Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Tall Bob's newest ride!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Tall Bob's newest ride!

OK, OK.... I know it's not completely Corvette related (yes, there is a Corvette in this video) but I wanted to show off my newest track toy.

Don't worry, my Z06 is still a blast to drive and is being readied for its' next event later this month, but for very little money, you can run VERY fast in this little sucker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LqzafQMHGk

(Watch for my friend in the yellow Z06!)

Here is a pic of the car after being painted last week:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Picture059.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Picture064.jpg

And, for those of you who just have to see videos of Corvettes and just can't stand the thought of something like that Roadster, here are a whole bunch of my videos of track events in the Corvette:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=tootallbob

Last edited by Too Tall Bob; 07-16-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:56 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 07-12-2007, 08:02 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Me likey.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:13 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That roadster appears to be an amazing little vehicle. What type of engine, driveline, HP, etc. Also cost if you don't mind us asking - Inquiring minds want to know facts please
Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Details? Was the yellow Z modded?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Shame on you Bob for picking on other drivers like that.

What I want to know is if you make those hand gestures at me when you come up behind me?

It looked like a fine day at MMP!

Fastest regards,

Oli
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Janet Curran
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Bob, that is so cool

It has changed since I climbed into it. What have you done besides the paint, extended the chasis and raised the roll cage?

Will you be running the series with Barry & Jordan?

I want to see that roadster in person, too bad it won't take a passenger

Janet
Old 07-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
That roadster appears to be an amazing little vehicle. What type of engine, driveline, HP, etc. Also cost if you don't mind us asking - Inquiring minds want to know facts please
It's called a Thunder Roadster and is manufactured by "600 Racing" back in North Carolina. They also manufacture the Legends cars.

It uses an air-cooled 1,250cc Yamaha 4 cyl. engine out of the old FJ1300 motorcycles with just a couple of small modifications to adapt to these cars. The 130 HP engines are sealed and cannot be opened up except by authorized rebuilders, then they are re-sealed again for equality. They use a drive-shaft which powers a shortened rear end out of a Toyota Celica, and there are disc brakes all around.

The cars are built to be a "Spec Series" racer, and basically you are allowed to change the alignment, the rear end ratios, the air pressures, put in gas and go race 'em. Even the tires are spec tires made by Hoosier.

The Thunder Roadsters come in two flavors: an open-wheeled version which is the most popular and is used extensively on oval tracks, although they are used on road courses as well. This model that I have, has a "GP" body on it for roadracing, although the chassis underneath is identical. My car on the scales weighed in at about 1,160 lbs. wet without a driver.

They cost about $15,000 each and there are a couple of options such as fire suppression systems, a couple of engine upgrades for reliability, etc.

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Details? Was the yellow Z modded?
I believe that the Z06 was relatively stock and was running on GY F1's. He told me afterwards that he was pushing the car a little harder because he saw me flying up behind him. This car handles the turns so well that the Vette was no match for it except on the straights.

Originally Posted by Olitho
Shame on you Bob for picking on other drivers like that.

What I want to know is if you make those hand gestures at me when you come up behind me?

It looked like a fine day at MMP!

Fastest regards,

Oli
I only make hand gestures at Yellow Corvettes!

If you get really sideways and you save it, I give you a "Thumbs-up!!"

Actually, that guy in the silver Turbo Porsche had held me up earlier in the day and wasn't using his mirrors at all and was a bit of a "Road-hog". He obviously knew that I was back there, yet he lets the yellow Vette pass and not me. I always give somebody a quick "wave" of thanks when they point me by, but he was not very cordial that day. Doesn't it always seem as though the drivers with slower, high-horsepower cars are typically the ones who are less likely to let you pass simply because they can go so fast down the straights?

Did you notice that I was giving a "Thumbs-up" to the corner-workers after the passes? They were all hanging out of their corner stations waving me on as I was catching and passing other cars all day long. They really liked to see that car running!

Originally Posted by Janet Curran
Bob, that is so cool

It has changed since I climbed into it. What have you done besides the paint, extended the chasis and raised the roll cage?

Will you be running the series with Barry & Jordan?

I want to see that roadster in person, too bad it won't take a passenger

Janet
Nope...sorry. Can't take passengers unless you can provide the Duct-tape and I'll tape you to the top of the rollcage! I'll just have to save a seat in the Vette for you!

