Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What about this spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:35 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default What about this spoiler?

We've had several aerodynamic threads lately, and I came across this piece from SW speed. There are two sizes and several angle adjustments. The cost is significantly less than others I've seen ($75). Due to the fire damage I'm not worried about putting holes in my rear bumper so I'm going to try something to smooth airflow in the back.

Last edited by ScaryFast; 07-22-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:00 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

soon wil come all the debating, pissin and moanin about areo .... every one knows my position... there are several things on my car that " dont work" and create more drag than down force.. they just cant figure out why no one can pass me>>>>> every thing has an affecton your car... stick your hand out the window on an angle that will "stall" a wing say 35 degrees see if your hand goes down more or back more.. dont worry about gettin it right on the first try.. figuring it out is half the fun wing, uh hum spoiler looks cool like dirt track try it what do you have to loose?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
We've had several aerodynamic threads lately, and I came across this piece from SW speed. There are two sizes and several angle adjustments. The cost is significantly less than others I've seen ($75). Due to the fire damage I'm not worried about putting holes in my rear bumper so I'm going to try something to smooth airflow in the back.

Try it.

Link??
Old 07-23-2007, 01:01 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I can't run it in my class, but for $75 I might give a try on a track day just to see what it does.....

I am interested to hear the feedback from someone using one. Please let me know your experience with fit and performance.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:56 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jon,
I played around with a Corvette Challenge rear spoiler last year. The car had more rear grip and felt very comfortable but that was because the car was going so much slower (5-8mph) at the end of the straights. It also made the car push like a pig. **Keep in mind that I am still a "rookie" and this was on a 250 hp car. You may not loose that much w/ the extra ponies but I would suggest adding a front splitter at the same time to get the full benefit. Either way...75 bucks give it a shot.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:27 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will work, but your problem will be mounting. I know on a C5 the rear deck is only flat for a very small area. That makes hinge function and contouring the spoiler panel a little more time consuming. It will add drag, but power on these cars is easy to add
Old 07-23-2007, 10:35 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

I'm limited only by wt / pwr, and I'm on the threshold. I actually need weight right now...

In my class I can do things like aero with no penalty, so I'm looking for options like this. I'm also hoping to fabricate a belly pan from the seats to the back, but time is becoming a factor.

As for the front, I've done a lot of reading here and elsewhere and I'm not sure I can make something that will actually work. There's a lot of risk that I create drag and get no benefit...this is a simpler test.

I know I can get a race proven nose and splitter, but $1200 is out of my range right now. I have some damage to repair.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:55 AM
KB Aero Biscuit
Racer

Better to focus on the front end unless you have a non power induced oversteer condition. Rear lift reduction can increase understeer.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:11 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KB Aero Biscuit
Better to focus on the front end unless you have a non power induced oversteer condition. Rear lift reduction can increase understeer.
Will a simple lip (maybe 1.5" wide) along the bottom of the front of the car help? I can't fab much of an undertray without blocking the radiator's only source of air.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:28 PM
KB Aero Biscuit
Racer

Fab up a simple aluminum splitter (2 piece) that is outboard of the opening for the Condenser/Radiator/Fan Module (CRFM). In cross section the simple splitter will look like an "L". This will allow flow into the CRFM but still reduce front lift.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:07 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The attached pictures are of Craig Gelston’s car, which he races in the Touring Challenge for Corvettes (TCC) prepared class and NASA ST1 with good success. The nose & hood are from Vector Vette on the forum.
The TCC prepared class is for 1984 - current model body style Corvettes. Wings, spoilers and ground affects are allowed. In SCCA, TCC runs with the ITE class. Aero components are not allowed in TCC traditional class where Corvettes are to be C4 body style, where no wings, rear spoilers, ground affects, or exotic bodywork of any kind allowed.
Ed Gelston

Old 07-24-2007, 12:10 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

RAFTRACER makes a hell of a rear "spoiler" I know they work great on C5's.

It's a little unconventional but his cars are freakin' fast.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:58 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eogel
The attached pictures are of Craig Gelston’s car, which he races in the Touring Challenge for Corvettes (TCC) prepared class and NASA ST1 with good success. The nose & hood are from Vector Vette on the forum.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've spoken with VV several times about this (and other things). The nose and splitter shown are $1200. That's more than I want to spend on this car as I'm soon to move to a C5.

Get notified of new replies

To What about this spoiler?

Quick Reply: What about this spoiler?