Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Ohio..Who's run there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Default Mid Ohio..Who's run there?

I'm looking to run at Mid Ohio this weekend for the first time, anybody have a tips?

Incar Video?
Car set-up tips? Alignment spec?

anything that might help.

I'm running an 03 Z06 stock with tires & Brakes

Thanks,
Ken

Anyone going stop by and say hi
Old 07-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Yea Ken, I'll be there next weekend.

I ran it at last year's NASA Nationals. You'll enjoy the track.

Here's an incar video from last year:

Giddy Up!

If you don't already have one, get an in car timer so you know instantly how good of a lap you've turned.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:50 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Falcon
Yea Ken, I'll be there next weekend.

I ran it at last year's NASA Nationals. You'll enjoy the track.

Here's an incar video from last year:

Giddy Up!

If you don't already have one, get an in car timer so you know instantly how good of a lap you've turned.
Thanks, I just got an in Car timer for the Gratton event, I'm not sure how I lapped without it.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:58 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tons of video on DVD if interested. www.tracktapes.com

Here's a "hot lap" write up to help as well: http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks...io.html#HotLap

Let me know.

Chris
Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 AM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was helping Falcon last year at Nationals, and though he was fast, he needed much more neg. camber, especially on the LF. I think he was about -1.5 Fr -1.2Rr and should have been about -3.0 in front.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tcmc5
I was helping Falcon last year at Nationals, and though he was fast, he needed much more neg. camber, especially on the LF. I think he was about -1.5 Fr -1.2Rr and should have been about -3.0 in front.

Yea, Cass is right, get as much - camber as you can in the LF. I was limited by the NASA TT rules so I got all I could with the stock stuff.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Be careful.

Lots of walls, and little run-off in certain areas!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:28 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is a link to some video from April at a NASA event:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...B5B21E0F7075BC

I might have some in-car from my June SCCA race, but my camera is with the trailer and I won't get to it until this weekend when I get to it in New York.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Ran there twice so far this year and will again this year.

Ran on street tires so far, here is one video

Here is a short one that did NOT go well.
Missed the throttle blip into one
Lucky to have kept it off the wall.

Like the others have said, great track but a few areas can really get you into trouble with little run off etc.
Going over the blind hills and accelerating hard prior to straighting the car out can get you.

Looking forward to my next visit in August, New T-1 front bar, bigger wheels and Hoosier race tires. Should be quite a difference.

Enjoy it, it is a fun track.
Just take it easy at first.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:46 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have over 2000 laps there in corvettes.
Falcon ran a good lap in the video.
For some it is faster through turn 1 to stay in 4th gear and not downshift to 3rd. It helps keep engine temps down and avoids 1 upshift and 1 downshft.
It also can be smoother through turn 1 without downshifting as seen on Neal's video. It appears he downshifts to 3rd in the video just before the spin.
Just my 2 cents.
Wtknght1 downshifts to 3rd there but has lots of experience. Try turn 1 both ways and see for yourself. I have. You be the judge.

Last edited by corvette dave; 07-08-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:39 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fast times in the C5 Z06 @ Mid-Ohio= using the gearbox alot....Must be down into 3rd in T1. Back down into 3rd for the left hander at the end on "thunder alley" also....I use the gearbox even more than that and/or whtknt.......

Saving the car and keeping temperatures down are not part of L98 Terrors program. He is running TT with NASA. No holds barred fastest lap. If you dont use the gearbox the times are way,way off...trust me.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:12 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Depending on what gearbox you're using and where the rev limiter is set, you could actually shift less...but work your engine harder. I found it was faster to stay in 3d gear thru Thunder Valley (11-13) and run the revs up to 7K+, and also to stay in 3d up the front straight...running the revs up to 7K+. I do take turn 1 in 3d gear, but I would really only twist the engine that hard for the runoffs. When I taught schools there, I'd keep the revs below 7K (just lift a bit).

I used a Z06 gearbox and Heinricy also found that using the Z06 box was a bit faster than the LS1 box...simply because you don't have to shift as much.

It's a technical track and it has become safer as they've made changes over the years.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:58 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I turn 7200 rpm with stock ls6 and M12, cant make it to the end of thunder alley without using 4th. Cant make it to T1 or into the bus stop in 3rd either....always pulling 4th with 100 yards to go. The upshift is never the problem, but the associated high speed corner entry downshift is...
Old 07-09-2007, 09:16 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I used a Z06 gearbox and Heinricy also found that using the Z06 box was a bit faster than the LS1 box...simply because you don't have to shift as much.
With the taller gearing in the MN6 that doesn't make sense to me? As it would seem to run out of gear sooner in the M12. I know that was the case for me at Autobahn where I had to grab 4th in the M12 and I didn't in the MN6? Have not run both at M-O but I would assume the same situation. And since 4th is 1:1 in both the need to downshift to 3rd for power would seem to be negated if that was the purpose.

