Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads - Which ones and where to get them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:36 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Brake pads - Which ones and where to get them?

Taking Z to VIR Aug 9th for first time. I was going to order some cheap rotors to take as a back-up and need to get some pads also. I have Hawk + on now, but they dust so bad, I am ready to replace. I figure I will burn thru them enough at VIR that they will need replacing. I try to do the HPDEs at leat every other month and my car is a daily driver. I would like to do ceramics for street and some dedicated track pads(?). I did search but no real answers for tracks. Whick track pads and where is the best place to get them. Getting rotors from RockAuo.com, but didn't recognize their pads. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porterfield-Brakes.com
Old 07-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Carbotech 8s rear 10s front. Get them at either Carbotech or PFYC
Old 07-27-2007, 03:02 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbotechs!!!!! I run XP12s on Front and XP10s on back. www.ctbrakes.com

If you're running street tires, you might want to go a bit less aggressive (like XP10s on Front and 8s on rear), but I always want the ultimate stopping power on track...and I'll adjust my driving accordingly.

Talk to either Chris or Dan Puskar - great folks. You won't find a better overall pad for the money; and the material is from a ceramic compound so the dust is non corrosive. Great stuff!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I run Wilwood H compound at the track. I never have any problems with them and they last a long time.

Send me a PM and I will get you a quote on the Wilwood Hs.

As a FYI - If you are going to race pads make sure you buy an extra set of rotors because they will crack. I would also look into brake coolers (I will be posting pics tonight of rotors with and without brake coolers and you will see why they are needed.)

BTW - here is doug@ecs and I running at VIR - have fun.

Bob

http://www.ecsracing.com/ecsracing/showthread.php?t=211

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 07-27-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:28 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer PFC01 and I have a lightly used set for sale since I converted to Brembo I no longer need them.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1764178
Old 07-27-2007, 04:07 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the extra set of rotors from Rock Auto. Don't do much hardcore braking in daily driving, so may just pick up PFC ceramics from autozone for $110. So now, just not sure which track pads I need.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:25 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

I'm the odd man out. I just started using Ferodo DS-2500 pads all around as a dual purpose (trackday/autox and daily driving). No squealing, more dust than stock but less than HPS pads. So far they have held up just fine under extreme braking as I participated in a Time Trial which was quite brutal. I cannot comment at all on their longevity as I'm only two track days, three autocrosses and about two months of driving on them. Before that I used HPS and they were terrible all around. And thats about all I have tried since I bought the Z06. I used various versions of Cobalts with success on other cars. Next time I plan to try the Carbotechs for track and get stock GM Z06 pads for the street/autox.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:08 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carbotech XP8s all around or the stock ZO6 pads work fine also....especially at VIR...
Old 07-27-2007, 06:25 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

For racing pads I've used either:

Carbotech XP-12 frt/XP 10 rear

or Wilwood " H "

Carbo-tech's are more "Rotor friendly"... and you don't need to worry about the dust.

Last edited by trumper Z06; 07-27-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:06 PM
z06jones
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I've used racingbrake.com ET900 and ET800 at VIR on a double stinted C6 Z06 with very good results. The ET's at 15% thicker than stock and wear better than the hawks's I've used in the past. The 800's are slightly less agressive than the 900's and don't squeak very much when used on the street. The 900's are very agressive track pads which are very good with R-compond tires or slicks. Either ones will easily last the whole weekend. As a bonus the ET's are less expensive than the hawks and carbotech's
Old 07-28-2007, 09:55 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Taking Z to VIR Aug 9th for first time. I was going to order some cheap rotors to take as a back-up and need to get some pads also. I have Hawk + on now, but they dust so bad, I am ready to replace. I figure I will burn thru them enough at VIR that they will need replacing. I try to do the HPDEs at leat every other month and my car is a daily driver. I would like to do ceramics for street and some dedicated track pads(?). I did search but no real answers for tracks. Whick track pads and where is the best place to get them. Getting rotors from RockAuo.com, but didn't recognize their pads. Thanks for the help.
If you have a lot of experience at other tracks and expect to run hard at VIR once you learn the layout, then maybe something beyond the Hawk + is worth it. Carbotechs seem to be the way to go for the experienced guys; I am sure they eat up rotors more than the Hawks would.

For a beginner like me, I tried the Hawk + and it was an unnecessary expense. The stock pads would have been fine, I did not run the car that hard. Rotors too--I'm glad I didn't decide I needed spares.

I have extra wheels for the front so I don't care about the dust from whatever pad I run.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:30 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Another vote for Carbotech here. I run xp10 front xp8 back. May move to 12/10 soon.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:06 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Carbotechs seem to be the way to go for the experienced guys; I am sure they eat up rotors more than the Hawks would.
NOT!!
Carbotech uses ceramics in their mix and not so much Carbon (like Hawk and others). Carbon changes its characteristics when heated - to that of a hard drill bit which eats the rotors. Ceramics have a higher temperature range before it changes so you don't get quite the abrasive effect/affect. Aggressive pads of any kind are going to scar your rotors more than stock - no question; but at $25 per rotor, that is probably not a determining factor anyway.

Other than stopping power, another key factor to consider is heat transfer (from the pad/rotor to your brake fluid). Again, since the Carbos use ceramics, less heat is transferred to your fluid so it's less likely to boil.

Try the different brands yourself and see what you think. The choice is still clear to me. Drive hard!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:21 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just converted to the Carbotech pads. XP12 on the front and 10 on the rear. It is very nice to tap your brakes and feel the nose set.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:29 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by beerkat
I was just converted to the Carbotech pads. XP12 on the front and 10 on the rear. It is very nice to tap your brakes and feel the nose set.
Oh yeah, that is where all my spares went - glad you are happy with them!

Last edited by varkwso; 07-29-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

I run the wilwood H pads and love them...but I think I might try something else and less aggressive - I am really tired of going through a set of rotors every weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pads - Which ones and where to get them?

Old 07-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
I run the wilwood H pads and love them...but I think I might try something else and less aggressive - I am really tired of going through a set of rotors every weekend.
try the Wilwood smart pad. It is the Wilwood recommends for a car that is driving to and from the track.

Wilwood BP-10 “Smart Pads”
  • All kits include BP-10 metallic-composite compound "Smart Pads". BP-10 delivers the increased friction; higher fade resistance, and longer wear of an entry-level track pad, with virtually noise and dust free performance for the street.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

How do the carbotech 8's and Hawk HP Plus compare (to each other)? The c6 z06 i drove at VIR had 8's and I was pleased with the braking...I know others swear the HP Plus pads are great, and honestly, for the price, sound great too!

Last edited by Oyishdog; 07-29-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:20 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
How do the carbotech 8's and Hawk HP Plus compare (to each other)? The c6 z06 i drove at VIR had 8's and I was pleased with the braking...I know others swear the HP Plus pads are great, and honestly, for the price, sound great too!
The 8s have better track performance and take heat better in my experience on C5s and Z28s...but HP+ seems real close to the stock ZO6 pad (which I have no real issue with)...

Quick Reply: Brake pads - Which ones and where to get them?