Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

StopTech Stage 2 kit, or something else?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default StopTech Stage 2 kit, or something else?

I've just read a TON of threads and stickies on brakes, and I'm pretty confused. I could use your input.

This is for a '02 Coupe, mods in sig. Daily driver, but I do drive it hard and I have had occasional issues with brake fade in the past. I might try an HPDE at nearby Sebring, but that will be a rare thing for me. The original rotors got "heat-spotted" when I was driving across Nevada last summer, and have since developed some small cracks in those areas.

I have some new C5 Z06 calipers sitting here that I've wanted to install for a while. Yes, I know, bling only. I also don't like how the stock rotors rust all over my wheels.

So, I want to install the Z06 calipers, new non-rusting rotors, hopefully better pads and fluid, and what the heck, stainless lines. StopTech has their "Stage 2" kit which includes all that. StopTech slotted and cad-plated rotors, StopTech lines, Hawk HPS pads, Motul 600 fluid. LG lists this for $700.

This sounds like what I'm looking for. Is it?

Is there something else I should be looking at?

Anyone know of a cheaper source?

Is there anything else I should be installing while I'm in there? I was considering DRM brake ducts. Worth doing, or waste of time for a street car?

Your advice and comments appreciated.

Last edited by Gannet; 07-13-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:31 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Platted rotors only look good new. In most cases the plating needs to be removed from the fire path for the brakes to work optimally.

Platting is removed by hard braking. Then that fire path can still rust for low use cars.

Hats of any new rotor can be painted with high temp paint if that is what you want.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:19 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

In my experience the plated rotors look good for about 6 months or so. The plating must wear off the pad path on the rotor for effective braking. In the rain the bare metal will be subject to rusting and water will run down over the other plated areas staining them. I would use a good high temp paint on the hats - lasts as long, looks good and is much cheaper. The DRM ducts are a waste of $ on a street driven car. Your brakes will never get hot enough for any benefit. If you run track days or HPDE frequently they are well worth the $. DRM ducts are going to be my next mod.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Anybody else?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:51 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gannet
I have some new C5 Z06 calipers sitting here that I've wanted to install for a while. Yes, I know, bling only.
So, there's no difference between the base C5 calipers and the C5 Z06's except red paint?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:46 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6Vette02
So, there's no difference between the base C5 calipers and the C5 Z06's except red paint?
Correct.

Get notified of new replies

To StopTech Stage 2 kit, or something else?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: StopTech Stage 2 kit, or something else?