Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I cracked my rear fender with my 335. Options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default I cracked my rear fender with my 335. Options?

Looks like the rear fender is cracked. The tire rubbed on the fender. The car has been lowered a bit too much.

What options do I have to repair this fender? Are there things the would allow me to saw the fender and replace it with a wider cover? Looks don't matter as much as functionability and price. So what is out there?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:15 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red5
Looks like the rear fender is cracked. The tire rubbed on the fender. The car has been lowered a bit too much.

What options do I have to repair this fender? Are there things the would allow me to saw the fender and replace it with a wider cover? Looks don't matter as much as functionability and price. So what is out there?
i havent heard of any wider covers. all the wider rear fenders are just replacement panels.

replacing rear quarter panels on the Z06 is a BITCH. the factory service manual says you have to remove the hardtop. This is because there are little screws that hide in the seam between the hardtop and the fender.

to repair the panel thats currently on there, you could remove the wheelwell liner, epoxy/fiberglass the back of the crack, then bondo and paint the exterior.

then again, if this is a track car, some vynil should do the job just fine.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

No one makes add on flares, so you either need to cut out the fender a little bigger (what I did) or go to ACP (1" wider) or L-5 flares.

See them both in this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=flared
Old 07-10-2007, 02:18 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

with 335 rear tires the car needs to be at stock ride height. Unless your running the T1 or heavy coil over suppenion, but then still within 1: of stock ride height

3M makes a fiberglass / composit repair product. Should be avalible at most autobody repair supply places.

Might be time for some body work
Old 07-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
with 335 rear tires the car needs to be at stock ride height. Unless your running the T1 or heavy coil over suppenion, but then still within 1: of stock ride height

3M makes a fiberglass / composit repair product. Should be avalible at most autobody repair supply places.

Might be time for some body work
This sounds like the best idea so far. Time to break out the saw zaw and get to work.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing a little duct tape won't take care of. Remember, you're a racer.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:21 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
That's cutting to the quick...
Old 07-12-2007, 07:08 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Hell yah. I carry three rolls of yellow and three rolls of black duct tape in the trailer.

Looking for some of that Bear Bond Big sheets.

Am not going to allow a little flapping fiberglass to keep me off the track
Old 07-12-2007, 12:21 PM
fireball25f500
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Southern Motors Corvettes at Waterford Hills run wider quater panels. I think Danny Kellermeyer is the source of these parts.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

mini-tub it so you can get the tires in. Can you post a pic of the cracked fender?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:18 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by XPC5R
No one makes add on flares, so you either need to cut out the fender a little bigger (what I did) or go to ACP (1" wider) or L-5 flares.

See them both in this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=flared
how did you cut your fenders a "little" bigger?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:51 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the attached link. I purchased the rear fender flairs from these guys(formerly MaxAcc, now Lewis5). I am running 345s in rear and Moton Coilovers. Car is lowered significantly without issue.

Top photo is with Iforged street set up, bottom is with CCW race R compound set up.

http://lewisfivemotorsports.com/products.html

Old 07-13-2007, 12:32 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I love those flairs.

Matt my 335's did the same thing on the One Lap 2 years ago. Mainly due to extreme weight in the back and Eric's butt in the passenger seat. Unloaded "very" little rub with the T1 rear springs and lowered 1" That includeda a fair amount of high speed compression at New Hampshire and Summit Point.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:13 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
replacing rear quarter panels on the Z06 is a BITCH. the factory service manual says you have to remove the hardtop. This is because there are little screws that hide in the seam between the hardtop and the fender.
You can replace the rear quarter panel w/o removing the hardtop. You unbolt/unscrew everyplace you have access, then cut a large hole in the panel to access the 3 hidden screws. When you put the replacement panel on, you can't tighten the screws, so you have to glue that area down with windshield urethane. This is all described in the 02 GM service manual. Unfortuantely, I know how to do this from experience, but after it was done, you never would have known the panel was replaced (its still a BITCH).

Get notified of new replies

To I cracked my rear fender with my 335. Options?

Quick Reply: I cracked my rear fender with my 335. Options?