But Danny your situation my just be that since you come out of the corners faster you'll need to shift sooner
Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just got back from an Audi event there, awesome track! I should have a video uo tomorrow...

I am not a world class driver, but I had a ball!

Adam Boca
Old 07-09-2007, 01:47 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Saving the car and keeping temperatures down are not part of L98 Terrors program. He is running TT with NASA. No holds barred fastest lap. If you dont use the gearbox the times are way,way off...trust me.
I don't think the times are way, way off by not using the gearbox although in racing way, way off could mean 1 second.
Several years ago I ran some normal laps at Mid-Ohio. The engine/tranny temps were very high so I ran several laps using only 4th gear to cool things. To my surprise lap times dropped by only 2 seconds. This was back in the C4 days. Things might be different now but I doubt by much.
Try running the gearbox hard in a stock C5 or C6 for a 45 minute session and watch the temps climb extremely high.
I do agree with using the gearbox hard if you are looking that quick lap but not for a long session.
For me 4th gear through turn 1 is just as fast and downshifting to 3rd gear. My speed at turn 3 brake zone is the same either way.

Danny, are you using 2nd gear anywhere at Mid-Ohio?

Last edited by corvette dave; 07-09-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:53 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I turn 7200 rpm with stock ls6 and M12, cant make it to the end of thunder alley without using 4th. Cant make it to T1 or into the bus stop in 3rd either....always pulling 4th with 100 yards to go. The upshift is never the problem, but the associated high speed corner entry downshift is...
Oh you can go to 4th...but the time it took to shift...then shift back down to 3d, I found it was quicker to just hold 3d gear...and there was less chance of a mistake and/or missed shift. I haven't driven MO with the new pavement, so there may be more grip now coming out of 11...and 15, so it may well be worth your while to go to 4th now. During the last year of the runoffs (05), it wasn't.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid Ohio..Who's run there?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Fast times in the C5 Z06 @ Mid-Ohio= using the gearbox alot....Must be down into 3rd in T1. Back down into 3rd for the left hander at the end on "thunder alley" also....I use the gearbox even more than that and/or whtknt.......

Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Falcon
Yea, Cass is right, get as much - camber as you can in the LF. I was limited by the NASA TT rules so I got all I could with the stock stuff.
I'll be in the same boat, but will try to get as much as I can if that's the case.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by corvette dave
I have over 2000 laps there in corvettes.
Falcon ran a good lap in the video.
For some it is faster through turn 1 to stay in 4th gear and not downshift to 3rd. It helps keep engine temps down and avoids 1 upshift and 1 downshft.
It also can be smoother through turn 1 without downshifting as seen on Neal's video. It appears he downshifts to 3rd in the video just before the spin.
Just my 2 cents.
Wtknght1 downshifts to 3rd there but has lots of experience. Try turn 1 both ways and see for yourself. I have. You be the judge.
Thanks,
I'll play with it and see.

Agreed, I'm not worried about temps once I catch traffic I normally can never get in another clean laps so I will pull in, I also have a in car timer to keep a tab on things.

At CMP (also a new track for me) my fastest laps were always my 2nd or 3rd lap so temp was never a issue. Grattan that wasn't the case but that is my home track in the mid west at least.

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Depending on what gearbox you're using and where the rev limiter is set, you could actually shift less...but work your engine harder. I found it was faster to stay in 3d gear thru Thunder Valley (11-13) and run the revs up to 7K+, and also to stay in 3d up the front straight...running the revs up to 7K+. I do take turn 1 in 3d gear, but I would really only twist the engine that hard for the runoffs. When I taught schools there, I'd keep the revs below 7K (just lift a bit).

It's a technical track and it has become safer as they've made changes over the years.
I'll be running a stock Z06 with stock settings for the rev limiter so 7k won't be happening. At Gingerman & Grattan I bounce of the limiter in 3d and find it faster to hold the gear, that may be due to my poor shifting.

Originally Posted by corvette dave
I don't think the times are way, way off by not using the gearbox although in racing way, way off could mean 1 second.
Several years ago I ran some normal laps at Mid-Ohio. The engine/tranny temps were very high so I ran several laps using only 4th gear to cool things. To my surprise lap times dropped by only 2 seconds. This was back in the C4 days. Things might be different now but I doubt by much.
Try running the gearbox hard in a stock C5 or C6 for a 45 minute session and watch the temps climb extremely high.
I do agree with using the gearbox hard if you are looking that quick lap but not for a long session.
For me 4th gear through turn 1 is just as fast and downshifting to 3rd gear. My speed at turn 3 brake zone is the same either way.

Danny, are you using 2nd gear anywhere at Mid-Ohio?
we'll be looking for tenths if not hundreds or thousands looking at the competition that will be there this weekend, I lost at Limerock by a few thousands, 59.693 to a 59.710 that's 0.017 If I just didn't eat lunch

Thanks for all the tips

Quick Reply: Mid Ohio..Who's run there?