Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vir video full course (please critique)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 03:12 PM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Vir video full course (please critique)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iImPIeFs3dI

This is one of my best and traffic free laps at VIR for the MBCA event in June, it's poor quality and the camera was mounted directly behind the rear view mirror.

I would like some feedback from VIR pros.

I am still braking too early and hard for 14, braking a little between 2-3 and before the climbing s turns, and perhaps a bit too much for 10.

Thanks for any constructive advice.

George
Old 07-07-2007, 03:42 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

OK George

Put your hands at 9 and 3 and leave them there. You shuffle steer too much. Maybe at T11 ( before oak tree) and T14a you can reset one hand. I think to help your hand position you may need to move you seat closer to the wheel.

T1 turn in too early, resulting in tracking out too soon. needed to wait until another 10 feet ( car length ) to turn into T1

You know about not braking into the upper esses.

T10 was a bit early turn in as well.

No need for 5th gear on the brack straight. Leave it in 4th to red line.

Brake at the 2 marker is more then enough time to slow your car down going uphill to T14.

Hog Pen looked good. Your getting there. More seat time and more seat time is what gets you there

Old 07-07-2007, 03:51 PM
gfacter
Pro

great stuff thanks,

I dont know why I shuffle so much in this car, I need to fix that for sure (I almost never did that in the S2000) I wish this car had a telescoping wheel, my legs get to close when I have the optimal wheel position.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:20 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I completely agree with Tom about the shuffle on the wheel.

I also agree that your turn-in at T-1 is a little early; however, more importantly you pinched the corner off and scrubbed all of your speed by never letting the car drift out. You literally drove it around the corner. I was taught to track out of T-1 and leave about 1 car width between me and the left track out curb ... don't need to go all the way out there but you do need to open the corner up (unwind) a little so you can accelerate thru it. You can likely get a half second in that corner alone if you fix it. You were well past the apex before you got in the gas.

One hand on the wheel at T-14 around the corner doesn't really need much explaining. You may regret that one day.

By taking the apex at T-11 you gave up a lot of exit speed at T-12 (Oak Tree) because you increased the angle of the T-12 corner. I prefer to either turn in very early for T-11 so you get forced outside or to go through that corner in the center of the track so that the car is as straight as possibly for the turn in at T-12. A couple MPH out of T-12 is huge by the time you get to T-14.

All that said, however, things are much different when we have the wheel in OUR hand ... lol.

A good safe lap and having fun is where it's at!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:31 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couple things I saw:

1. turn one, you need to use all the track there. a lot of big power guys like pinching that corner off, drive it like you would drive it in a miata, you'll get a whole bunch there.

2. you definitely have more speed through the 3,4,5,snake complex.

3. its gonna take *****, but lift instead of braking into the uphill esses. and stay on the power, by turn 9 you should be nearing full throttle.

4. leave it in 4th on the back straight.

5. put it into 3rd for the rollercoaster and hogpen. you need that power coming out of hogpen. you should be shifting from 3rd to 4th right before pit in.

marque madness was a whole bunch of fun, wasnt it? despite all the wreckers they sent on track...
Old 07-07-2007, 04:55 PM
gfacter
Pro

Thanks, need ***** (check)

This was my 3rd marque Madness, It's a keeper. I am going back to VIR in Sept with the Mazda club, I guess it's my home track now.

Originally Posted by wallyman424

marque madness was a whole bunch of fun, wasnt it? despite all the wreckers they sent on track...
Old 07-07-2007, 05:21 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gfacter
This was my 3rd marque Madness, It's a keeper. I am going back to VIR in Sept with the Mazda club, I guess it's my home track now.
its a good track to call home.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:17 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

The major areas have already been mentioned...

To fine tunre it a little...

You were in a little early at T4 Left Hook causing you to push in on T5. Stay off the edge of the gators at T5 it will 'throw' your rythymn off.

Take a later turn in on T4 going back to the gas and sweep T5 for a later turn in on 5a making the Snake more of a straight line. You need to be going hard to the gas after turning in for 5a and WOT before you apex 5a. You should be shifting to 4th in the Snake just shy of the red line about a car length maybe two sooner than you did.

Don't be leary of throttle steering 5a.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:40 PM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=wallyman424;1560973810]

5. put it into 3rd for the rollercoaster and hogpen. you need that power coming out of hogpen. you should be shifting from 3rd to 4th right before pit in.

QUOTE]

5a is a tough turn. I'm still scared of that snake but I have learned that I was turning in to soon. Like 96LT1 said go to the turn hard let off the gas and the car will rotate a little get back on it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle till your over the curb than full throttle and straight line the rest.

What suspension upgrades do you have? It's not easy going thought the uphill esses really fast with stock sway bars.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:21 PM
jlucas
Racer

Originally Posted by ZO6-Driver
What suspension upgrades do you have? It's not easy going thought the uphill esses really fast with stock sway bars.
stock suspension here

Old 07-07-2007, 11:41 PM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

Tires and sways bro. Tires and sways
Old 07-08-2007, 10:55 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Most of the things have already been mentioned...but here are a couple of things that haven't...

1. You are, what I call, "schmoozing" the entry... which basically means creeping in and not using all of the track at the entrance. To compound that, you do tend to turn in early. That combination, if continued, can get painful and expensive.

2. You are still leaving several feet on the exits as well. You paid for the whole track, might was well use it and get your money's worth. Don't be afraid to track out. The curbs are small, but will give you warning not to go any further. I don't track out at the exit of turn 1, because it's not any faster and there are marbles out there, but the rest are just fine.

3. And, as was stated earlier, you appear to be quite a bit too far away from the steering wheel. There's a reason why you see the NASCAR guys sitting so close to the wheel. You need to be comfortable, but driving with your arms so far extended will wear you out toward the end of the session and certainly toward the end of the weekend. When you get tired, you make mistakes! It will also allow you to keep your hands on the wheel. Pull the wheel...don't push it. Keep at it and practice, practice, practice!! VIR is THE track!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:34 AM
hrtracer
Instructor

Totally agree with comments above. My first impression when watching the lap was that you were just a tick early on entry on almost all turns, and corner exit speeds suffer because of that. Be patient and concise on turn in, early apex is your worst nightmare as speeds pick up!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:12 PM
gfacter
Pro

Toyos' Bilstein Sport dampers and Hotchkis bars, it's still a street car.

Great feedback here.

Originally Posted by ZO6-Driver

Old 07-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Good advice above. As I've never run VIR I'll leave it up to the ones with experience there to comment on your lines. But, for those of us who were trying to watch the video, that rear view mirror has to go. It blocked a significant portion of the track view. Or at a minimum, please relocate the camera.
Just my two cents.

Get notified of new replies

To Vir video full course (please critique)

Quick Reply: Vir video full course (please critique)