Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weighed my 93 Vette. What do you guys think about weight distribution.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:13 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Weighed my 93 Vette. What do you guys think about weight distribution.

My 93 Coupe with regular top, R/D racing rollbar, thick sway bars(ZO7 bars), 17x9.5 wheels A Molds front and 17x11 rears weighed in at a cool 3275 with half a tank, by the bars on the digital dash.
LF 895, RF 890, LR 780, RR 710
W/Me in it 3480 LF 955, RF 880, LR 890, RR 755.
Steve
Old 07-21-2007, 09:38 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Nice car.

I'm in the process right now of reducing the weight of my 94. To help the front / rear and left / right balance I've pulled the AC out and am in the process of relocating the battery to the storage compartment behind the passenger seat. I'm also pulling the stock sport seats and replacing them with lightweight racing seats.

A friend did this to his and said he really likes the way it improved the balance and handling but both of ours are strickly track cars. I don't know how much difference it would make if the car is still street driven. Or if it would really be worth it. Having A/C can be really nice when it's hot outside.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Joe,
Check out the C4 tech section.
I listed my weights there.
All I can say is ... Lots of work, lots of money, & it's still HEAVY.
Anthony
Old 07-21-2007, 02:09 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I can see relocating the battery, and that would help. But the AC, I wont want to lose that luxury. I track my car in autocross for fun, but until it gets serious, I will keep the AC
Old 07-21-2007, 04:02 PM
racerjon1
Racer

It doesn't look horrible, crossweight is at 49/51.. but remember for a true reading you need to have the anti-sway bars unhooked.

Jon K
Old 07-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Originally Posted by racerjon1
It doesn't look horrible, crossweight is at 49/51.. but remember for a true reading you need to have the anti-sway bars unhooked.

Jon K
Correct Jon, I put cars on scales almost every week, always with the bars disconnected. But all the cars I do have adjustable sway bars and they can be set to neutral on the scales.
I would guess in Steve's case, the readings with the bars hooked up would be more important since the bars aren't adjustable.
Also, weighing the car without the driver doesn't tell you much except the total car weight. The car's not out on the track without a driver in it. And, remember that fuel weighs almost 7 lbs./gal. The fuel level will have an effect on the front to rear weight distribution.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:22 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
I would guess in Steve's case, the readings with the bars hooked up would be more important since the bars aren't adjustable.
That's the argument I get.. but all bars are at least binary in adjustment. (I have used that "on and off" a lot running the FWD Hondas in autocrossing)

I think the bigger thing is probably that he doesn't have the ability to adjust the corner weights, it isn't as big a deal, but since any discrepancy is going to be magnified and changed by sway bars, it still will be a little off of what you should see if you were taking a true baseline adjustment.

Jon K
Old 07-22-2007, 11:00 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you adjust the rear spring bolts, the long ones at the ends, to add or subtract weight from the left or right rear corners? This of course will alter the front corners. But Is it possible to get a C4 weight equal from side to side? With driver weight in drivers seat? Only using rear spring bolts? Or, must you be able to adjust the front as well?

BTW: 96 convertible, full fuel tank, no driver = 3,380 lbs. I have not corner weighted the car yet (still lookin' for someone with scales )

Get notified of new replies

To Weighed my 93 Vette. What do you guys think about weight distribution.

Quick Reply: Weighed my 93 Vette. What do you guys think about weight distribution.