Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid change for my 1st HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fluid change for my 1st HPDE?

I have finally committed to do my very 1st HPDE @Gingerman Raceway in MI on 7-30, with CGI Motorsports. Been wanting to do this for such a long time, but never had the nerve to pull the trigger until now. Taking my 2 sons, 20 and 18. They'll be driving their own cars, and I in mine. I'm more excited about doing this with my kids than I think I've ever been!

My question is how many oz of brake fluid do I need to change out the brake fluid in my C6? I'm probably not even saying it right, but you get the idea. Is that called a flush? If anyone else from the CF is going, be sure to say hello.

Last edited by Goodwood; 07-23-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodwood
I have finally committed to do my very 1st HPDE @Gingerman Raceway in MI on 7-30, with CGI Motorsports. Been wanting to do this for such a long time, but never had the nerve to pull the trigger until now. Taking my 2 sons, 20 and 18. They'll be driving their own cars, and I in mine. I'm more excited about doing this with my kids than I think I've even been!
Congrats you will love it. WARNING WARNING Will Robertson HPDEs are just like Potato chips. You cant have just one.

My question is how many oz of brake fluid do I need to change out the brake fluid in my C6? I'm probably not even saying it right, but you get the idea. Is that called a flush? If anyone else from the CF is going, be sure to say hello.
Full flush. Get two bottles of DOT 4 per car. Get all the old brake fluid out of the lines, calipers and the MC. The MC the fluid can be sucked out with a turkey baster or 50 cc surange ( used to mix gas and oil ) from Lowes or Homedepot.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:20 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have finally committed to do my very 1st HPDE @Gingerman Raceway in MI on 7-30, with CGI Motorsports. Been wanting to do this for such a long time, but never had the nerve to pull the trigger until now. Taking my 2 sons, 20 and 18. They'll be driving their own cars, and I in mine. I'm more excited about doing this with my kids than I think I've even been!

Congrats. Welcome to a great group of folks.

2 bottles (it generally comes in pint bottles) should be plenty for a brake flush. So you'll need 6 bottles to flush the brakes on all 3 cars.

I hope you are going to use a good quality brake fluid, not the cheapest thing you find at the parts store, right? Read the labels, and look for the highest boiling points you can find. The good stuff will be a little more expensive, but what is it worth to you to avoid severe brake fade near the end of the HPDE day?

If you can find it, I would recommend Motul RBF600 (a great fluid at a very reasonable price). Others on this forum would also recommend Castrol SRF or Ford 'Blue'. (Both are much more expensive than Motul and provide only a little better performance.) No Synthetics as they will not mix with even the slightest bit of the non-synthetic fluid currently in your brake systems.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Congrats you will love it. WARNING WARNING Will Robertson HPDEs are just like Potato chips. You cant have just one.

Full flush. Get two bottles of DOT 4 per car. Get all the old brake fluid out of the lines, calipers and the MC. The MC the fluid can be sucked out with a turkey baster or 50 cc surange ( used to mix gas and oil ) from Lowes or Homedepot.
Yes, a full flush, thanks. Gonna watch a mech do it the 1st time, then maybe I'll be able to do it myself the next.

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
Congrats. Welcome to a great group of folks.

2 bottles (it generally comes in pint bottles) should be plenty for a brake flush. So you'll need 6 bottles to flush the brakes on all 3 cars.

I hope you are going to use a good quality brake fluid, not the cheapest thing you find at the parts store, right? Read the labels, and look for the highest boiling points you can find. The good stuff will be a little more expensive, but what is it worth to you to avoid severe brake fade near the end of the HPDE day?

