Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 Brake caliper pins

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 12:26 AM
jmc5
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C6 Z06 Brake caliper pins

I've just finished swapping new front brake pads onto my Z06.

The pins really have me worried. I stripped two of them in this first swap. One I was able to remove with a lot of work, a big hammer and an unwanted torx bit. The other is just stuck.

I picked up a new set of allen head sockets today, here is the one I used:

I don't know how well that shows up, but the bit is actually twisted!

The service manual says the brake caliper pins are only supposed to be at 30 foot pounds. It felt like closer to 70 - 80 to break them loose.

It looks like I'll get two HPDE days at most out of a set of front pads, so I'm going to be changing brake pads frequently.

How are other people dealing with this? Are there better tools or upgraded pins?
Old 07-15-2007, 01:10 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Racing Brake has "better than stock" replacement pins. Others are just putting different calipers on.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:42 AM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmc5
]

How are other people dealing with this?
They are buying brakes that are not total junk. Lots of band-aid products out there for the C6Z brakes now, but it is just not a good system, and even worse if you track often. Give Stoptech or another BBK vendor a call, you will be glad you did.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ICaughtVetteFever
They are buying brakes that are not total junk. Lots of band-aid products out there for the C6Z brakes now, but it is just not a good system, and even worse if you track often. Give Stoptech or another BBK vendor a call, you will be glad you did.

J,

I agree with the above quote, but to answer your question, try applying Loc-Tite Copper antiseize to the shaft and threads of your caliper pins. This is a high-temperature anti-seize compound.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:14 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remove the caliper completely. I haven't even tried to remove the bolts
Old 07-15-2007, 08:34 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Just remove the caliper completely.
and throw it in the trash or give them to someone you really, really don't like.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:13 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I think Racing Brake has "better than stock" replacement pins. Others are just putting different calipers on.
The GM OEM pads supply new pins. Racing Brake's stainless steel pins are definitely a better solution
Old 07-15-2007, 03:42 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I just purchased the Racing Brake replacement pins. They are fantastic.

Don't mess with the upper and lower pins. Just remove the centers and you can replace the pads.

Anti-seize does help.

I tried the take the caliper off method. That too is a PITA! to get the pads in.

It's pretty simple IMHO. If you track your Z and frequently replace the pads, replace these gimmick calipers with Brembos, Stoptech, Racing Brake, ETC. I have no interest in having to deal with this nonsense at the track, that's for sure.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:42 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

We have had too many problems with the pins, so we don't remove them. The RB pins are only slighty better, but the fact is that the stock C6Z calipers are not fit for track work. We have had increadable performance from the Baer MonoBlock Extreeme plus brake set up. I think that these calipers are on par with AP and Alcon at a fraction of the price and I like the Baer rotors better than the Stoptech.

I was on the phone with Performance Friction on Thursday nd they are almost ready to roll out their MonoBlock Caliper/Direct Drive Rotor system for the C6Z. This is probably one of the very very best rotor designs to come along in a long time. As of Thursday, they could only confirm racing pads were available for this set up, but Jaso is supposed to call me tomorrow to tell me when Z-rated street pads would be available.

Up until now, we have been very happy with the Baer Extreme plus, they come loaded with street pads and we have been loading in PFC "01" pads for the track. My customers are reporting that the performance is awesome, and for the mount of money that they are saving on brake pads, that the bigger brake system will easily pay for itself within two years, if you track your car alot.

And if you haven't trashed your stock brakes, you should be able to sell them to a regular C6 or C5 guy for a grand or so.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:47 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

1. Get an impact hex socket.
2. Buy new pads from GM, make sure they come with the new torx bolts
3. buy torx impact socket.

I bought the RB replacement pin bolts and wow what a waste of money. Now instead of a broken tool (craftsman allen socket like you used), I have stripped hex head pin bolts that are not worth the effort to remove so I am leaving them in there. I removed the caliper and it's a PITA but better than dealing with removal of the pin bolts.

