Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodwood Festival of Speed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:24 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Goodwood Festival of Speed!

Lucky, me...living in the UK allows some unique opportunities like the Nurburgring, Autobahn runs, and...Goodwood Festival of Speed!

Went last year and realized it was about the best event for a spectator ever. Attended again this year and just couldn't believe the sights and sounds. Just incredible to hear a full house old school Hemi warm up next to a 19,000 rpm F1 engine next to a V6 Nissan prototype next to a 60's GP V-12.

Everything from latest F1 cars to this years winner at Le Mans (R10 Audi/Aston Martin) to WRC Rally cars to Can Am cars to latest GP two stroke road race bikes to the 'Hemi Under Glass' wheelstander to...

Course the best aspect was the accessibility-walk thru the paddock uninhibited and touch them if you dared (I would hope not).

The focus this year was Land Speed Racing so they shipped in 30 odd American cars for the event as Bonneville is the standard. Cars like 'The Blue Flame' (630 MPH), Al Teagues' 409 MPH Hemi car, Mickey Thompson's Challenger, Flatfire, etc. Also included the JCB which had a few lines in HOT ROD recently-they are a tractor company who set the diesel record (I believe 350+ MPH).

Even the parking lot contained its own 'coolness' due to the heavy rains (imagine that in England!)...how about a Lamborghini Gillardo Spyder in 3 inches of mud or an Aston Martin parked in a swamp or a TVR dragging its undercarriage on the pasture ruts. I left a bit early and can only imagine the mess that followed. Got to hand it to the europeans...they drive their cars!

I'll post a few images...

The event might even be worthy of a plane ticket just for it! Highly recommend it.

Last edited by No Go; 07-01-2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Images
Old 07-01-2007, 07:17 PM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Goodwood is on my short list of places/events to attend.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes indeed one on the to do before you die list.

The pic of the mud parking lot is just hilarious...a lot of car guys wouldn't even think about driving their high $$ rides in the rain much less park them in a field of mud...but attending Goodwood, it's perfectly O.K. It's funny how the car thing logic works

Again, thanks for posting those pics
Old 07-02-2007, 09:13 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

well it is England, if you were concerned about your car getting wet, you'd never drive it

I'd love to go to that one day.

The only time I was in England was on a layover.

Get notified of new replies

To Goodwood Festival of Speed!

Quick Reply: Goodwood Festival of Speed!