Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minimum C5 Suspension mods to equal or better a C6 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:35 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Minimum C5 Suspension mods to equal or better a C6 Z06?

Hello,

I'm interested in running with the big dogs around turns!

What's the minimum that a C5 (Z51) requires to be equal to or better than a C6 Z06 in the twisties? (Assuming the same expert driver)

I'm not looking for anything fancy or the latest fad. Just proven suspension performance that would be the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-2007, 11:00 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing - c6z is really soft. Exiting - about 100rwhp.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I have a C5 with Z-51. I just got done running VIR Full course with the NCM. The only thing they had on me was HP in the straights. They would pull away in the straights but I would push them through the turns. Ask the lady that drives a black MTI tuned C6 Z from Georgia. She is one helluva driver and we had a blast running together. Suspension wise...keep bilstien sports on there and you will match their perfomance.

Bob
Old 07-16-2007, 12:32 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kanmer
I have a C5 with Z-51. I just got done running VIR Full course with the NCM. The only thing they had on me was HP in the straights. They would pull away in the straights but I would push them through the turns. Ask the lady that drives a black MTI tuned C6 Z from Georgia. She is one helluva driver and we had a blast running together. Suspension wise...keep bilstien sports on there and you will match their perfomance.

Bob
What tires did you/she have? I can't imagine that a Z-51 C5 handles better than a C6 Z06! (Although that'd be great! )
Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

T1 suppension or at least the 04 Z06 suppension

Yes the C5s handle much better then the C6Z in corners. This is mostly do to the wider 1" track of the C5 and 1" longer wheel base of the C5 over the C6.

Now that said, the C5 also needs R compounds, very good sticky tires, Not talking Nittos or Toyos either, more like Hoosiers or Kumhos as John mention the C6Zs HP will eat the C5 in the straights

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-16-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Now that said, the C5 also needs R compounds, very good sticky tires, Not talking Nittos or Toyos either, more like Hoosiers or Kumhos as John mention the C6Zs HP will eat the C5 in the straights
Except it will eat mostly stock C5s that is..............
Oh and Bob, she did have OEM runflats on there buddy
Old 07-16-2007, 09:14 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the C5s handle much better then the C6Z in corners.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:22 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I had a chance to drive Rich Godfroy's black C6 Z06 with those "VRL" Hoosier racing tires during this past weekend's Viper Days event at VIR. His daughter Emily was in the car and with a full tank of fuel, I was able to do 2:06.5s over and over and over in 90+ degree heat. The suspension is soft...softer than it should be, but the power deliver is really something. The car just floats too much and he does not have agressive camber in it at all. My shifting was nearly the same as my T1 C5 Z06, but I liked going to 2d gear in the C6 at Oak Tree...mostly because I could and the fact that I couldn't carry quite a much speed thru there as I can in my car.

As far as suspension mods to equal the C6, I'd say put a set of those great T1 sway bars on there and it should be at least as good...if not better... and they're cheap too!!!!! I don't think you'll need the whole T1 kit.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:14 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I had a chance to drive Rich Godfroy's black C6 Z06 with those "VRL" Hoosier racing tires during this past weekend's Viper Days event at VIR. His daughter Emily was in the car and with a full tank of fuel, I was able to do 2:06.5s over and over and over in 90+ degree heat. The suspension is soft...softer than it should be, but the power deliver is really something. The car just floats too much and he does not have agressive camber in it at all. My shifting was nearly the same as my T1 C5 Z06, but I liked going to 2d gear in the C6 at Oak Tree...mostly because I could and the fact that I couldn't carry quite a much speed thru there as I can in my car.

As far as suspension mods to equal the C6, I'd say put a set of those great T1 sway bars on there and it should be at least as good...if not better... and they're cheap too!!!!! I don't think you'll need the whole T1 kit.
Ok.. so excuse me for being a bit dense, but with a soft wider tire and T1 sways, my C5 with Z51 springs and shocks will out handle a C6 Z06 in the twisties??
Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

GM Performance will be coming out with a NEW Track Kit option(s) for the C6Z. Steve Eply is his Super Touring SCCA C6Z06 is testing the new sway bars and new shocks.

He said it works much better then the basic C6T1 system, but the car still pushes in places like VIRs Turn 1. Says he has to thottle steer the car to prevent pushing where in the C5s, the driver just rolls on the thottle out of Turn 1

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-16-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:26 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MyFirstCorvette
Ok.. so excuse me for being a bit dense, but with a soft wider tire and T1 sways, my C5 with Z51 springs and shocks will out handle a C6 Z06 in the twisties??
Your Z51 springs are on the soft side, but those T1 bars are terrific and will really make your car handle. It will certainly handle better and would be about a dead heat I think between the two cars...given everything else the same.

You can't really make a blanket statement like that though. There are just too many variables in the mix...

1. How is your suspension set up? Camber? Tires? Has your suspension been properly set up - ride height, rake, corner weighted, zero'd sway bars, weight of your car...and on and on and on.

