Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting a bit hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:50 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default getting a bit hot

I hit 245 water and 290 oil at Hallett on Sunday. Air temps were +90.
If I get an oil cooler will that help my water temp much? What else can I do to get the water temp down? I'm thinking that 245 is too high.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

John
Old 06-25-2007, 08:44 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well there is a very bandaids that you can put onto the problem. Turn fans on sooner, run more water, take cool down laps.

Oil cooler will not do much for the water temps. The best way of fixing the problem is to buy a EOC Radiator. These dual coolers have been great!!! Our kit uses a Ron Davis Radiator and includes -10 stainless lines built with 90 degree swivl fittings. Comes with everything you will need to knock those temps down!

Randy
PS If you give me your e-mail, I can send a writeup on our setup.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:59 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

An external oil cooler will shed BTUs out of the engine; that in itself will help the coolant temps. I've seen about a 30-40 degree drop in oil temps, and about a 10 degree drop in coolant temps.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
..Oil cooler will not do much for the water temps...
Randy
I respecfully disagree. My DRM external cooler tremendously reduced oil temps and thus lowered coolant temps also.

Here's what to do 1st before spending $$ though.

1st get an air hose and blow out all the debris that find there way into the radiator/condensor area.

2nd make sure the foam seal between the shroud and the radiator is properly fitted and has not blown out.

On my C5 the DRM external cooler worked great but if I had it to do over I would have doubled down and got the radiator combo cooler.

btw: imho your coolant temps are high but your oil temps aren't too bad, so the items above may help get the two temps more in line with each other

Last edited by Gary2KC5; 06-25-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

C5s are vaccum cleaners so the first thing to do is pull the radiator out and clean it w/ an air gun or run water through the fins. You can try removing the top rad/condensor cover and blowing it out, but that doesn't always get it all out.

Also... if you have a stock C5 the front bumper openings are closed off... get som Z06 screens to let fresh air into the engine bay.

The oil cooler alone will help, but spend those kits are around $600 whereas the EOC radiators are about $1000. for everything.

I have a Dewitts racing radiaot w/ left side EOC. I also have a tigerhsark facia (lets in way more air than stock) and a DRM vented hood.

A few weeks back at VIR my coolant temps stayed in teh 220s and max oil was 278 taching the car out to 6800 chasing Oyishdog in his T1 vette.

W/o the setup I'm sure I'd have been 310ish oil temp! 290 is the upper limit of what I'm comfortable with... some will say anthing over 270 is reason for concern... FWIW GM has the car set to go into limp mode at 320 I believe.

Here's a pic of the kit I have:

Installed

Here you can see the upper oil return line out of the cooler

Compared to stock

Kit

My father has a Ron Davis setup w/ the EOC on teh right side... it's the cooler side of the radiator, but he's never installed it. I chose mine because it required less AN line and workes to heat the oil in the winter for street driving while keeping temps where I want them for the track.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
johninar
Drifting

Thanks for the suggestions. I have kept the radiator as clean as possible watching for leaves and trash etc. I think I will pull the shrouds off and really blow the condensor and radiator out. Saturday evening we had a NASCAR wannabe that spread oil completely around the track before they got him shut down. Our run group had to deal with tons of oil dry in the last session of the day. It may be that I sucked up a bunch of it and it's helping to raise temps.

That Dewitts would certainly make me feel more comfortable.

Thanks again everyone for the replies.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:37 PM
george J
Heel & Toe

Cobra4B -- did you post images? I can't see them (maybe I'm doing something wrong, new to the forum). Sounds like you have experience with both Dewitt and Ron Davis -- pros and cons?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Yeah I posted images of my kit and install... they're showing for me in IE using photobucket as a host.

My father has the Ron Davis kit w/ the rigth side cooler... we haven't installed it yet. Both look awesome and quality seems basically equal.

I went w/ the left side EOC for easier running of the lines and shorter lines. However its really not any harder to run the lines to the right side of the radiator.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:59 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Yeah I posted images of my kit and install... they're showing for me in IE using photobucket as a host.

My father has the Ron Davis kit w/ the rigth side cooler... we haven't installed it yet. Both look awesome and quality seems basically equal.

I went w/ the left side EOC for easier running of the lines and shorter lines. However its really not any harder to run the lines to the right side of the radiator.
Stay tuna'd ... I've got the integrated DRM unit coming in ... if I get it by Friday, the Rad is going in Sat and I'm leaving for VIR sunday ... running with higher cap Rad only ... then I'll connect up the EOC after I get back ... and running Summit Pt. Shenandoah circuit 8 July. So I hope to have some baseline; rad upgrade; rad upgrade w/ EOC numbers ...
Old 06-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
Thanks for the suggestions. I have kept the radiator as clean as possible watching for leaves and trash etc. I think I will pull the shrouds off and really blow the condensor and radiator out. Saturday evening we had a NASCAR wannabe that spread oil completely around the track before they got him shut down. Our run group had to deal with tons of oil dry in the last session of the day. It may be that I sucked up a bunch of it and it's helping to raise temps.

That Dewitts would certainly make me feel more comfortable.

Thanks again everyone for the replies.
If you have oil dry in the radiator and A/C condenser you are in for a PITA job. I had to pull my DRM radiator and take it to a shop to get the oil dry cleaned out of it. While the shop was cleaning the radiator I was cleaning the A/C condenser with air, water and an ice pick. The ice pick was the only way to get the oil dry out of the fins in most cases. The guy at the shop used the same things to clean the radiator but he also resorted to dropping it about a foot on its face to dislodge the oil dry and other debris. That method really worked as it got a lot of dirt out all at one time.

The foam seals that attach to the A/C condenser come loose and blow into the engine compartment. They are long strips that are about 1 inch square when you are looking them from the end. I used RTV to glue them back onto the condenser.

You should also duct tape the center spoiler so it will not deflect on its spring. The spring idea is nice on the street but on the track at triple digit speeds the spoiler is pushed back and air goes under the car instead of through the cooling system.

Bill
Old 06-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

I would say by experience, by having an engine oil cooler to keep oil temps lower it does help with cooling temps. When the oil is hotter the heat is absorbed by the cooling system. So when the oil is hotter so is the coolant temps.

I have the DeWitts radiator with EOC on both my C4 and C5. Both work great on and off the track!

Last edited by Solo2GS; 06-26-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Westwopper
Racer

I have Dewitts with right side EOC... Last week 205 coolant... 245 oil at Summit Point. Lots of redline running, rev limiter down the front straight or 5th if I had a tow...
Old 06-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Bill... where do you put the tape on the front spoiler?

Get notified of new replies

To getting a bit hot

Quick Reply: getting a bit hot