Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What racing jacks do you use?

Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 PM
TUNED87vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What racing jacks do you use?

I need a new floor jack, and I would like one that I can throw in the car for events. What jacks do you track guys use?

I would like it to be:

Lightweight (aluminum)
Low-profile
<$200

My buddy just got this Torin jack that pretty much fits my requirements, but I would like some extra input before purchase.

Last edited by TUNED87vette; 07-18-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I use the low profile aluminum one that you can order from Harbor Freight. I've had it for over 3 years w/o issue.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TUNED87vette
My buddy just got this Torin jack that pretty much fits my requirements, but I would like some extra input before purchase.
Although I only autocross , I swap my wheels for each event and was always dreading dragging out my husbands large/heavy jacks to lift my C4. Since I lift one side at a time, I bought 2 of the $70.00 torin jacks from northern tool and I'm glad I did.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3500_200313500

I love them because I hate using energy dragging and positioning the old jacks - these are just nice and easy. My husband has also started using one for Mustang wheel changes. They seem to be reliable - and if there's anything fun about changing wheels it''s using these jacks.

edit - and pepboys carried them so I checked them out there before buying.

Last edited by Barbara_S; 07-18-2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: more content
Old 07-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I use the low profile aluminum one that you can order from Harbor Freight. I've had it for over 3 years w/o issue.
I have the HF jack too. Other than one of the rear castors breaking, it's been fine. I ordered a couple of spare castors from HF so it's all good now.

BTW, if you mean "less than" $200, you need to use the <.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:39 PM
TUNED87vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Barbara_S
Although I only autocross , I swap my wheels for each event and was always dreading dragging out my husbands large/heavy jacks to lift my C4. Since I lift one side at a time, I bought 2 of the $70.00 torin jacks from northern tool and I'm glad I did.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3500_200313500

I love them because I hate using energy dragging and positioning the old jacks - these are just nice and easy. My husband has also started using one for Mustang wheel changes. They seem to be reliable - and if there's anything fun about changing wheels it''s using these jacks.

edit - and pepboys carried them so I checked them out there before buying.
That's kind of funny that you're on here - I read your review of that jack and pretty much decided to buy two of those before you responded!

I think it would be pretty easy to use, especially since I worry about raising one corner fully on my C4. I have heard people can crack the windshield or bend the car if not careful

Thanks for the edit, haven't been taking my math classes!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:30 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up that jack from HF, on sale for $79. It's lightweight, works well, and seems to be fairly well made. For changing tires in the pits, bleeding brakes, etc., it's perfect. If you are doing tire changes on the fly or doing really heavy lifting, I'd go for something more durable, but for the regular stuff, it's more than fine.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:30 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I paid the big bucks on my snap on. Now it's 2 years old and still works like new. If any changes I will beat my sales guy over his head

Randy
Old 07-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

We have the aluminum HF in the shop (I think it's a Torin) and use the JEG's aluminum jack at the track. I think that the JEG's is a much higher quality jack. If you're trying to lower the jack slowly, the JEG's works much better. The HF jack will release all at once unless you're really careful.
I think the JEG's is $129 plus shipping.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:09 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

My Pep boys aluninum jack failed, the Taiwan one I have works, but is falling apart, so I spent $550 on a CNC billet real NASCAR low profile jack made in North Carolina and it is worth every penny. I can actually talk to someone on the phone in my time zone! It weighs less, gets under anything and the handle comes off in a second and is shorter than most. Its is a 6 pump so there is more force required, but I prefer that in tight spaces.

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-19-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

cheapo harbor freight here too. they have 2 models, one with more lift than the other--I went with the higher one because I don't think jack stands would fit beneath the lower one. had mine for about 4 years no and no issues.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter

I picked up that jack from HF, on sale for $79. It's lightweight, works well, and seems to be fairly well made. For changing tires in the pits, bleeding brakes, etc., it's perfect. If you are doing tire changes on the fly or doing really heavy lifting, I'd go for something more durable, but for the regular stuff, it's more than fine.

...same here!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:00 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

I have the HF one (not the super small one, the medium aluminum one) and a Craftsman partially aluminum one. I use the Craftsman at the track/autox because I feel better about dragging it around and getting beat up - it still looks and works like new. My HF definitely has wear and tear, I plan to replace it in the winter and donate the old one to one of the college students that autox with me.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I have an AC Hydraulics DK20 low profile jack. It has a 3.1" minimum height and weighs in at 64.5lbs. Although not lightweight, it gets the job done. And it's made in Denmark to boot.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:55 PM
jlcvt
Racer

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter

It was one of the only jacks that would fit under my car. I've used it for many thing over the past 3+ years and am very happy with it. Plus the price was right.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:34 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I use the smaller HF one for dragging to the track. I also have their aluminum jackstands, which aren't bad.

As you can probably tell, I don't trailer to the track yet.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:21 AM
jdonnelly
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a few. I use a small alum Sears in the trailer as it can be stored upright with out needing to be bleed. If I am racing the mustang I also have a 3 pump Magnum with me for the hot pits. I also have a Magnum 6 pump for the home garage and an old steel Sears (weighs around 80lbs). I have never owned a HF but have had the aluminum racing jacks for 10 or so years and they are great.

I would vote for a new or used aluminum 6 pump jack with a smallish round alum saddle. I use a hockey puck on the jack saddle. There are used ones out there.

Jeff
Old 07-20-2007, 11:00 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

We would go through one HF type jack it seems each season. So I picked up a torin 2.5 ton steel/aluminum jack 2 years ago for the garage (Northern and pep boys have them). 2 pistons, very smooth release, it has been a workhorse for a couple of years now. It is heavier at 60lbs, but feels much more sturdy.

Get notified of new replies

To What racing jacks do you use?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What racing jacks do you use?