Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying used RA-1's

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:12 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying used RA-1's

I recall reading some threads where some of you are using the WCGT takeoffs with success. I'm interested in trying this so I'm looking for sources for them and about how long they are lasting. I believe I read $75/tire and they are off the Vipers?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:00 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That would have been my post your talking about.

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72
I recall reading some threads where some of you are using the WCGT takeoffs with success. I'm interested in trying this so I'm looking for sources for them and about how long they are lasting. I believe I read $75/tire and they are off the Vipers?
I recognize several facts from a post I did a couple weeks ago. Yep, all the above is true.

I get them from John Berget (see contact info below). They're Toyo RA-1s that were shaved. Then they were used for a few qualifying laps, or maybe they were scrubbed in for the race during a few practice laps, never used in the race. One time I got a couple tires that were shaved, then not driven on at all. All the tires I've gotten had 3/32 or 4/32 tread left. I get 3 to 5 track days out of a set, depending on how hard the tracks and my driving style abuse them. The last set of four I got cost me $400 including shipping from WI to CA.

He ships them COD, which is sort of like a satisfaction-guarantee. If you're not happy with them when they arrive, just don't pay the COD bill, and they'll ship them back.

John recommends you use 18 inch rims front and rear, because most of the tires he gets are in 18 inch sizes. So I'm using 275/35-18s on 18x9.5 rims in front and 305/35-18s on 18x10.5 rims in back on my C5 w/Z51. He has other sizes and I think he has other types (Goodyear, Hoosier, etc.) also.

Here's the contact info. I've found the best way to communicate with John is on the phone during normal working hours.

John Berget
JB Racing Tires
4985 Highway 50
Delavan, WI 53115

Phone: 262-740-0180
Fax: 262-245-9413
email: jbracingtires@sbcglobal.net

I've only bought a couple sets so far, but I have been very happy with the tires and with John as a vendor.

Bob
Old 07-11-2007, 10:10 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Thanks a lot Bob.

I actually finally found your post and then the ad in the back of GRM. Called John and the tires were shipped yesterday COD just like you said. Seems like a wonderful guy to do business with. Also Bobby Archer in TX sells Hoosier VRL scrubs for similar pricing and also sounded like a good guy to do business with. He just didn't have stock until Tuesday and I would rather go with RA-1's from past longevity experience on Miatas.

I ordered four 18x10.5 chrome blems from Bob at House of Wheels for a great price.

So I'm all set. I have back to back track days on the 21th and 22nd. Tires and wheels both should arrive early next week.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:32 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Thanks a lot Bob.

I actually finally found your post and then the ad in the back of GRM. Called John and the tires were shipped yesterday COD just like you said. Seems like a wonderful guy to do business with. Also Bobby Archer in TX sells Hoosier VRL scrubs for similar pricing and also sounded like a good guy to do business with. He just didn't have stock until Tuesday and I would rather go with RA-1's from past longevity experience on Miatas.
I also prefer the RA-1s from a longevity perspective, and they're plenty fast for me.

I really like telling friends about John Berget, because it is such a good deal! However, I'm a little afraid about giving him too much publicity. What if he gets so many customers that he starts running out of scrubs, and I can't get any from him? Catch 22 - Do I help my friends or protect myself?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

The WC tires are shaved A LOT, and there isn't much left after the teams use them up. Don't expect more than one or two sessions out of them.

When I was racing WC regularly, I could barely get qualifying, a race, and a single practice session out of them.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:55 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
The WC tires are shaved A LOT, and there isn't much left after the teams use them up. Don't expect more than one or two sessions out of them.

When I was racing WC regularly, I could barely get qualifying, a race, and a single practice session out of them.

David, thanks for the input, but I have to disagree as refers to the WC GT tires I've been getting from John Berget.

Yes, they've been shaved and have gotten a few hot laps. John is not selling the tires the race teams have "used up". He's selling the tires that got just a few qualifying laps or a few practice laps to scrub them in, or maybe no hot laps at all. They still have 3/32 or 4/32 tread remaining when I get them. In fact, they're in or just past their sweet spot when they provide their maximum grip.

Also Tommyboy and I are not racing professionally on them, we're just doing HPDE's. So we don't get the same kind of tire wear you would get during a professional race. And we're not too concerned about losing a couple tenths of lap time due to a few too many heat cycles. If we were, we would be using Kumho V710s, Hoosier A6s or R6s, or Goodyear racing slicks.