If you can find it, I would recommend Motul RBF600 (a great fluid at a very reasonable price). Others on this forum would also recommend Castrol SRF or Ford 'Blue'. (Both are much more expensive than Motul and provide only a little better performance.) No Synthetics as they will not mix with even the slightest bit of the non-synthetic fluid currently in your brake systems.
ok, thanks for the recommendations. We're gonna do all 3 cars, and will get some good stuff. My kids have done all these handling mods to their cars, (me too, but w/perf mods too), but we've never gotten a chance to see what they'll do. We all plan to keep the shiny side up and nott do any off-roading. Gotta drive em home ya know!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:22 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

We all plan to keep the shiny side up and not do any off-roading. Gotta drive em home ya know!
That's all you need to do to have a great track day.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can get them in time, Speedbleeders would really make the job easier. www.speedbleeder.com
Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Corvette 98-05 is the newest

Originally Posted by Sidney004
If you can get them in time, Speedbleeders would really make the job easier. www.speedbleeder.com
Since mine is an 05, would they work?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Yes, it will fit:

http://www.speedbleeder.com/automobi....htm#Chevrolet
Old 07-24-2007, 12:00 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bobmoore2

Didn't you mean "Silicone", rather than synthetic.

Anyway silcone is junk, gives a spongy pedal and will not mix with anything.

Virtually all the DOT 4 fluids are all compatible with very few exceptions. Just read the can. Castrol LMA & Valvoline Syntech are only about $3 a pint, available everywhere and really pretty decent brake fluids, especially for your first DE. You can do better on dry boiling point for more money, but for example, using Castrol SRF does not make you immune from brake bleeding or boiling the fluid, but it does cost about $70 per litre.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:45 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

For your first DE, fresh fluid is way, way more important that type, IMO. That said, DOT 4 is a fine and easy upgrade to your braking system. I'm using Motul 600. Best price I've seen is around $13/pint, worst around $16.50. Cheap insurance.

One of the things you will learn is awareness of your car, and how to adapt to change. Stock brakes can fade at DEs, so be aware of it and ready to compensate. No fluid in the world will change that, especially if you brake aggressively. I also know folks that have had zero issues with brakes at many, many DEs. It's very driver-dependant.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Lot's of preparation

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Got em ordered, with a 2 day del. Thanks again!
Even got everyone a G-Force helmet, Apex gloves and some Piloti shoes for myself from Apex Performance. Let's hope we do this more than once!

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549

Anyway silcone is junk, gives a spongy pedal and will not mix with anything.

Virtually all the DOT 4 fluids are all compatible with very few exceptions. Just read the can. Castrol LMA & Valvoline Syntech are only about $3 a pint, available everywhere and really pretty decent brake fluids, especially for your first DE. You can do better on dry boiling point for more money, but for example, using Castrol SRF does not make you immune from brake bleeding or boiling the fluid, but it does cost about $70 per litre.
Going with the Motul 600, thanks.

Originally Posted by yakisoba
For your first DE, fresh fluid is way, way more important that type, IMO. That said, DOT 4 is a fine and easy upgrade to your braking system. I'm using Motul 600. Best price I've seen is around $13/pint, worst around $16.50. Cheap insurance.

One of the things you will learn is awareness of your car, and how to adapt to change. Stock brakes can fade at DEs, so be aware of it and ready to compensate. No fluid in the world will change that, especially if you brake aggressively. I also know folks that have had zero issues with brakes at many, many DEs. It's very driver-dependant.
Since We're all gonna be in the Novice class, I'm not sure how fast I'll be going, but I suspect to see some decent straightaway speeds, which will need some pretty hard braking. Should be a blast! (esp if I get a chance to blow by my kids on the straights)!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Janni
Advanced

Gingerman is notoriously hard on brakes. Novices are often harder on brakes than pro's / advanced students, because they drag the brakes more, brake less efficiently / build more heat.

Enjoy your first track day - what a great idea to take your sons and have a family day. Listen to your instructors and concentrate on being SMOOTH - not fast and you'll have way more fun by the end of the day.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Forgot to mention, they have a Speedbleeder bag, which makes it less messy and even easier. Get that too.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since mine is an 05, would they work?
Friendly advice from someone with pain&experience:

Once you have completed the bleed on your 2005 you are not done. You need to go out, excercise the brakes hard for a while (get the ABS working several times) and go rebleed. Even a tiny amount of old dot 3 brake fluid will boil on you under track conditions.

It is not enough to go to your mechanic and ask him to bleed the brakes using a tech 2 (well, it might be if he was dilgent at his job--but mine was not). You need to engage the ABS are re-bleed yourself.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
Yes, I did mean silicone. Sorry...

Get notified of new replies

To Brake fluid change for my 1st HPDE?

Quick Reply: Brake fluid change for my 1st HPDE?