheel.

If any manufacturers would like to participate, email me directly at jg@grassrootsmotorsports.com.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you include Z06 and T1 bars in your test please. I'm sure everyone is curious how the Pfadt adjustable bars compare to the T1's too.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:36 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

addco too.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:02 AM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
...I'm sure everyone is curious how the Pfadt adjustable bars compare to the T1's too.
Yes, VERY.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:08 AM
jlucas
Racer

JG, I'll send you an email so we can discuss but I'd be interested in supplying you some data acquisition for the event so it's not just subjective and lap times.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:11 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Where is the Ocala test track??? I wouldn't mind getting in on the test (I have a DL1 too), but I'm located in North Carolina.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:57 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting a driver experienced in the C5 would help....I remember your "index of performance" issue a few ones back. Sometimes it is the driver not the bars....
Old 07-29-2007, 10:30 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
Getting a driver experienced in the C5 would help....I remember your "index of performance" issue a few ones back. Sometimes it is the driver not the bars....
I agree. Could be quite interesting also to have 2 drivers, a very experienced guy such as Chris and a relatively new driver such as me, and see if we both net the same relative results. I'd take some leave for that!!

Joe Gaudette
Old 07-29-2007, 05:49 PM
jpasterjak
Advanced

I notice that lots of folks volunteer to help with the fun stuff, but nobody ever volunteers to help me make postscript files for the printer until 3am.

Actually, when we do stuff like this, we frequently do call on folks from the community that are more familiar with this stuff than we are. Anyone close to Florida?

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Old 07-29-2007, 08:14 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jpasterjak
I notice that lots of folks volunteer to help with the fun stuff, but nobody ever volunteers to help me make postscript files for the printer until 3am.

Actually, when we do stuff like this, we frequently do call on folks from the community that are more familiar with this stuff than we are. Anyone close to Florida?

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Statesboro, GA is where my resident hot shoe resides now (spending my money) - depending when you plan on doing the comparison - but there are some Vette drivers from FL I bump into once in a while at Roebling and Road Atlanta. I am sure they will chime in.

You will look fondly on the postscript files once you get through setting all the pre-loads on all those bar combos!
Old 07-29-2007, 09:39 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
Statesboro, GA is where my resident hot shoe resides now (spending my money) - depending when you plan on doing the comparison - but there are some Vette drivers from FL I bump into once in a while at Roebling and Road Atlanta. I am sure they will chime in.

You will look fondly on the postscript files once you get through setting all the pre-loads on all those bar combos!
Correction: Wanton Track Vagrant.....

Last edited by SouthernSon; 07-30-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: better terminology
Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by southern_son
Track *****.....

Just because Varkwso does more event in one season than most of us do in a lifetime does not make him a track *****. Well maybe it does
Old 07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, I corrected it somewhat. Better terminology?

(Jeff, please don't hurt me.......)
Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by beerkat

Just because Varkwso does more event in one season than most of us do in a lifetime does not make him a track *****. Well maybe it does

You say that like it is a bad thing - I am a card carrying member of the THGW (Track Ho Gone Wild) crew

So when are you guys going to run in TT??
Old 07-31-2007, 09:59 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been told by a good friend of mine that I need new bushing in the front of my car. I also need some better track tires and more seat time. I have kinda shot my budget for the year when I got the Feather-lite trailer. I hope to do the bushing before I run a RR at the end of September.

I hope to try a TT sometime next year. I know that the TTA group will welcome me with open arms because I will be easy to beat.

I wish I could be a Track Ho when I grow up.

Last edited by beerkat; 07-31-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:50 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by southern_son
Correction: Wanton Track Vagrant.....
(by varkwso) You say that like it is a bad thing - I am a card carrying member of the THGW (Track Ho Gone Wild) crew

So when are you guys going to run in TT??

beerkat, southern_son and varkwso,

PLEASE, explain to all of us how the last five posts have anything to do with the original subject of this thread! The three of you completely hi-jacked a great thread, just because you're all too lazy to open up a new thread.

It's time for you to re-read the rules about thread hi-jacking. I'm fed up with folks like you.

The next posts I want to see here should be an apology from each of you to the rest of us who do follow the rules of the Forum.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:21 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bobmoore2

PLEASE, explain to all of us how the last five posts have anything to do with the original subject of this thread! The three of you completely hi-jacked a great thread, just because you're all too lazy to open up a new thread.

It's time for you to re-read the rules about thread hi-jacking. I'm fed up with folks like you.

The next posts I want to see here should be an apology from each of you to the rest of us who do follow the rules of the Forum.

Things slow out there on the west coast bob?

It does keep the hit count going so it must be a good thing....there is a difference between lazy and apathetic by the way....

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
Not to hijack your thread, but...

I have the Corvette sport seats in my 2000. (not a Z06, so they were stock) I drove HPDE's with them for a couple years, but I couldn't stand how they had NO...

:

I guess we should do it your way?

We all get a little off topic on forum threads it seems....but if chastising works for you I am good with it...I consider myself thoroughly humilated and chastened...

Thanks ...

In the end I am hoping the article provides relevant and signifcant data - something GRM has been known to do.

I guess it was also a roundabout way of saying I see most of "the open track drivers" here in the southeast....I even run with some of the folks out west once in a while...

Last edited by varkwso; 08-03-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To GRM C5 Swaybar test

Old 08-03-2007, 08:59 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Z06 Bars, T1 Bars should definitely be there. I'd also say the Addco (I think Danny runs these) and Pfadt bars wouldn't be a bad idea.

Drivers:
- someone fast in a vette like Danny or Chris
- you guys (know Ocala well)
- some other medium-skill vette owner
Old 08-04-2007, 01:07 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=bobmoore2;1561348973]

PLEASE, explain to all of us how the last five posts have anything to do with the original subject of this thread! ...(end quote)

This might be a stretch for you bob, but try to follow this. There was the request for some that might be interested in participating as a driver. My joke with Jeff was reflecting how often he is seen at tracks and how he might be perfect for the exercise as a driver. He is well known, well liked and eminently qualified to participate in such an event.
Maybe this concept escapes you, bob. I just don't know.....
Old 08-04-2007, 10:36 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I am sorry. I was just cutting up with a friend of mine. I did not know we were not supposed to do such things. I will flog myself with a wet cat of nine tails for a week for such a mistake.

Quick Reply: GRM C5 Swaybar test