My experience is that I can get about 15 sessions out of these scrubs before the cords start showing. They may not provide their original grip for the last few sessions (I can't feel much difference), but they will still feel much better than any street tire. (Remember that the RA-1 is a harder compound (longer lasting, but less grip) than some of the other R-compounds.)

I like the RA-1 scrubs because their fun-per-dollar quotient is simply unbeatable.
Compared to great street tires
1) they cost about 1/3 the price,
2) they give me about 40-50 % of the track longevity, and
3) they handle much better on the track.
Compared to new R-compound tires
1) they're less than 1/3 the price,
2) they give 2/3 to 3/4 the longevity,
3) they don't require shaving (less cost and order delays), and
4) they handle almost as well on the track.

I don't fault the people who use the new R-compounds. If you can afford to spend a lot of extra money for a little extra value, then more power to you, but I'm trying to do this on a much smaller budget.

Bob

Last edited by bobmoore2; 07-12-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:32 AM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

I very much appreciate the warning David. The neat thing about the COD like Bob explained is I can turn them away if I decide they sare too worn. He sells them in the $40-80 range per tire. The more you pay, the better the condition they are in. So naturally I opted for 4 $80 tires. We'll see this time next week.

Bob, again thanks for the input, you are making me feel confident in trying this. I have V710s that I use for autox and our local track can tear through a set in one day thanks to the banking and unusually abrasive surface. Only the RA-1s really seem to last there - I got something like 6-7 track events on full depth ones on the Miata. If I get 3-4 I'll be very thrilled for the price. It's a bit frustrating lapping about 1-3 seconds below Hoosier VRL tired Z06s when I am on the Kumho MX's. This should even things out a bit on the 1.65 mile road course here.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:28 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I'm in the market for RA-1 scrubs in 18 inch. Good thread and thanks for the info.

Stephen
Old 07-12-2007, 02:30 PM
cendres
Instructor

I will also recommend Berget. I ordered a second pair of 305's from him on Tuesday. They showed up yesterday and look nearly brand new, besides the obvious shaving. They were slightly more expensive ($195 shipped) than the last pair ($165), but this pair has a whole lot more tread, 3/32nds by my estimation. I'm pleased.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:42 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

We have plenty of RA-1s available.

I believe that we posted this info up last week.
We have to race on what we qualify on. we only do 2 laps of qualifying then race for 45 minutes. The tires are sometimes used for one more practice so they only have about 1.5 hours on them when we take them out of service.

With a 3 car team, we have so many of them available that we have to move them or pay to have them taken away.

$75 per tire or $250 per set of 4. We only have 275's for the front and 335's for the rear (18" front and rear)

call Bobby in sales at 972-429-1963

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 07-12-2007, 05:01 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
$75 per tire or $250 per set of 4. We only have 275's for the front and 335's for the rear (18" front and rear)

call Bobby in sales at 972-429-1963

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
Thanks Lou, more good info. Can anyone make 335's fit on stock C5 Z06 rears with no tubbing? Needs an 18x12 right?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:20 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default :)

MUSIC TO MY EARS!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Thanks Lou, more good info. Can anyone make 335's fit on stock C5 Z06 rears with no tubbing? Needs an 18x12 right?
Here is a 335 on my HRE 18x12.........I wouldn't try anything less mine is tubbed though

Old 03-27-2008, 05:05 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Bump for peeps looking for take off this season again got myself another set of Tires From John and have got some From LG both great people to deal with
Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have three sets of wheels, one shod with RA1 in superb condition and UPS is dropping off two more sets tomorrow but in a different tire

I have bought tires for 3 or 4 cars from John, they always come in better than I can expect for used race tires.

If not for running 305's up front I would go to LG if I needed to as well.

I am fairly quick but do not think I am fast, having the most perfect brand new tires will make very little difference in my personal final outcome, I am fine with that for now. If I ever get fast enough, racing for something besides fun, then I will consider new tires

Rick
Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

RA1s are just as fast bald as they are new. If you have no cords, you are in good shape.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:53 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

exactly, after lap 2, they are just as fast till they cord.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying used RA-1's

Quick Reply: Buying used RA-1's