Actually, I'm just kidding about steps 2 and 3, the GM pads are not worth the $$$. You might be able to find some torx pin bolts from someone with a newer z06 that has upgraded their brakes.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Just remove the caliper completely. I haven't even tried to remove the bolts
it's just the way it has to be done

Originally Posted by ghoffman
and throw it in the trash or give them to someone you really, really don't like.
Gary, if I throw my stock calipers in the trash will you give me free calipers?

Originally Posted by rudyarias
The GM OEM pads supply new pins. Racing Brake's stainless steel pins are definitely a better solution
see post below

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
1...I bought the RB replacement pin bolts and wow what a waste of money.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:27 AM
jmc5
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
I bought the RB replacement pin bolts and wow what a waste of money. Now instead of a broken tool (craftsman allen socket like you used), I have stripped hex head pin bolts that are not worth the effort to remove so I am leaving them in there.
Ouch... So even the upgraded pin bolts stripped. Not good at all.

I really wanted to leave this car stock, but...

Maybe someone can chime in with a caliper suggestion.

What I'm looking for is less maintenance, not huge performance
improvements.

Needs to fit under factory wheels. Bonus points for no spacers.

Major bonus points if they work with the factory stock rotors.

Nice fat pads that last more than a day or two!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:50 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

[QUOTE=Gary2KC5;1561121158Gary, if I throw my stock calipers in the trash will you give me free calipers?
[/QUOTE]
Yea, sure! I started off very optimistic about these but the design is just so inadequate on any and all aspects. I even recieved a nasty/threatening phone call from a representative of PBR for my comments here. All that did was harden my resolve that these have no redeeming value at all.
I am very happy with the PFC zr33 calipers with the 21mm thick pads. Yes they work with stock rotors or C5 rotors (we use a modular caliper adapter) or any other rotor from 13 inch to 14+ inch and only require a 1/8 spacer for the OE wheels and are 100% made in USA. I truly feel that there is no better caliper system available anywhere.

14 inch Hardbar rotor

13 inch NAPA rotor

pad comparison

OE wheels
Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have REALLY tried with these brakes, all different compounds. But as stated above, they are just not meant for repeated track days. Even if the pads were easy to replace and the bolts slid in and out, the wear rate of the paddlets is UNPRECIDENTED and UNACCEPTABLE.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:32 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

So Gary, are you running a 97 pad for your "Street pad" ? and an '01', '03' or '05' for a track pad?

Don't the '97's squeel on the street? I know that PFC doesn't make a Z-rated or CM pad for that caliper. And so far all the customers that I have talked to want both a street pad and a track pad.

Hum, or maybe we supply them '01's and a stereo upgrade and some sound deadening.

PS. I'm installing another one of your "A-arm" stud kits on another C6Z next week. That first one worked great and the customer is really happy with being able to change camber at the track by only adding or pulling shims and resetting toe. Great job, great product!

Last edited by C5stein; 07-18-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:40 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks, Mark!
Actually I did not like the 97's either at the track (I melted the surface) or the street. I really like the 05 compound but yes, it is noisy sometimes. I am thinking on sending a set of the old pads to Carbotech or Porterfield and have them make me some street pads. I have used the 05 pads down to 15 degrees (F) and it still works great. It has a very flat torque-temp curve, best pad I have ever used period.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:17 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Good to know. Thanks for the info Gary. Yes the '05's have been really great on some of the Tour Cars that we supply brakes to. I just ordered some of the newer '07' pads to try them out. My sales guy at PFC says that they are too much for DOT COMP tires, but they are awesome with slicks.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Brake caliper pins

Old 07-30-2007, 08:00 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Mark,
Ask your PFC guy of he can get the 07 for this caliper. I think the new Hoosier R6 with our Penske/dual rate coilovers setup has a grip level very near any non-DOT setup. I would at least like to try it at NHIS on August 16 with brand new R6's.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:30 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

He said that the new PFC '07' pads should be available in the next two weeks.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:55 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks Mark, I will try the 05 and 07 back to back on the 16th at NHIS.

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 Brake caliper pins