Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys with dedicated track cars step in please

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:31 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Default Guys with dedicated track cars step in please

I have finally decided to get rid of my street/track car (that basically does not see the street) in favor of a track only car. I figured now I can gut it out, get race seats, etc, save some wear from less weight and so on.

My question is what do you guys do as far as insurance goes?

If I'm not covered on the track anyway, then I can go with a cheaper "race car" policy that covers theft etc off the track, but not street or track use. That is less than 1/4 the price of a standard policy which is nice, but if a standard policy would cover me hitting someone else on the track then it would be worth piece of mind. (and no I never came close to that happening, but things happen..)
I'm not looking to be cheap, it would be like a bucket out of the ocean at this point, but if it's a worthless policy then there is no point in having it.
Naturally I do not want to ask my insurance provider, possibly raising a flag, so I thought I would bounce it off of you guys that have been there a while.
If it matters, the car is just going to be used for fun, no professional racing.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-05-2007, 03:33 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is still registered, tagged and has full insurance (like it was a street car). I drive it on the street to bed brakes or just check out something I've done to it, but that's it. That's the only insurance I have.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:54 PM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

I doubt you want to pay the cost to insure the car on-track and I'm not sure if any insurance company does that, but try these folks for loss insurance:

http://www.heacockclassic.com/site/
Old 07-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

My car is not titled or licensed so I have to go the "key off" type of insurance you were speaking of in your post which only covers theft or wrecks while towing.

With my car like it is, I'm a little reluctant to go to HPDE's because of the possible risk of having an encounter with cars that may have full insurance. While racing, the risks are greater, but everyone is in the same boat of no insurance, so the playing field is level. Should something happen during a race, I'll call on my "umbrella" policy to cover me in the event of personal injury suits or the like. Whether they'll cover me or not, we'll have to see.

Navigating the paddock can be the most treacheous part of a race weekend. Someone pulls out in front of you or you back into someone can prove costly errors.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I told my insurance agent what I was going to do with the car and that I needed just enough insurance to get to and from the track, seat pads, etc. We put a high deductible on it, a 4,000 mileage restriction, and no towing frills or whatever. I pay about $350 per year for full coverage. State Farm. It's not insured for squat on the track.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have anything yet, but plan to get some coverage for non-on track incidents (theft, etc). My car is a title only car - no tags.

At VIR i noticed a flyer advertising race car insurance for off track...I cannot remember the companies name.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:09 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

don't forget that C5's are pretty darn cheap to repair. Body panels, suspension components, etc arent' expensive new, and are DARN CHEAP on ebay. Unless you have a MAJOR impact, you likely can put it back together yourself cheaper than your insurance premium for a year.

Just ask Wallyman: with my guidance, he straightened his frame (using his SUV), and learned to do some light bodywork, and made what looked really bad turn into a basically free repair.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:14 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

absolutely. these cars are so damn easy to fix.

it makes me really feel for those unibody guys.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:17 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Insurance

My car is titled, but not tagged. I have insurance covering the dedicated racecar and my trailer while in storage, in transit, and paddock (off track physical damage). No liability coverage. Minimum premium is $250 per year. Car has a declared value of $25,000 and trailer has a declared value of $3500. Deductibles are $250 for car and $500 for trailer. Insurance company is Hanover Insurance thru Parish Heacock Classic Car Insurance, 800-274-1804.
Had a claim against some trailer damage, which occurred when towing, and they covered without question.
Hope this helps.
Ed
Old 07-05-2007, 05:41 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember, you live in NJ, so the insurance company will take pictures if you want to add a new car with full coverage. So pictures of a gutted car with cage, add the car before you do the work!

You can insure anything, and the worst case is you get turned down and they have to prove you violated policy. Make sure you go with a carrier that does not exclude HPDE and I don't see how they can not pay your claim. You WILL get dropped shortly after, but I would rather deal with that situation, then a $25k loss. You aren't going to jail for fraud, your NOT RACING.

Again, you are only claiming total loss, not some $4000 crash.

I crashed my C5 on the street and had Phoenix do the body work...bottom line adjuster came out and saw my car with race seats, harnesses and r compounds, sitting next to 10 T1 cars and approved my claim and did not drop me. I also had no police report for the accident.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:47 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Non competitive track insurance

http://www.insuremyrace.com/racing-insurance/track-day/
Old 07-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have insurance that covers both my Z06 and my race car (almost done). It is based on how may events I run. This is on track coverage only. I have another policy that covers my race car for trailering, theft, etc off track....and believe it or not, terrorist acts....unreal.

If you'd like further info let me know.

Mike
Old 07-06-2007, 12:13 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Mine is still registered, tagged and has full insurance (like it was a street car). I drive it on the street to bed brakes or just check out something I've done to it, but that's it. That's the only insurance I have.
same here. I worry about loading car on the trailer and getting a no insurance ticket or being hit on the street while loading. My tow vehicle was hit while hitching up. I also worry about someone at a HPDE walking in front of the car even if they dive in front it would be a big legal exspense. Some kid peddeling a bike into it could even turn to a huge problem with no insurance. I saw a race car fastly idle into a guy and flatten him.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:10 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
don't forget that C5's are pretty darn cheap to repair. Body panels, suspension components, etc arent' expensive new, and are DARN CHEAP on ebay. Unless you have a MAJOR impact, you likely can put it back together yourself cheaper than your insurance premium for a year.

Just ask Wallyman: with my guidance, he straightened his frame (using his SUV), and learned to do some light bodywork, and made what looked really bad turn into a basically free repair.
I agree David, and fortunately I probably have about three of these cars in pieces from only working on C5 and C6's for so long now, plus back halving cars for drag racing I wound up with large frame sections if it came down to it. My concern is more for the other car or person that might get involved more than anything. Thanks for the input, and nice meeting you at ViR.

Originally Posted by eogel
My car is titled, but not tagged. I have insurance covering the dedicated racecar and my trailer while in storage, in transit, and paddock (off track physical damage). No liability coverage. Minimum premium is $250 per year. Car has a declared value of $25,000 and trailer has a declared value of $3500. Deductibles are $250 for car and $500 for trailer. Insurance company is Hanover Insurance thru Parish Heacock Classic Car Insurance, 800-274-1804.
Had a claim against some trailer damage, which occurred when towing, and they covered without question.
Hope this helps.
Ed
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Thanks Tom, nice meeting you also last weekend. Fantastic event

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
I have insurance that covers both my Z06 and my race car (almost done). It is based on how may events I run. This is on track coverage only. I have another policy that covers my race car for trailering, theft, etc off track....and believe it or not, terrorist acts....unreal.

If you'd like further info let me know.

Mike
Very interested, that sounds what I'm looking for, thanks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
same here. I worry about loading car on the trailer and getting a no insurance ticket or being hit on the street while loading. My tow vehicle was hit while hitching up. I also worry about someone at a HPDE walking in front of the car even if they dive in front it would be a big legal exspense. Some kid peddeling a bike into it could even turn to a huge problem with no insurance. I saw a race car fastly idle into a guy and flatten him.
That's exactly what I'm talking about John. I just don't want to pay for years, have a problem say in the paddocks, and have them say "sorry it's race car-your beat". I don't mind paying (well...) I just want coverage that holds it's worth.

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 07-06-2007, 01:46 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Sounds like a great idea. But it's only available in Europe! Not much good to us on this side of the pond.

Anyone know of a US company writing this kind of insurance here in the States?

Get notified of new replies

To Guys with dedicated track cars step in please

Quick Reply: Guys with dedicated track cars step in please