Yes, the cage is modified, but the chassis remained the same.

I am right now, as we speak, trying to get sanctioning-body approval (INEX) to be able to run my car against the other spec roadsters. Initially, they did not approve any modifications to the chassis, but since the car was completed I have sent them photos and an explanation of what I modified and they are considering approving the car. I didn't do any "speed-enhancing" modifications, so I'm hoping that they'll allow the car to run.

Last edited by Too Tall Bob; 07-16-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:30 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very cool!!! I love bike motors and trannies. Huge power-small cubic inch-5 or 6 speed.

We have done some chassis dyno work on a spec car. 3 percent gain in under an hour

Have fun and be carefull with the tranny, they are pretty easy to get carried away with.

Randy
Old 07-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Hans Delbruck
Pro

The car is looking good!

Will you be playing with the Radicals at Miller Aug 3-5?
Did you get a HANS yet?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

the sound that thing makes on upshifts with its sequential box is just awesome..

waaaaaaa *BANG* batwahhhhhhhhh!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Totally bitchin' dude!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoon
the sound that thing makes on upshifts with its sequential box is just awesome..

waaaaaaa *BANG* batwahhhhhhhhh!

That "BANG" is the sound of Too Tall biatch-slapping the other cars off of the track as he goes by!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:44 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Really cool ride, looks like a real killer on the twisty tracks, but it was interesting watching the P car and C5 just vanish down that long (4000+ ft.?) front stretch. Then watching you fly the corners without hardly touching the brakes!

One curious question: the sound on the video when you were *off* the gas sounded really bad. What was that? Exhaust? Back-driving the gears in the tranny? It obviously was OK mechanically, but it sure sounded nasty.

That car sure looks like a blast to drive! Wonder how it would do on an autox?

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Really cool ride, looks like a real killer on the twisty tracks, but it was interesting watching the P car and C5 just vanish down that long (4000+ ft.?) front stretch. Then watching you fly the corners without hardly touching the brakes!

One curious question: the sound on the video when you were *off* the gas sounded really bad. What was that? Exhaust? Back-driving the gears in the tranny? It obviously was OK mechanically, but it sure sounded nasty.

That car sure looks like a blast to drive! Wonder how it would do on an autox?

Have a good one,
Mike
Yeah, that LOONG straight was not the cars' strong point, but going against a 400+ hp Z06 and a 500+ hp Porsche turbo, the car didn't do too bad. A friend followed me later in the day in his car down the straight and clocked me at about 135 mph, and I know that I can do 140+ mph in my own Z06, so most of the distance those other two cars gained was made coming out of the last corner and on the first half of the straight. If you consider how much time is made up on those cars in the corners, and then run the car against them WITHOUT a long straight, then those other cars have no chance. I'll be running both the East and West tracks this weekend again at MMP, so I'll post some video of just how the car does when that straight is removed.

Plus, you can go into corners so much deeper before jumping on the brakes, so alot of time was made up there as well.

The mic for the camera was mounted right above the rear diff, so I assume that most of that noise that you heard is from the rear end. At slow speeds, there is a signicant amount of gear whine, but because the exhaust is so loud, it's hard to hear anything else in the cockpit once up to speed. That car is REALLY loud and I had to wear earplugs!

As far as AX, you can put some really low gears in the rear end (mine was a 2:93) so I'm sure it would scoot along pretty good!

Last edited by Too Tall Bob; 07-17-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
The car is looking good!

Will you be playing with the Radicals at Miller Aug 3-5?
Did you get a HANS yet?

No....Not allowed to go and play with the Radicals yet. Gotta go play with about 100 Porsches this weekend first.

And, yes..... A Hans is on order at your request.

Last edited by Too Tall Bob; 07-17-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Hans Delbruck
Pro

Originally Posted by Too Tall Bob
And, yes..... A Hans is on order at your request.
Great! Make sure you have someone knowledgeable show you how to strap it on correctly. Like any safety equipment, if used incorrectly, it's worthless.

Now go smack some P-car booty!

Get notified of new replies

To Too Tall Bob's newest ride!

Quick Reply: Too Tall Bob's newest ride!