Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Ohio Race Recap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:02 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mid Ohio Race Recap.

First off, "casa de wally" was sans AC this weekend, as the weather predictions were showing 60 at night.

Now, the good stuff.

Friday Practice

Mid Ohio is a beautiful track. The paddock is a bit on the small side, but the facilities really make you feel like you are at a professional arena.

My first session on track was a real eye opener. I went out there having only seen some video and spoken to a few people. I got my *** kicked. Mid Ohio is CHOCK FULL of blind turns, and in all honesty some of them can be quite frightening. It felt just like my first session on shenandoah circuit up at summit. Luckily, I remembered that by the end of the day things felt better.

And, as the day went on, as predicted things felt a lot better. I was able to eek out a 1:38.x in the last session, so at least I was doing something right.

That night the Roar racing golf cart (piloted by Falcon) kidnapped me to be the DD on a pizza run. The pizza was well worth it.

Saturday's Race

Video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90211466&hl=en

If you want some real hairy stuff, check out 4:25 in the video.
Also, pay attention to how badly the car shakes when braking. It becomes really prevalent at the end of the race. Yah.... I dont really know what that is...

I qualified 3rd, about a second off James (2nd- Blue Z06) and two seconds off Buffomante (pole- Blue Cobra).

The race was a whole bunch of fun. The midwest gets to run for 35-40 minutes, which is much longer than us Mid-A guys get. That seems to suit my driving style better, as I dont like taking unnecessary risks at the beginning of the race.

Basically it was really interesting up until about 20 minutes through, where James fell back, and Buffomante was far ahead.

Sunday's Race

There's no video for this race, as I was too busy eating burgers and bratwurst to remember the camera.

James pulled out a ridiculous qual time in the 34's to beat Buffomante to the pole. There was hope for the vette community, but after 5 or so laps he had to bow out due to brake/vibration problems.

This race was all about observation for me. James and Buffomante were too fast for me, so I was really left alone. I drove a very consistent race, running 37's and 38's for most laps, doing my best to keep other class battles untouched.

Overall this weekend was a great experience for me. This was the first time I had raced at a completely foreign track. I exceeded my own expectations and had a great time. Now I just have to get down to Road Atlanta...

Also, I need a tire sponsor so I can play with the big boys, so if any of you guys wants to step up...

Last edited by wallyman424; 07-17-2007 at 01:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Mid Ohio Race Recap.