Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toronto World Challenge LG Motorsports Race Report

Old 07-12-2007, 05:37 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Toronto World Challenge LG Motorsports Race Report

Hi guys,

Well, another race in the books and this chapter should be left out.

We were at Toronto with the Champ Cars on the street course. We were only given one 30 minute session before qualifying, that was shortened of course.

So we went right into Qualifying the next morning and we were determined to get a good starting spot. So here we go, starting with qualifying.

Heading into turn one right behind Fellows Caddy, I didn't lose a bit heading on to the first long straight out of turn 2. Then in the braking zone, I had a little too much rear brake bias and the rear end danced just slightly brushing the wall a little with my left rear wheel.

Normally this would not be an issue but the walls were a bit mis-aligned and when I rubbed the wall, it pealed the rim back off the tire bead and when I turn in for turn 3, the tire rolled off the rim and I was dead in the water, stuck sideways in the middle of turn 3. The tire rolled off the rim and jammed between the rim and the chassis, effectively locking up the drive line.

Needless to say I could not move and with all the cars sliding and almost hitting me the officials chose to hold off on the full course yellow but after a couple of close calls and my son/Crew chief begging for the flag, they finally stopped the session and towed me off the track.

Ok, now to the race. With no qualifying time, I had to start last. Which in the dry would not have been that bad but read on and you will see what happened.

It had rained on and off all day but for our race the conditions were dry as we rolled up to the grid. Just as they were about to give the “start Your engines” command, we saw rain drops on the windshield. The decision at that time would have been to come in before the actual start and put on rain tires and pull the bars in a fast pit stop. (Cadillac did that with one car)

But we were hoping for a short rain so we opted to stay out and race.

The track had Concrete patches that were so slick that it was like being on wet grass or Ice because there was no grip on the patches. Really, I mean ZERO grip, so it was a matter of just sliding across the patches and waiting for the asphalt to take hold of the tires. We got a dry line for a while then some more rain and in general it was a terrible race.

I was making it back up into the top ten when the GTO hit the tires and got hit by McCann’s Viper which blocked the track in front of me. I had to find reverse and back up to get going again which seemed like it took forever.

In the process, I lost so much time I got lapped by the leaders in a Porsche. (4 races since the Porsche got 100 pounds removed and 4 races with 2 wins, 2 poles, 3 fastest laps??) The second place Porsche spun his car 3 times and stalled it one of the times but still never lost 2nd place until he spun and could not get it started. They had such a huge lead that it took 3 spins and one stall for Ron Fellows to catch up and pass him.

Well we struggled around in the wet, with a full dry set up and it was almost an embarrassment but I finished a paltry 9th. So after 6 races, I have 3 podiums, 2 dnfs and one 9th place. The Corvettes were out qualified by 1.2 seconds on this 1.7 mile track which should be some sort of indicator or lack of parity. But we will see.

We head to Mid Ohio in one week where I got the pole, led every lap and won the race in 06, but if they don’t get the rules right, we can forget that.

This race was ridiculous and turned out to be another Porsche Parade. They will probably get another 100 pounds off .

Thanks and The race will be on Speed TV this Saturday.

See you at the races.

Lou Gigliotti

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 07-12-2007, 05:49 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad weekend. The best part about racing is there is always next weekend. Show those p-cars what a Corvette can do.

Randy
Old 07-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Damn..... Long ride to have such a disastrous weekend. Hopefully you have much better results at Mid Ohio....
Old 07-12-2007, 05:59 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Maineiac
Damn..... Long ride to have such a disastrous weekend. Hopefully you have much better results at Mid Ohio....
Old 07-12-2007, 06:22 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

better luck next time.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:58 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear Fellows wasn't exactly thrilled with how the green/white/checker turned out. Anyone know the story on what happened there?

Go get 'em Lou. With Dodge testing a Viper in ALMS GT2 at Mid-Ohio, how long before we see you test a Corvette there?

Jeff
Old 07-15-2007, 06:52 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I watched it on Speed...you guys did a far better job keeping it on track than the Sports Car group.

The end of the last lap of the SC group was entertaining to say the least.

Good luck next week and will you be running in Detroit the first weekend in September?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Lou,

Thanks for sharing the good and the bad news.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:17 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lou, thanks for the inside discussion, it was fun to catch up with the
recording this AM. Entertaining race since they sort of ignored the
leading Porsche that was so far in front that it wasn't racing anyone.
That left the coverage to the battles in the pack and with the wet
conditions there were some good and bad moves, Curran comes to
mind. Great recovery from last up to top ten in any case. Looking
forward to Laguna.
Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Toronto World Challenge LG Motorsports Race Report

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toronto World Challenge LG Motorsports Race Report