Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye Bye USGP at Indy

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 PM
racesports
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bye Bye USGP at Indy

Formula One Will Not Return to Indy
Game over for USGP

By MAC MORRISON

AutoWeek | Published 07/12/07, 11:56 am et

The United States Grand Prix at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will not be on the 2008 Formula One schedule after eight consecutive events since 2000. IMS set a July 12 deadline for a decision on the race's future during June's USGP race weekend, after F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone made disparaging comments about the event before declining to sign an extension on the spot.

"After several discussions, Bernie Ecclestone and I were unable to agree how to keep Formula One in Indianapolis for the near term," IMS CEO Tony George said. "However, we have agreed to leave the door open for a potential future date.

"It has been a pleasure having the United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis, and I hope that as we approach our Centennial Era at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, an opportunity might present itself that would allow its return."

It is unclear whether the loss of Indy means F1 will not return to the U.S. at all. Ecclestone met recently with billionaire developer Steve Wynn in Las Vegas to discuss the possibility of a Vegas race in 2008. Results of that meeting are unknown.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

in short IMS and Tony George did not offer King Bernie enough cash.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:20 PM
johnei
Racer

It seems like over half of the various F1 venues are about to lose next years race until some 11th hour deal.

Actually the last time I went to the race was in '04.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by racesports
"...and I hope that as we approach our Centennial Era at the Indianapolis
Motor Speedway, an opportunity might present itself that would allow
its return."
The Indy centennial will occur in 2009.

Bernard Charles "Bernie" Ecclestone - born October 29, 1930

What kind of 'opportunity' do you suppose Mr. George anticipates?

Old 07-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

In short-er - Tony George is an Idiot.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:18 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a bright side.......soon to be announced that The MotoGp boys will be at Indy for 2008 w/ a tentative September date. Now that is entertainment. (not that I don't like F1)
Old 07-12-2007, 03:09 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Bernie is a tool! The upside is that he's not a spring chicken and won't be around forever.

That said, IMS is not a great track for F1. I'd much rather see a natural terrain road course than the micky mouse roval at Indy. Now, all we need is for someone really stinking wealthy to step up and make that happen.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Bernie is living proof that there are more horses a$$es than there are horses....

He goes around pocketing as much money as he can, oversees an inane rule set that makes every race a procession... This is all about the money and Bernie doesn't understand a win/win relationship one whupped him upside the haid....

As far as F1 being any serious entertainment value, or even decent racing, it is a lost cause. And this is coming from someone who went to all of the F1 races here in Indy... Will be sorry to see it go, but won't really miss it.

As far as Tony George is concerned, look at what he laid out to make the Indy track F1 "compatible". And what did he get for it... Only what he could bring in from the gate. No TV revenue share, nothing else. And the ticket prices weren't high, and still the public didn't come. And this is in a community that lives and breaths racing. If it was a good show, the seats would have been full. As it was the attendence was palty by NASCAR or IRL standards. If that's all you are going to get, it simply just doesn't make dollars or sense. Tony doesn't run the track as a welfare program for Bernie. Tony simply said enough is enough, if I can't make any money I am not about to take the risk (evey time you open the track you take a risk of a lawsuit) and it isn't about being greedy. The rumors about town were that Tony wasn't looking to make a killing, just that Bernie wouldn't even let the race get close to breaking even...

Last edited by Solofast; 07-12-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would rock to see F1 at Road Atlanta
Old 07-12-2007, 04:14 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Bernie's not happy unless it's a government funded track.

And, sadly, there's enough countries willing to cater to his whims.

On the bright side, perhaps this will be what we need to edge the IRL and Champcar to come back together.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:48 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Bernie's not happy unless it's a government funded track.

And, sadly, there's enough countries willing to cater to his whims.

On the bright side, perhaps this will be what we need to edge the IRL and Champcar to come back together.

