Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harness: one or two?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:30 AM
errance
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harness: one or two?

Hello,

I want to get a harness bar and a harness. I'd like to save the cost of a 2nd harness if I can.

Do tracks / schools have some sort of rule that dictates that both the driver and the passenger (instructor or ride-along) both have the same harness? Or is it just fine to have the instructor / passenger ride with stock seat belts?

Thx.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:52 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went through the same process and finally decided that if I felt I
needed a harness then anyone I asked to ride along deserved the same.
I only know one group out here that actually has it noted that same
safety protection is required if two occupy the car.
Randy
Old 07-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=errance;1560978927]Hello,

I want to get a harness bar and a harness. I'd like to save the cost of a 2nd harness if I can.

Do tracks / schools have some sort of rule that dictates that both the driver and the passenger (instructor or ride-along) both have the same harness? Or is it just fine to have the instructor / passenger ride with stock seat belts?

Hi,
Use the 3 point for a while until you do a few more track days and then see if you want to add more eqiuipment. You wont need anything more than that for a while. I'll show you my set up at the Rose City track day

Ed
Old 07-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by errance
Hello,

Thx.
Every event I have been to over the last 15 years has required equal belts for instructor.

When buying belts you need to make sure you do not end up with a setup that isn't as safe as the stock system. Remember the stock setup has been crash tested and anything you install will not be tested. One thing you need to avoid is having the antisub belt go over the front of the seat as the antisub belt keeps your lap belt in place by opposing the pulling of the shoulder harnesses. If it is pointed forward over the front of the seat it cannot perform this important function and you have an excellent chance of submarining the lap belt in a forward crash. The the shoulder harnesses have to go through the seat back. The shoulder harnesses are not safe if they go around the seat back as they will come off your shoulders in a crash. This means you will need to modify your seat to install and use the belts correctly.

The stock belts on C4s through C6s have the capability of being cinched. On C4s the cinch feature is implemented by pushing the cinch button on the take up reel. On C5s and C6s the cinch feature is implemented by pulling the belt all the way before fastening it. To get the belt tight run the seat all the way back. Once the belt is in cinch mode use your hand to feed as much of the belt as you can into the take up reel then run the seat forward till the belt feels like it is going to cut you in half. Your lower body will be held in better than what a 6 point harness will do and your upper will move more than what a 6 point will allow but not that much more.

Bill
Old 07-08-2007, 06:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by errance
Hello,

Thx.
Equal restraints for both seats.

Now some instructors may choose to use the stock belts over the harness, that is fine.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah. I used to run just one harness on my side of the car, but after several harsh looks from instructor-type dudes, I put in a second set. It makes sense, is not that much money, and gives them the choice of using the harness or sticking with the stock belts. I've still got stock seating on the pass. side, so in that way, I'm still falling a bit short.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:39 AM
jlcvt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StArrow68
I went through the same process and finally decided that if I felt I
needed a harness then anyone I asked to ride along deserved the same.
I only know one group out here that actually has it noted that same
safety protection is required if two occupy the car.
Randy
Old 07-10-2007, 08:30 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Equal is best. Quite a few instructors will refuse to ride without, even if the school doesn't require it.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:19 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two sets of harnesses. I use the B-K harness mounts so I can easily remove one or both sets of harness.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

The school's I've taught in, including SCCA, did not require harnesses.
But, I certainly would have appreciated one.

Get notified of new replies

To harness: one or two?

Quick Reply: harness: one or two?