Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saying goodbye to Active Handling

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default saying goodbye to Active Handling

Well after a long love/hate relationship with active handling I finally turned it off this week at WGI. It was hard to seperate myself from the crutch of AH, but it got to the point that it was just so intrusive that I really felt it was hurting me more than helping me.

Believe me it was not easy to let it go. Maybe in the back of my mind I always hoped that if I screwed up that there was something there that could help me out, but in the end relying on something else then my judgement just didnt seem smart.

So here is my progression

1. street tires everything on.

2. graduate to treaded r-compound tires everything on

3. move to kumhos v710s traction control off

4. Move to Hoosiers R6 - traction control and AH off.

This is almost a full 3 year progression of learning the car and learning my abilities.

I do not recommend this for everyone, but there comes a day when the car setup is outperforming the original intented purpose of the car and thus the computer has no idea what is going on.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 AM
EV2DEMON
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way man. GM engineers designed the Active Handling on these cars. There's no way your car can be faster with it turned off, and you're guaranteed to crash and burn. I read so right here on this very forum.

Like yourself, I find the AH too intrusive, and I'm to the point that I can lap faster with it off than in competitive mode. I bought my car to enjoy and race. If I lose it and damage the car, so be it. I'm sure not going to live with the false sense of security that the AH is some kind of fix all and will be there to save my butt anytime I screw up though.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:45 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob,

Sounds like you're having a good time with that car. I agree with you, in most instances, you're better off with TC/AH off. The only time I use it on the track anymore is when it wet out. With the amount of power to the rear wheels, I find it's just too easy to break the rear loose when the track is really wet, so I still use the crutch. After all, I'm not out there racing for money, I'm just out there having fun.

Hope to see you again at an upcoming event.

Steve

Old 07-18-2007, 10:48 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We have a little joke around the shop about this subject during a race car build. "cut that wire"

Randy
Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We have a little joke around the shop about this subject during a race car build. "cut that wire"

Randy
Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EV2DEMON
No way man. GM engineers designed the Active Handling on these cars. There's no way your car can be faster with it turned off, and you're guaranteed to crash and burn. I read so right here on this very forum.

Like yourself, I find the AH too intrusive, and I'm to the point that I can lap faster with it off than in competitive mode. I bought my car to enjoy and race. If I lose it and damage the car, so be it. I'm sure not going to live with the false sense of security that the AH is some kind of fix all and will be there to save my butt anytime I screw up though.
I don't think anybody ever said that AH would make you faster around the track. The better you get, the more instrusive it is. AH is not there for speed, it's there to keep your car straight, particularly if you go off track.

When I want to go fast, I turn it off. (That's the beauty of it) I always leave it on while I'm learning a new track. Pretty much for the entire first day. I am a fairly aggressive driver and I have been off many times while at tracks I haven't been to before. AH has saved my butt many times over the years. I make my students use competetive mode. AH on, no TC. HPDE's don't give you money, they don't even give you a $5 trophy. I can live with going a second or two slower on my first day till I'm comfortable with my line. I'm not going to break any records anyway. The egos are supposed to be checked at the gate. jmho

Last edited by robvuk; 07-18-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:55 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I generally run my first run of event 1 with everything on.
Run 2 event 1 is done in Competitive driving mode

Run 1 event 2 and all successive runs are done with active handling and traction control off.

If it is raining, I run with everything on.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm new to this.....sure is a lot of fun!!
I've never run with either AH or TC on?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I made the break last year... I felt my driving skills were being hindered by the AH system. Plus, I wasn't learning to truly control the car as the AH was always interfering and I always had that safetly net in the back of my head.

The first event I turned it off was amazing... I could slide the car, trail brake, etc. It was like a new car.

Like others have said I leave it on in the wet or a new track.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:50 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
Well after a long love/hate relationship with active handling I finally turned it off this week at WGI. It was hard to seperate myself from the crutch of AH, but it got to the point that it was just so intrusive that I really felt it was hurting me more than helping me.

Welcome to world of becoming a real driver!!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:45 AM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

I've done a few events in my fbody, so I am still pretty much a newbie to this. I was going to take off the ACH just b/c.... However after reading threads in this forum looks like I am still way too "new" to even think about driving without it.

Can someone explain how the ACH works in the Road Course environment. Or how it just works period.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Exactly how it should be done.................once YOU are in your comfort zone with the different tracks/tires/seat time,etc......... off with the TC/AH. I was a cheap biatch and only bought C5s with std TC.............now you know why
Old 07-19-2007, 08:49 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE
Exactly how it should be done.................once YOU are in your comfort zone with the different tracks/tires/seat time,etc......... off with the TC/AH. I was a cheap biatch and only bought C5s with std TC.............now you know why
^^ Did the same thing though I have not yet hit the track, but hopefully will be able to soon.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:55 AM
mash
Racer

I agree with Ingle. YOU WILL become a better driver. The act/hdlng can be a scary deal, when it shuts off fuel to the motor, and you are in a slide! Can cause the car to snap, and hook. Very scarry.

Mash
Old 07-19-2007, 09:01 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mash
I agree with Ingle. YOU WILL become a better driver. The act/hdlng can be a scary deal, when it shuts off fuel to the motor, and you are in a slide! Can cause the car to snap, and hook. Very scarry.

Mash
Thata's exactly what it avoids. And believe me, I know from first hand experience.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:10 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RoganR
Can someone explain how the ACH works in the Road Course environment. Or how it just works period.
Active Handling (AH) and Traction Control (TC) work by applying the brakes to the wheels in different ways to keep the car in check...to keep the car from sliding. It also reduces engine power if the computer "feels" the car is out of control...or heading that way. It uses yaw sensors, engine management, the Electronic Brake Control Module, etc to keep it from sliding or spinning. It can't overcome physics, but it numbs the car pretty good.

You can put the car into 'competitive mode' which is not quite intrusive as the full version of AH/TC, but will still apply those same devices to help keep you from spinning. Competitive mode will let you move the car around (slide it) a little, but again, it just numbs the car.

For track purposes, all of the above can teach drivers some very bad habits...but we've beat that horse to death.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by wtknght1
For track purposes, all of the above can teach drivers some very bad habits...but we've beat that horse to death.
That's why I ditched it... you're not learning what the car can really do and you're not learning the instincts it takes to save the car when you need to. AH only saves you to a point, then you're just screwed.

Get notified of new replies

To saying goodbye to Active Handling

Old 07-19-2007, 09:34 AM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I turned if off after 3 sessions. It was doing weird stuff and and making the car feel strange (to the point where I was questioning my C6 purchase)

Turn 10 at VIR felt really strange on turn in in Comp mode.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 AM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Active Handling (AH)

Thanks for the explanation. I don't have much seat time in my Fbody and none at all in my c5. I am not a crazy person on the track, so would you recommend I just turn it off for a Road Coarse Event?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

I was driving around the Glen at maybe half speed for a cool down lap (drizzling also) and without even using brakes at all, I noticed AH going off on EVERY turn. (maybe from the slicks?) Before I noticed it when in hard turns like the toe of boot etc when it's really intrusive, but I never realised it went off on every turn. No wonder why I'm so slow... Needless to say I'm done with it also, the car feels so much more responsive, and personally I feel much more in control of the car in general.

Quick Reply: saying goodbye to Active Handling