We need those two to get back together. There isn't enough open wheel fan base in the US to properly support both. NASCAR is way too popular (for now) for two separate series to compete with and have a chance.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:48 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

I have watched FI a long time. I went to this year's USGP in Indy, and one in the late 70's at Watkins Glen. In short (IMO only), the cars are technically marvelous things, the drivers are overrated, many of the fans are obnoxious, and the races tend to be boring. I enjoyed the Porsche Cup race more at Indy than the F1. If Bernie is happier in Europe and Asia, then at least two of us will be happy if he stays there.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:36 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

hey, look at it this way...Indy may have lost F1 but Tony George still has his IRL series....... talk about a "horses ***".....
...redvetracr
Old 07-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I went to all of the Indy F1 races 2000-2007. Made it a family event- Mom (she's 77), brothers, my 2 kids and anyone else I had room for. I loved it................................BUT, turnout was low each year.

The facilities at Indy are atrocious. Go to any Bruton Smith track as a comparison....Indy is pathetic. Shame.

The best place for the F1 circus is Vegas. Glitz, Glam and bright lights.
Since Bernie was talking nite races...Las Vegas is doable if they can setup the lighting. F1 cars on the strip!!

Bernie E. is a genius. GP racing was a ragtag band of teams, much like ChampCar, in the early eighties. Then Bernie took over (he was team owner of Brabham). With Bernie came discipline and business sense (entertainment ) to the sport. He made hundreds of millions for team owners, many millions for drivers and billions for himself.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:21 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
One wonders if USGP will end up up north next year
Old 07-12-2007, 10:01 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

it was a crappy track anyway, and didn't do the cars justice. Would love to have them at another venue on home soil if it can be managed.....
Old 07-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Road America, Laguna Seca, Miller or Road Atlanta would be really cool spots...

The truth is that those of us in the U.S. that are F-1 fans are a really small minority so there is not a lot of TV money and almost no gate money to pay for the event. The tickets for the US GP are the cheapest F1 seats in the world by hundreds of dollars. I was invited to the Aussie GP and asked what the tickets cost.. how about $800- (US $720) for the weekend? In Europe they have similar pricing for decent seats. I think that you will find that in most of the other stops it brings a huge regional benefit in both spending and prestige to offset the fees that the FIA and F1 enterprises collect as subsidized by the local government. That is unlikely in the US for anything but the Ricky Bobby show however.

Bernie is the 5th richest person in the UK last time I looked, closely followed by J.K. Rowling (ask your tweenager) and trailing only a few mega business types. Not bad for a guy who used to stretch his budget to make the grid...

Age has nothing to do with it, he has venues lined up for a race and they have lots of money to spend. Many great tracks are not on the card any more like South Africa, Holland, Argentina, Mexico and Austria. There are still 16 races...

Wondering how many fans there are? Look at this meager thread and try posting that the Daytona 500 will never happen again and check the numbers....

Last edited by Tintin; 07-13-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bye Bye USGP at Indy

Old 07-14-2007, 02:01 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mrc24x
There is a bright side.......soon to be announced that The MotoGp boys will be at Indy for 2008 w/ a tentative September date. Now that is entertainment. (not that I don't like F1)
Yes, but both AMA Superbike and MotoGP will be racing next weekend at Laguna Seca on FOX. I'm glad MotoGP will be back in 08 though.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/moto...perbike/38724/

No F1 in Indy:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/38701/

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/38692/
Old 07-14-2007, 07:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bink
In short-er - Tony George is an Idiot.

BIG IDIOT

DOnt forget ppl there are the OTHER NON-RACE track things the FOM wants and needs.

BIG BIG 5 STAR REASORT HOTEL Casenios for the Billionaire Asian and Mid-Eastern dignataries and SPONSORS.

Private air ports near the track.

Governments that fall all over King Burnie, FOM and the German Banks that hold the notes on FOM.

If is far more then a great race track.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-14-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Yes. Bernie was miffed because he had to overnite in Chicago - due to the lack of "appropriate" hotels in Indy. There was talk of rehabing the surrounding area of IMS.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye USGP at Indy