2. What has been done to the C6 Z??

3. What kind of twisties? - slow rolling corners like Roebling or fast weight transfer esses like VIR?

Even from the factory, all cars are different. Every driver is going to be different too ...with different likes and feels. There's just no way to say for sure which would be faster until you get those two cars and test the crap out of them. One good test is worth 1000 opinions. I'll be happy to volunteer as one of your test drivers though!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

the C6Zs HP will eat the C5 in the straights
We were able to hang with them at VIR/NCM in my car...surprisingly.
I expected more from their torque out of the corners.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bink
We were able to hang with them at VIR/NCM in my car...surprisingly.
I expected more from their torque out of the corners.
A lot of ppl found that out. But then again I did hit 171 into the back straight braking zone in the C6Z, where I only do 148-152 in my car.

Coming though Hog Pen, Last two corners, the C5s were much faster then the C6Zs. Might have something to do with the C5s turing OFF AH/TC and the C6Z not being able to tune off TQ managment, That puter would not let me slide the car slightly though Hog Pen, which is needed for any real speed into the front straight.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-16-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

...I did hit 171 into the back straight braking zone in the C6Z, where I only do 148-152 in my car.
Holy smokes! I'd hit about 154mph well before the braking zone and backed off. Mainly cuz I was sceeerrred. Seat time and more confidence in brakes will get me there over time . I'm running with T1 sways and Kumho 710s and didn't feel like the C6Z had an advantage (at least not in the blue group). My stroker motor equaled the field on the straights also
Old 07-16-2007, 06:44 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Your Z51 springs are on the soft side, but those T1 bars are terrific and will really make your car handle. It will certainly handle better and would be about a dead heat I think between the two cars...given everything else the same.

You can't really make a blanket statement like that though. There are just too many variables in the mix...

1. How is your suspension set up? Camber? Tires? Has your suspension been properly set up - ride height, rake, corner weighted, zero'd sway bars, weight of your car...and on and on and on.

2. What has been done to the C6 Z??

3. What kind of twisties? - slow rolling corners like Roebling or fast weight transfer esses like VIR?

Even from the factory, all cars are different. Every driver is going to be different too ...with different likes and feels. There's just no way to say for sure which would be faster until you get those two cars and test the crap out of them. One good test is worth 1000 opinions. I'll be happy to volunteer as one of your test drivers though!
Thanks for the input! It's real encouraging to know that I don't need much work to hang with the C6 Z in the twisties (I've got the straights covered already, I believe)

So T1 sways it is!

Is it worthwhile to upgrade the Z51 to Z06 suspension by just replacing the rear spring? Or are T1 springs the way to go? Leave the shocks or go '04 or adjustable?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:16 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the input! It's real encouraging to know that I don't need much work to hang with the C6 Z in the twisties (I've got the straights covered already, I believe)

So T1 sways it is!

Is it worthwhile to upgrade the Z51 to Z06 suspension by just replacing the rear spring? Or are T1 springs the way to go? Leave the shocks or go '04 or adjustable?

Thanks!
If you're going to change springs, you might as well go the full race T1.

Leave the shocks alone. If you've never dealt with adjustable shocks before, you'll spend $7K and shoot yourself in the foot trying to figure them out. If you have tons of seat time and can set up a car the right way, then have at it. Of course, you could always buy those shocks...and I am for hire to help set up the car.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of ppl found that out. But then again I did hit 171 into the back straight braking zone in the C6Z, where I only do 148-152 in my car.

Coming though Hog Pen, Last two corners, the C5s were much faster then the C6Zs. Might have something to do with the C5s turing OFF AH/TC and the C6Z not being able to tune off TQ managment, That puter would not let me slide the car slightly though Hog Pen, which is needed for any real speed into the front straight.

I think the fact that people are catching c6z06's in c5's is due to car prep and driver experience.. I have run with a couple of c6zs with slicks that run under 2:05...I cannot get past 2:10 in my stock z06, and I don't think there is that much left...

I'm not as lucky as Tom, as I never got cut loose in a new z06, but the new z51 felt a bit squishy, and that 'pewter did seem to be doing some funny things, and I thought I had everything turned off. New 08 did hit well over 155, and will easily do over 160, as I was not completely mashing it...

From all reports that I have heard from the fellow instructor regulars, who Tom has cut loose in the new z06 the suspension is not as stiff as the c5 z06. In my mind, the new z06 should still be a much faster car, because 427 ci is a big motor.

Tim

Get notified of new replies

To Minimum C5 Suspension mods to equal or better a C6 Z06?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:19 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

If you're going to change springs, you might as well go the full race T1.

Leave the shocks alone. If you've never dealt with adjustable shocks before, you'll spend $7K and shoot yourself in the foot trying to figure them out. If you have tons of seat time and can set up a car the right way, then have at it. Of course, you could always buy those shocks...and I am for hire to help set up the car.
Soo....

T1 sways and springs.. '04 Z06 shocks? Will that be the best bang for the buck handling wise?

Once I get more experience, I'd be more than happy to pay for a pro to set up my car for road racing.

Or, we could barter. I could have a kick *** website built for you!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Soo....

T1 sways and springs.. '04 Z06 shocks? Will that be the best bang for the buck handling wise?

Once I get more experience, I'd be more than happy to pay for a pro to set up my car for road racing.

Or, we could barter. I could have a kick *** website built for you!
Deal! I'll be in touch tomorrow and we'll plan your car's transformation.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Deal! I'll be in touch tomorrow and we'll plan your car's transformation.
Sent you an email with my contact info!

Quick Reply: Minimum C5 Suspension mods to equal or better a C6 Z06?